Car Inspection

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Emma Caroline, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

Is there any place that is cheaper than others to have my car inspected?

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I could be mistaken, but I think the price for inspection is set by the state. Don't think garages can charge anymore than the set price.

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

EXACTLY!

I take mine up to Cleveland Auto Repair

From 4042
    LEFT @ CVS
    take the FIRST LEFT
    they are on the right in a strip mall beside the car wash.

If you live on Cleveland Rd you could take it to TAG Automotive, nice guys also.

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

This is correct.

5. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

The differing cost comes in when the garage finds something that will not pass inspection. Example: wiper blades do not cost $30 to install.

I will warn you that there is a lube place on Atlantic Avenue that will attempt to charge you for a second inspection if you fail the first.

6. dgsatman

Not sure, but I think they are supposed to charge for the inspection whether you pass or not. That is not to say that if your wipers fail and they fix them, they could charge you twice, but if it fails and you have to come back after repairs, I feel sure you will be charged for 2 inspections.There may be some discretion allowed.

7. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

This is mostly correct. The state sets a price range with a minimum and a maximum price. You might be able to find a shop that charges less than $30, but that is what I recently paid as well.

8. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

If it fails the first time you get a sheet that says exactly what area failed. You fix it, take it back and they only look at the failed item. you pay once as long as you go back to the same place.

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

My Nissan failed the last inspection it had because the license plate bulb was out and they didn't have the correct bulb to make the repair. I paid for the FAIL and it was entered in the DMV database as such and I was given the print-out/report. I went to the auto store got the new bulb and brought it back to the same shop. They put the bulb in and re-inspected the car and I was given the PASS report. I only paid the inspection fee one time.

Cars 1994 and older are only $9 because they don't have to do the emissions test.

Newer cars are $30.

10. dgsatman

Well, alrighty then!

11. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Yes, they should only be charging once, but they try for that second inspection.

12. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Give Johnny Dollar a call at Triangle Tire and Tow ,located at 42/50 highway

13. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Ours is a Volvo....as in harder to fix basic items in our area. The one I highlighted above was recommended on here earlier this year and I highly recommend these guys. :hurray:

Sherry