Again JCS board wastes more money

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Possum1970, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

The base schools just don't have the funds to cater to the gifted students, they are too bogged down with ESL and Remediation. Perhaps the reason other School Districts in the state have not implemented this is because JoCo was a actually a trailblazer in this endeavor.

In this day and age we want to "level the playing field" and give every kid a trophy just for showing up (or having a pulse). God forbid a kid should have extra-curricular classes/activities because they show potential other than to take your order at McD's.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

wouldn't they have the funding if it weren't going to a satellite campus? it's not that i'm against AIG, it just seems odd to ship them off some place one day a week, and it doesn't seem like it would make sense from a cost standpoint either. maybe i'm wrong...i don't know the comparative costs.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the money comes from two different buckets. One from the Public Elementary Schools, one from this special program.

It would be nice if the money would be siphoned back into the Elem schools to fill continue this program, but I fear it would be put back into the budget to care for things that should have been cared for all along at the basic educational level. And I see the point in that, but it doesn't make it any less disappointing.

I hear those charter schools offer cool classes. :cool:

4. Possum1970

Possum1970 Member

Most counties hire an AIG teacher for each school that works with the students and teachers to make sure the students receive challenging instruction. If JoCo had blazed such an amazing trail, after a few decades wouldn't someone else have wandered down the path. Instead it seems more like JoCo is lost. The center has been politicized. However, like any program created with tax money, the only questions should be "Is is effective?" and "Is it efficient?" My vote is NO to both.

5. dangerboy

Its my understanding the the AIG Center was created during a time when JoCo polulation was much smaller and so having AIG at the base school was not cost effective. The AIG Center was created to accomodate a much smaller number of kids. Now that the population is booming its more cost effective to have the AIG at the base schools. So its not the the JoCo way was wrong and no one followed its lead it was what was right for the population 20 years ago (or however long ago the center opened) and now its out dated.

DB's wife

6. dangerboy

I dont think the money comes from two different buckets. I think its one bucket and having the AIG Center open is one way JoCo spends money from the one bucket. Or it could be how each pupils allotment of money is spent. Some of the childs money spent to cover the base school some used to cover their attendance at the AIG center, I dont know.
    If Im not mistaken I think schools that are identified as ones with high levels of students with learning challenges are given extra money that is added to the overall pot. I think this is a federal policy not NC policy but I might be wrong.
    Im no expert of course, this is just my understanding.

As far as a charter school goes, each childs state money follows the student to the charter school. Maybe some federal too, I cant remember offhand. Really the big difference is that a charter school has to come up with its own facility.
    "Cool" classes might be provided if their budget allows after paying for core classes. Thats rare in today's economic climate. Believe me, the state budget crunch effects the charter schools just like it does regular public schools. Public schools and charter school are struggling to make sure kids are being provided for for getting through their core classes so unfortunately there is little room for extra "cool" classes.

I wish I undertood more how the educational lottery is monitored and applied to schools. I understand we have a slow ecomony now but of all things to be suffering it shouldnt be our childrens education. For Wake county for example, dont build a new downtown amphitheater if you are cutting teacher positions. The argument there is the money come from two different buckets.
    Well guess what? The money needs to pour out of that one bucket in to the other more important one!!!\
    Just my opinions

Db's wife

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  7. Moe

Moe Active Member

What is really a head scratcher is that AIG started out in JoCo as being "in" the schools as pull-out enrichment classes. Then they went to the Center model, which lasted about 25 years. Now it's being put back "in" the schools, because the central administration wants the campus where the Center is located to be an all-administrative, office campus. They want the building. So it is a regression. The AIG Center was one part of JoCo schools that truly stood out from the surrounding counties in terms of something special to motivate the learners with the highest potential. They needed a use for the old Smithfield HS, which is why AIG ended up there. Then they decided to pour millions into it for fancy offices and put AIG into the old Smithfield Elem. next door (Smithfield Elem kids then got the new West Smithfield school). So now they'll have the Center probably one more school year and then make their move to take over the facility once they have finished strangling the program. Sad. Glad that you know what is up, Cleo!

8. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

MOE has it 100% correct.

Facts:
    They want the building (for the HUGE $$$ Admin. staff)

strangling the program (yes, 13 to 10 to 7 teachers, Much less $ spent to ID the AIG child, zero focus in the K-2 child)

The "in the school special AIG ID/testing" position {cannot think of this JOB TITLE} was also cut back, so now much less staff are having to cover MORE Schools.

The AIG center will now be 3 days a week, MORE children per class & with less staff... then the remaining 7 AIG teachers will now be running all over the Co 2 days a week doing ???

I --could-- support a return to the LOCAL BASE SCHOOL AIG if there was A REAL PLAN for this.

9. dangerboy

I would imagine they will do whats required of the county to comply with the state laws reguarding AIG students.
    http://www.ncpublicschools.org/academicservices/gifted/

I hit the NCDPI website a lot to try to educate myself as much as I can. I recently was reading about AIG on the site. I learned a child who has been determined as AIG is considered a special needs child. You often only hear what the rights are of a special needs child on the other end of the spectrum. But its my understanding that the AIG student has the same kind of rights. If it turns out the AIG Center closes and your AIG student doesnt get served well by his base school I would think this would be the best angle to pursue if you wanted something done about it. My child is being more than adequately served by his school so far so I havent had any experience but if I felt the school was not complying with the state law for his "special needs" I would be researching this info further!!!

DB's wife

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. ncmomtothree

ncmomtothree Well-Known Member

DB's wife is right-an AIG child is entitled to the same services as any special needs child-it is mandated by law. The center served to fulfill this requirement and allow the individual schools to be lax in the day-to-day regular classroom services they provided. The reason-"well he (she) should get that at the center." Why can't all the AIG students be grouped together in a normal classroom?

The center should be closed if JoCo continues to use it-reduced services now for the past 2 years-as an excuse. Let them be responsible for the every day, every subject services that the AIG children require. It will cost them a lot more $$ than the budget they spend now on the AIG center.

Parents-if you have an AIG child-do your homework and refuse to sign that available services paperwork until you are satisfied with your child's currriculum. Their education is primarily your responsibility.