Freon for cars - Freeze 12

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sdw714, Jun 26, 2010.

1. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

If I am understanding correctly - - R 12 freon was banned and can be replaced with something called Freeze 12. Does anyone know of a mechanic that has this? My Mom really needs to have some put in her car but we can't find anyone that has it. She doesn't have the money to have it converted to 134.
    Thanks for your help!!

2. Ridge

Ridge Active Member

R12 Freon is not banded. You must have a license and a freon recovery machine to use it. There are still garages out there that have the capability to repair R-12 systems.

3. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

I guess I misunderstood,,,,,,but I can't seem to find a garage that has it. The ones I've asked can't suggest anybody.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

We buy our own freon at Walmart and do it ourselves.

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That's with the newer freon 134a. You need a special license to buy R12, and converting an older system from R12 to 134 is expensive.

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

They sell "HC-12A kits" on the web.

7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

let a pro do it. newer cars are fairly specific on ounces / pressure. one of my employees "fixed" his own, but it didn't cool right. my buddy (ASE certified) fixed it. It had 3-4 oz too much which increased the pressure.

8. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

So, someone clear this up for me please . . . DD's car is a 1997 Chrysler Sebring and her AC is not getting cold anymore. Would I have to take her car to a professional and have it converted, or are there people out there who can put more freon in it without converting it? If so, who are these people and how do I contact them?

9. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

A '97 should have the newer freon that you can still purchase and service yourself. Check with Advance or AutoZone. I think it's only '94 and older models that have R12.

10. michelle

Thank you very much for the info! I will do that this weekend. DD will be very happy to have COLD air coming out!

I'm so glad there are smart folks on this board. I don't know what I would do without some of you guys and gals :cheers:

11. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

You can convert it to 134 without changing anything on the car. Freeze 12 does not work good on a car. It will cost about $100 to convert if the compressor is good and I have a mechanic that can do it.

12. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

You can buy the freon but vacuum has to be pulled and charged and it will be cooling.
    You do know my mechanic is sitting right here telling me this. I'm not that smart lol I would give you his number but I washed his phone in the washing machine this weekend. If you want to talk to him I can give you my number.

13. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I saw in the Big Lots ad that they have the 134 on sale this week

14. michelle

I was just coming here to post that. They are on sale for $5 a can.