Sandwiches.......in a can

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Jul 22, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

DS1 says he'd eat the BBQ. :ack:

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

As I recall, MREs were two lies for the price of one: never a meal, never ready to eat. Also called "Meals Refused by Everyone" and a host of others.
    Of course, I had the first iterations of them, following my beloved B-3 unit of C-rations: Ham & Eggs, Beans and baby cranks, Beef with Shrapnel...

Yet, if you're hungry enough..you'll eat.

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Interesting for sure! :lol:

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:ack: DH of course had some when he was active duty and we ordered some for disaster prep, but I've never actually eaten one.

6. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I ate a couple of varieties about 20-25 years ago. I hope they've gotten better. :ack:

That being said, if you're hungry enough.....

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

While I haven't had an MRE since 1993 the ones I did have while in the field weren't too bad, and based on the menus they have now they are probably pretty tasty.

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-menus.html

A menu list by year.

8. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Dang. They did not go back to 1958. Pretty bad back then.

9. Casceysmom

Casceysmom Guest

I was just reading about these this morning. Surprised it took them so long.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Laughed when I read this, gcoats. Daddy said he'd rather eat the plants and bugs he did. He said those were a delicacy compared to the MREs back then and into the early 1970s.

Sandwiches in a can....I'd rather eat beanie weenies. I took cans of beanie weenies and other items with me to Russia/Ukraine. After eating so many potatoes I pulled a can out and they were wonderful. Glad they make those pull tops in today's world.

Sherry