Need windshield resealed- anyone looking to make a few $$ on the side?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rigmaster, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I've got a car that needs to have the windshield resealed. It should be a pretty straight-forward job- the windshield is bonded in with urethane or whatever sealant they use to install them with originally, but it's coming loose.

It's loose at both the top corners, and feels like it would just push out if pushed on a bit more. In my UNprofessional opinion, it just needs to be pulled out, old sealant scraped/cut off, then a new bead of sealant and stick the windshield back in place.

I called a couple of glass shops for quotes, and they are anywhere from $100-135- with most of them saying the windshield would probably get broken, in which case a new one is ~$300-350 installed. I think $50-60 is fair if someone is willing to do this as a side job.

I'll pay cash and I'll help (if wanted, or stay out of the way if no help is needed) someone who knows what they're doing if they can do this. All you need to supply is maybe 30 minutes of your time, your expertise and the proper sealant (or tell me where to buy it and I'll buy it). I'd like to do it this coming weekend, I live about 2 miles north of West Johnston HS.

So, anyone willing and able to help? :)

Thx, Rig.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

4042 member "aglassnut" deals/dealt in windshield repairs/replacements. I have no doubt he could help you and shoot straight with you. However, he never posts on here anymore. Anybody know what happened to him?

3. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought I might PM or email him, but he's got both of those functions disabled.

If anyone has his contact info, I'd appreciate if you'd forward it to me, or just ask him to PM or email me if he can help.

Thx.

4. whats4dessert

whats4dessert Member

I had this problem on my Expedition apparently not an uncommon problem, anyway I called Sharky's Auto Glass after Safelite just kept saying it was my sunroof. The glass did break when he cut away the old Urethane in several places and he wasn't rough with the glass to cause it. Anyway charged me less than $200 for a new windshield and did an awesome job. I highly recommend :cool: You can find Urethane at O'Reillys if you want to try yourself.

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Registers Auto Glass - Bill is the owner
    Tell him Mike's (with chip n crack windshield) friend Sandy sent you.

http://www.registersautoglass.com/page7.php

Not sure about his prices. I've never needed to use him, but have met him several times socially.
    Good Luck!