Grocery store recommendations - esp ground beef

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MizSeeker, Jul 16, 2010.

1. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

OK - We moved here in February and I will admit I am a Harris Teeter fan. I know their store brands and like the sales/coupons and do not think they are more expensive than FL or Lowes. But I also like to buy their inhouse premium ground beef - not anything they bring in from outside - what they make up from the trimmings that week.

SO - anyway - it is not always convenient to run to FV to HT and I would like to see what people prefer around 40/42. Especially where to find good quality fresh ground beef. Our FL and some stores near us before were not so great - tell me which stores are your favorite and why please!

thank you!

Martha

2. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

The ONLY place I like the ground beef is DR Wells on Cleveland Rd.

3. MizSeeker

I've seen that listed but I am clueless - can someone fill me in on what and where that is?

thank you!

Martha

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

It's on Cleveland Road beside the Fire Dept.

5. cece

cece Well-Known Member

DR Wells does have really good meat.

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Has the meat quality remained the same at DR Wells since the store was sold?

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Not sure I go to Lowes Foods, DR Wells is a little high IMO.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I haven't found the quality lacking at all. I still buy my ribeye steaks, ny strip steaks there and whatever else they might happen to have that looks good. I think the OP would be very happy with their ground beef, even if the prices are a few cents higher than FL or Kroger, its probably not much different than Lowes or HT's prices.

9. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

It's a small market at the gas station at the corner of Matthews and Cleveland Road. Next to the fire station and across from the GCAA and the Johnston Community College.

10. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I like the ground beef as well as the ground pork at Lowes food,got a pork loin roast from there last week and it was really fatty on the inside,not good :x
    Once again made the mistake of buying peaches from there as well,no good either,all were mealy :ack:
    Went to the Clayton Market today and bought some peaches there,they taste fantastic!! Should have done that in the first place,I know...

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

You need to try the sausage from the Clayton Farmers Market, it is so good! The tent that had the homemade salsa sign also sells their own sausage. He and a friend of his raise the pigs and contract with a local meat processor who will their recipe to make the sausage and package it. They sell a mild and a hot recipe. I buy the mild and it has a little bite to it. I cut it out of the casing and fried it up last week and cooked it with the Dirty Rice... OMG was it good, no leftovers! It would be great in a Jambalya or Chicken Bog recipe too! I also bought some fresh eggs and am thinking about making eggs & sausage with cheese and salsa in a tortilla! Oooh....yummy yummy yummy!

He says he has scheduled to be out there atleast every other week, but depending on what he has on hand, sometimes it might be a few weeks in a row. So if you go and don't see him, try again the next weekend.

I bought peaches today too from Smiths Nursery, they are wonderful!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  12. MizSeeker

Good info! thank you!

My timing was off yesterday and I missed getting to the Clayton farmer's market before the storms hit. I LOVE the vendors there - have bought good produce, plants, baked goods and eggs and sausage. Unfortunately - I only bought a little bit of sausage and really really want more. Very lean and good taste!

So - check out DR Wells - and Lowes foods has a vote on certain items. is that the one in Clayton or down 42 toward 50?

Feedback on Foodlion or WalMart anyone?

THANK YOU!

Martha

13. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm always wary of buying ground beef from the chain grocers. I'd rather buy local. Clayton Food Town or Edward's IGA are examples. Of course, we don't eat a lot of ground beef.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

The only meat I will buy from Walmart are the products they bring in from other companies (like...Smithfields pork tenderloins or slabs of ribs, Perdue or Sanderford for Chicken). I just think there is something wrong with adding the preservatives they do to "fresh" meat to make it last in the frig for weeks. I don't care what they do to it, or how it has tested ok, there is something wrong to me with buying ground beef that can sit in your frig for weeks and still be so pink and ok to cook. Maybe its just me.....

15. smallone

smallone Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with Clayton- except on how to get to Walmart and Venero's Pizza- can you tell me where the Clayton Farmers Mkt is?

thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  16. AnnetteL

:iagree:I remember some stew beef that I had gotten from there a while ago,it was covered in some kind of strange film :ack:very disgusting.
    I envy my sister in Germany where every town has it's own butcher shop,when you buy ground meat it's not been previously ground but is ground right in front of you,or if you want a specific cut of meat you tell them and they cut it,trim it etc. exactly the way you want it. Even the grocery stores come with custom butcher shops.
    A few years ago several Walmart stores were opened in Germany but they didn't last.

17. AnnetteL

It's right on Main Street across from Carolina Paper Co.by the traffic light,you'd take a left (where the Walgreen's is) when coming from Walmart on 70,then take a right on Main St. and keep on going until you see it ;) on the right.

http://www.clayton-farmers-market.org/market/Home.html

18. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I haven't been very happy with the meats in the area. So after much trial and error, this is what we usually do:

Ground meat, pork loin, ribs, pork chops - BJ's
    Boneless chicken and pork chops - Lowes
    Steaks - Either order from Omaha or do without. Used to do DR Wells, but I don't think they are as good with whoever they are using now.

19. trident2

trident2 Well-Known Member

Hi folks, 1st post.

We buy our meats from The Meat House in Cary. They have the best meats in NC IMO. For us its worth the drive once a week!