Ticket for expired registration

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by VolleyGrl, Jul 11, 2010.

1. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Has anyone gotten a ticket for expired registration and had it dismissed if you showed proof that you had the inspection before the court date? My friend got a ticket for this and the officer told him that it will probably be dismissed if he has it done and shows proof, but does that mean that just the $25 fine gets dropped and he still has to pay the $130 in court costs or does everything go away and he doesn't pay anything? Thanks all!

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

That just happened to my daughter a couple of weeks ago! She showed her new registration, and it was dismissed, she didn't have to pay anything. I think she went in before her court date and talked to the DA, so she didn't even have to show up on the court date.

Her problem was, she couldn't get it inspected because she had a service engine light on that they couldn't fix. There seems to be a process where you show you spent at least $200 on it and couldn't get it fixed, and they waive the inspection. I really haven't kept up with the legal ins & outs since I'm not working, but that seems to be the way it went.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:allears:That's interesting. One of ours is out of inspection for 6 months because we know it won't pass because the stupid light is on. Last quote we got to fix the check engine light being on was about $500. 2 different mechanics, varying opinions on what it is, the car runs just fine, cranks on the first try when DH starts it to keep it running in the meantime. Since it won't pass, I can't get tags for it. Been too much else going on to spend the $ on it (it's our 3rd car) Thinking of selling it as it sits. :?

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I,too, have been plagued by the mysterious Check Engine light before. Mine wasn't that expensive to fix, but that's one of the great things <sarcasm> about OBD II. My dad had considered selling his 95 truck and I told him he should keep it and just maintain it (parents have got a primary vehicle anyway). Its a basic six cylinder/automatic with no power options with roll up windows, no power locks, manual adjust side mirrors, manual adjust seats, etc. A vehicle like that with the OBD I system means less headache, especially for a secondary vehicle.

5. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I've had this happen more than once and I just show where I got it inspected and they let me go. Yes, I'm a repeat offender :banghead:

6. Vitameatavegemin

Vitameatavegemin Well-Known Member

...sounds like what we need to do is figure out how to disable the 'check engine' light....

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

VG,

Yep, they will drop the $130.00 court costs if you go to the DA's office. Make sure you have that $25.00 registration and the inspection items with you when you go.

They will also work on extended the court date if you cannot make it to the one on the ticket.

Sherry

8. Sherry A.

We've had that same problem with the check engine light. The place over near the skating rink will absolutely be able to fix most items cheaply and get it done right and on time. We love them.

Sherry

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

my husband just got ticketed for this, he went to court, showed the DA before court it had been taken care of, that was it. no fine, no court cost, just his time.

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

<<< check engine light has been on for 5 years or more. :lol:

It's a bank one converter which has been quoted OVER $1500 to fix. :?

Inspection AND tags are up to date :hurray:

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

OK, who does your inspection???? PM me please!! LOL

12. VolleyGrl

Do you have to make an appointment to go to the DA's office or just talk to them on the court date?

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

they'll be there when you get there, on your court date. and ask a general question to the crowd...."does anyone want to talk to the DA" then he'll excuse you. it'll cost you your time.

14. VolleyGrl

Thank you so much!

15. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

It appears there are two different ways to get a waiver: (1) the necessary parts are not available, or (2) the owner purchases the parts and makes the recommended repairs, and the vehicle still fails. My DD's problem was the second, they tried several different repairs and the light would not go out.
    Check out the DMV site for a list of criteria: http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/denialPenalties.html

16. Sherry A.

Call the DA's office prior to your court date, you can get the ticket extended and when you get everything done call the DA's office again to see if you can get the ticket taken care of and dismissed before court by doing it in the DA's office. Hate going to court. The person you see when you get off the elevator will handle it all lock and stock and barrel, at the DA's office.

Kell likes to go to court to see her relatives.....:mrgreen::jester::mrgreen: Just kidding.

Sherry

17. VolleyGrl

Thank you everyone! :cheers:

18. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

check engine light
    been told by several mechanics its more than likely an oxygen sensor
    we've had the problem for a good while on one of ours as had many of friends with their cars, as well as family members. Seems that the majority have been told the same thing, oxygen sensor. We've noticed that if we don't keep the gas cap on very tight that's when the little devil rears its head, eventually we'll get around to changing it, along with all the other crap that needs fixing around the house, yard etc.

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That is the aggravating thing, that has been replaced. Once when the engine was replaced and then again last year. I don't know what the deal is, just tired of dealing with that car. We don't "need" it, so as soon as we can free up some time, it's probably going bye bye. Sad thing is, it's a handy vehicle, nearly as roomy as our minivan but gets much better gas mileage. Which is why we chose to replace the engine when it blew. It only has about 50,000 on the motor. :banghead:

20. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I feel your pain. If I'm remembering correctly, there's more than one sensor on ours, maybe, not too sure. Either way, its just a pain with a car having so many miles on it sometimes. But we'll keep on chugging down the road because otherwise its a great car and our oldest out of four, paid for and the light stays off for the most part, at least when we get it inspected. When you look at the low maintenance per year we have on it, for the amount of use we get out of it, its a keeper. Beats a new car payment. But there are times you just :banghead: