Who wants a good used bookstore in the area?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by roygolf, Jul 27, 2010.

1. roygolf

roygolf Well-Known Member

I am giving serious consideration to opening a used bookstore in the 40/42 area. New independent bookstores have a tough time against the big box retailers such as Barnes & Noble, Borders and Books-a-Million. However, a well run used bookstore can be a fun place to visit. A great childrens section with weekly storytimes and a selection of used homeschool books along with current fiction and non-fiction and some older hard to find items. Would this be something this area would/could support? Please comment with what you would like to see stock wise and event wise at a used bookstore in the 40/42 area.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You do know there is already one in Clayton, right? Pauper's in the Lowe's Shopping Center. I wear them out, so I would patronize both, but since it is so close, not sure if that would work out for you or not. I like current fiction, mysteries, etc. Don't like the romance crap, but apparently there is a large market for that.

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I'd go!
    Don't like the 'romance crap' either ;) but do like historical fiction a lot!

4. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

I would like another used bookstore in addition to the current one in Clayton. I have brought books there a couple of times and really felt like I didn't get what they were worth but I can't be sure because I don't have a frame of reference to compare. These were good quality hard cover books that only my husband and I had read. They were popular titles that included the entire Twilight series and some Patterson and Baldacci, things along those lines. I would patronize another reseller without a doubt.

5. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I'm sure my wife would be there every day if she could....heck with the amount of books she owns, she could open her own store!
    Maybe I can convince her to sell you some! LOL

6. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

I would patronize a used book store!!! Love me some books!

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My better half took a pickup load over, literally, got $12.00 for them.

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting,saves me from taking my load over there...

9. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

Wow, that must be their stock offer because that's exactly what the guy offered me. $12 whole dollars. I won't go back again.

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

You guys made out like bandits! I got $8 for mine!

11. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to establish a book sharing website rather than have a used book store.

12. nsanemom22

13. nsanemom22

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i would definitely go and maybe they would do like the one in VA used to do, instead of paying for your own used books, you were issued a credit to use toward anything in the store, which i loved. Please don't fill it with the romance novels and stuff, i love me some Stephen King and anything else that makes ya think and learn.

15. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

16. Casceysmom

Casceysmom Guest

I went to the one in Clayton one time! That`s all it took. I found I could of got the same books on Amaxon cheaper, even with shipping! PLEASE do open one and I will bring mine there too.

17. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

OK, who wants free books to read and to get paid $4-$6 per book?

I love this thread. We've been watching TurboTax Deduction guidelines and noting that a decent copy of a paperback or hardcover can get you $4-$6 on the charity deduction line of your tax return, when you just drop the books at the Cleveland Library. Then you can turn around and bring in the entire community to read the books for free-well, that's how a community library works, assuming the rent is paid. Library hours and location are at: http://4042needs.org/library/

Must be why smart people donated 100,000 books and movies in the last two years.

And if you are looking for a book with a three word title that 200 or more people are waiting in line for up in Wake and Edward McKay and other book sellers didn't have in stock lately, shucks we're waiting for a patron who called to pick a new hard cover copy up now and there is no one waiting after her at the Cleveland Library. And before anyone mentions it, we don't buy and stock 70-150 copies of a title. We do stock 7,500 book titles in 56' of bookcases. Need help? Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia [Hardcover] by Elizabeth Gilbert

18. MizSeeker

MizSeeker Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to be able to donate my mother's books. I'll come check you out one day.

Martha

19. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a new book store in the area. I mean really, White Oak doesn't have a Barnes & Noble? I know it's close to Johnston County, but still...they'd sell a lot of coloring books :lol:

You may not get much at Paupers for your used stuff, but I went down there the other night and bought seven books of Shakespearian & Arthur Miller plays and paid $16.00. I like the place.

20. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they haven't put a book store in at White Oak shopping center by Kohls. It would be the perfect place for a Borders or Barnes and Noble. When they were building the theater around the corner there, they said Borders was looking at the area.

I like Pauper's Books too...I think they have fair prices. It's very hard to resell old books for more that .25 to .50 at yard sales. I wouldn't pay more than that myself and don't price them over that when I'm selling them. I'd rather get the 12.00 for a bag of books than have to take them up to Goodwill.