Turning arrows?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Can someone please explain to me why all the turning arrows don’t seem to work around North Carolina? It seems when the light turns green, the turning arrow just starts to flash yellow. I thought at first it was something just around this area, but I was down at the beach this past weekend, and noticed it as well. I find it rather annoying.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

3. crunchymom

crunchymom Well-Known Member

I don't like them either. I can understand if they are taking away the solid green light for safety reasons, but what happened to protected left hand turns? Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't there use to be one there at the intersection near the McDonalds & Food Lion? It seems like an absense of those would build up a lot of traffic.

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

The protected left hand turns are still there. The flashing yellow lights (proceed with caution) are flashing when you otherwise would see a red light. This allows left hand turns (with caution) when no traffic is coming when before there would have been a red light. Contrary to backing traffic up, it allows for a better flow and prevents back-up in left turn lanes.

5. dangerboy

I hope this isnt causing you to lose sleep as I see you posted this at 336 am!
    It will be OK:jester: get some sleep.

DB's wife

6. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

The one near McDonalds and Food Lion has always been a PITA. It's next to impossible to turn left into Glen Rd at that light. I would think since they widened the exit ramp from 40, they could let more than 1 car every 15 minutes turn left at that light, but it doesn't look like they're going to change it.

7. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Yes this has me very worried, to the point I cannot sleep. :) Or maybe it the fact we have a baby arriving in less than 2 months, just sold our house, and on a mad hunt for a new one, and need to be out of our current home in 3 weeks, that might be why I cannot sleep....:lol:

8. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Is that one in the City Limits of Clayton?

Sherry

9. dangerboy

No I dont think any of that stuff is keeping you up. Its the turn arrows. Im sure of it.:lol:

DB's wife

10. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

No, it's at 40/42. They have the world's longest red light, going from ODS toward Clayton, because they need to keep traffic moving off I-40. The ramp isn't long enough, and traffic backs up onto the highway during rush hour as it is. So there is a left turn arrow that literally only lets one car through per light cycle. When I lived out that way, I always turned into the Food Lion plaza at Technology Dr (by DQ). Coming from Cleveland Rd, it's best to turn on Commerce Dr (behind CVS) and go straight across 42 onto Glen Rd.

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree: plus there's hardly a time when traffic isn't coming off of 40, cause people turn right on red too, adding to the traffic!