Hot Dogs,Wieners,Frankfurters,etc.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jul 19, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Which ones do you like?
    At one time Walmart used to carry so called New York Style Wieners but that didn't last,then Lowes food had something similar by Johnsonville, Harris Teeter had ones by Dietz&Watson but when we stopped by their Holy Springs location I couldn't find them anymore either. Lowes foods has the Boars Head brand but to me they have a strange after taste.
    I happen to like the natural casing ones,the kind that makes the cracking sound when you bite into them ;)

2. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

OMG, I haven't had natural casing franks in years! We used to buy them in a butcher shop, all linked together. Good eats.

3. AnnetteL

Yes,that's the ones that I like as well,is there any place around here that carries them?

4. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

We import ours from Syracuse, NY-- Hofmanns. BJ's used to carry a natural casing type in their deli case, not sure the brand(not Hofmann's).

5. AnnetteL

I just checked them out online,they've got quite the variety! Which ones do you get ;)
    I still wish I could get some a little closer to home to avoid the shipping costs.

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I also love the natural casing. My FAVORITE: McKenzie or Jordan hot dogs. If I could find them around here that would be money! My fam is from VT (although I was born here) and everytime someone goes back to visit, that's what they bring me! Love 'em! :drool:

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Have you tried calling Whole Foods, Fresh Market or Trader Joes? I bet at least one of them has a natural casing hotdog.

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

9. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Sometimes I go for the southern-style, pink, Jesse Jones hotdogs and then I'll have a taste for a hardy,beef frank hotdog. Kinda funny this topic came up because I was just considering a hotdog for lunch and backed out. I just bought a pack of Hebrew Nationals this weekend --never tried them before --and wanted to see if I'd like them. I've got a cholesterol check in a few days so I'm trying to watch it some so that my numbers aren't elevated.

10. CraigSPL

This thread drove me to go get Jones' for lunch. 2 red hot dogs with ketchup, chili, and onions, order of fries, and a large sweet tea.

11. AnnetteL

Glad to have helped! ;)

12. AnnetteL

will need to...thanks!

13. AnnetteL

Thanks! Will have to give them a try!

14. AnnetteL

I just checked their website,they do look good! Which LF has them?
    Thanks!

That recipe does sound good also,although being from Krautcountry myself I'd substitute wine for the pickle juice.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  15. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

We get the snappys and regular franks. Snappys are also called coneys or white hots. When I say import I mean we bring them home when we visit or ask other people to bring them back.

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

This is "wife" LOL..... it wasn't Lowes Foods, it was BJ's, and I am on my way to PetSmart right now, and going to BJ's while I'm over there and going to see what ones it is they carry. It is a 2lb box i believe.

bbiab!

:jester:

17. CraigSPL

LF......BJ's.....they are all the same...:jester:

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

sucha man:p

19. AnnetteL

What a bummer,I was so hoping it was LF,I don't think I will get a BJ"s membership just to buy some wieners ;)

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Why not?? I did just to get some meat for philly cheese steaks I couldn't get at Sams!!! LOL

I have been using it since for things they both carry and not having to drag all the way down to Raleigh.