July 4th at Lake Benson

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DMJmom, Jun 29, 2010.

1. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

We're thinking about going there Saturday evening, but I'm worried it's going to be a madhouse. I looked at the website and it talks about riding a shuttle and all this crazy stuff! Does anyone go or been that could tell me what we're in for if we go? Is it a waste to even try to go later in the day, as opposed to going earlier when it all starts? We have a party in Apex at 2, so it would be later evening before we could get there. And do they allow coolers with food, I couldn't find that online. I do know you can't bring bottles, which isn't a problem. Also, anyone know if we can bring beach-type chairs, or just blankets? TIA everyone!

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Yes it is a madhouse but is worth it to me. We went a few years ago and had so much fun. I dont plan to get there early for the bouncy games they have for the kids. The lines are LONG,
    We packed a picnic dinner. We had blankets and lawn chairs. EVERYBODY does this. There were a few vendors selling those glow in the dark necklaces. The kids were running around having a blast with them.
    I hope I can talk DB in to going this weekend. I like him to do the driving!

DB's wife

Oh and totally awesome fireworks display!!!!! I was really surprised.

3. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Patience is required for waiting for the shuttle buses to return back to your car afterwards, but last year worked out relatively well for us. No kid in diapers anymore, so port-a-potties it is for all of the boys this year which I'm not looking forward to b/c the lines were so long last year. I would suggest taking scheduled or at least pre-emptive bathroom breaks for the kids b/c by the time they know they have to go, if it's like it was last year, the line will be too long for them to be able to wait in.

Also, get your glow in the dark bracelets and necklaces at Party City or Target or somewhere and bring them rather than having to buy them there.

There's usually space out in one of the fields roped off for people to throw footballs or kick soccer balls or play frisbee ahead of the symphony's performance.

We LOVE the symphony and fireworks display and just the hanging out time with the kids. The hassles above are minor compared to how much fun we've had over the last several years there. Have fun!

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Don't know why, but I'm not really into it this year. I just don't feel like being in a big crowd of people in the heat, and usually things like that don't bother me. I'm just feeling like a scrooge these days I guess. Maybe I'm getting old???:?

5. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

i wasn't either. but the kids and hubby are definitely, and i'll be ok once i'm there. it's looking like it'll be a little cooler by the end of the week. and it's a lot of people...but also a lot of space. i've never felt crowded while we were actually sitting to eat/watch/listen or out on the fields to play.

6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. The heat and crowd are the only things making me hesitant about going> I think I feel like this because we have been experiencing the intense heat so early in the summer this year. I feel like I do at the END of the summer when Im sick of the heat, less tolerant of crowds and just wishing summer was over!

DB's wife

7. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

The shuttle coming back as mentioned earlier requires a lot of patience! However, Garner does a great job at this event with the symphony, bounce house, police and all. The fireworks are fabulous too! I would recommend parking and walking. Last year it took my husband and daughter about 1 hour just to get to the car parked at the church due to waiting on the shuttle. Go a little early, and do a picnic on the grounds.8)

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

not going to be too hot this year ladies! The weather is going to be perfect!!

9. VivianS

VivianS Well-Known Member

We went last year. We did not go early, waited til not long before fireworks time. Walked from a parking lot, (forget what grocery store it was!), down to the fireworks area, not quite all the way to the beach/park. We brought our chairs and sat in a grass parking area where we could still hear the symphony play. The fireworks were RIGHT in front of us, we were really close, it was awesome! It was quite a walk, but sure beat dealing with the traffic on that road!