Donate

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grammie, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Does anyone know who I call to donate furniture for the veterns? I know they come and pick it up, but can't remember the name let alone the number. Thx in advance

2. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Call the number is bold below and ask them. What a wonderful thing you want to do. Please let us know what they tell you so that we can follow in your footsteps.

Sherry

http://www.doa.state.nc.us/vets/contactus.htm

Contact Us

Main Office:
    Mailing Address North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs
    1315 Mail Service Center
    Raleigh, NC 27699-1315
    Physical Address 325 N. Salisbury Street
    Raleigh, NC 27601
    Telephone Number (919) 733-3851
    Fax Number (919) 733-2834
    General E-mail Inquiries ncdva.aso@ncmail.net

4. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

Disabled American Veterans Thrift Store
    2418 Crabtree Boulevard
    Raleigh, NC 27604
    (919)833-7939
    Resale Shops

Try this place

5. Sherry A.

You're awesome.

Sherry

6. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Legit veterans in this area are out of business as are the crooked vets

We asked local donors to get furniture to With Love from Jesus, Chapanoke Dr., Raleigh, for the past 7 years and they have provided it free to people in need for those 7 years. The organization has a good reputation. I was in their building today and it is still there, regardless of rumors. I think they control 45,000 sq. ft. and that is 9 times bigger than Basic Needs! Check them out.

I followed the news over the past 20 years. If I got this correct, the large thrift run by the legitimate veteran's organization sat on the corner by Moore Square and closed before the Children's Museum was built. I think it was moved to Crabtree for a short while, before finally closing.

Triangle press challenged the tax status of the other veteran's thrift shops, including the telphone solicitors with pickups operating from Tryon Road, Crabtree in the large shopping center, and the one in Durham, by trying to follow any of the money to the veterans. They credited about 2% going to the organization in return for use of the name and 98% into the pockets of the management. One manager recently told me that it wasn't even 2%.

There are a lot of pseudo thrifts and charities still operating in the area today. I was able to spend time in the Office of Administrative Hearings with the regional director of Goodwill learning about a couple of them. A major multi-state scam has a local headquarters in a small residence in a subdivision in Garner. Then, there is a Wake County business person restarting the routes run by the pseudo Vet charities and running her profit making business while pretending it is a non-profit. And the stories go on. The bottom line is that North Carolina Charity Solicitations does not have the staff to go after the crooks.

7. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Of the DAV doens't work out, then do try withlovefromjesus.org. They will come and pick it up but ask that you pay I think $20 for the gas/truck use. As Ron stated, they give all their sutff away.

8. Sherry A.

Heck, don't forget about the organization that Kent talks about all the time. COTW, I think, Church of the Woods. It's for the homeless so they could use some of the items, I think. Do a search on here and Kent has the contact for Alice who works with the local homeless folks. Bet they could use some of the items desperately.

Sherry

9. WillSpanker

WillSpanker Well-Known Member

There you go, we have a winner

10. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Contact info:
    churchinthewoods@earthlink.net
    alicemcgeeids@gmail.com

I left some jackets and tarps on Alice's front porch last fall. You might want to contact her and find out what they need.