Immigration reform

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8054182/

Arizona's version of immigration reform went into limited effect today...evaluate and discuss?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. Good for them. Hopefully it will take effect nationwide since the federal government refuses to do its job.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

hugh, sherry, kds, etc....seriously now. is there ANY method of identifying illegals that you would support. you don't want "ask if stopped", right? is there something that would work for you? or is it just that you don't care that illegals are here or think they should be amnestied? i guess if it's the latter, we won't be finding any common ground on this one, because i think it's a problem. and i don't think amnesty will work. reagan's didn't. omg i just said reagan did something that didn't work. what the

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yes, the one that usually stops me entering other countries, stop them at the border and ask them for their papers.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

That they work hard and continue to make the United States of America one of the finest places in the world to live.

7. Gomer Pyle

I just don't think we can have an open border, especially not in the world as it currently is.

I also don't like the idea of people -EVERYONE, because that's the only way it could work- being required to carry a Federal Identity Card, but on those occasions when we must interact with the government (law enforcement, employment, social benefits) I don't think it's unreasonable for the government as our representative to require positive identification.

Further, as has been said many times, I don't think the problem is on the supply side of the illegal immigration problem: we have to address the demand that brings them her in the first place.

We should be strictly enforcing the existing laws and procecuting those who hire illegal aliens. If it's a corporation, the corporate officers should be held personally accountable.

I'm not intimately familiar with AZ's law, but it doesn't appear that they are holding the employers accountable. Granted, many of these people are moving through AZ to other states, but isn't 'regulating interstate commerce' one of the primary functions of the federal goverment?

8. Gomer Pyle

IMO, the overarching principle of immigration for the last 100-plus years is that the potential immigrant must bring something to the table -after all, aren't there are limits to how many tired, huddled masses a nation can absorb?

The only thing most Mexican/ south American/ Caribbean etc. immigrants can bring is strong backs, and that ain't enough to get past ICE- the door is closed, at least the legal one.

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, I'm just sayin' that the legal avenues that were available to european immigrants in the last century aren't available to most of those on our southern border.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I would love it if they could become citizens.

10. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I'll start with what I don't support. I don't think the police should be able to stop people and ask for their papers because of how they look or what they are wearing. I do think when drivers get stopped for traffic violations, if they don't have a valid driver's license that gives the police reason to check into their status. Illegals who are convicted of drunk driving and some other serious misdemeanors, as well as any felony, should be turned over to ICE.

I would like to see all employers check the immigration status of every new hire. I would include independent contractors in that. Whenever a person is hired, either as a W-2 employee or as a 1099 contractor, that person is required to provide a valid Social Security number so their earnings can be properly reported to the IRS. There is a system in place that employers can use to check the SS# that is given, to make sure it is a valid number and it matches the name of the employee. If all employers would routinely use that system, it would cut down immensely on the "bait" that brings them here - the jobs.

I believe there are more border patrol agents now than ever before. I think the number of illegal immigrants in the country has actually declined during this recession, just because the jobs are harder to find. That's a trend I hope will continue, because I would like to see the jobs that are available go to citizens and legal residents.

We might want to consider some kind of guest worker program, so that, for example, if farmers are not able to get enough help they could legally hire immigrants who could come in on temporary work visas, and go back to their country of origin when the work is done. I know it's possible for people to come in with work visas, but I'm suggesting that system be adapted to fit more situations. And of course there should be a way to police it, to make sure they do go home after. I have heard that a substantial percentage of illegals came to the country legally and overstayed their visas.

11. KDsGrandma

To become a citizen, you have to be here legally in the first place.

12. KDsGrandma

I was just answering your question. The short answer is No. They can't just apply and become citizens. They would first have to go back to their country of origin and get on the list. Then they would have to go through the process, and I don't believe just anybody is given permission to come here permanently, I think that's what Gomer was talking about.

13. KDsGrandma

I agree. And as much as you may think I never agreed with Bush on anything, I did agree with him at the time.

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I think KDs addressed this very well in the Thread and I agree on "Guest Work Visas" too.

I will never support anything that allows someone to ask another person to show their papers for being in the U.S. based on profiling. I don't want this to be a Nazi country nor do I want us to do to others what we did to the Japanese at one time in our country.

What are your suggestions and ideas? It seems to me that Hugh, KDs, me and others get asked for solutions often but I don't see them coming from other citizens who may think differently politically.

My daughter was adopted by me from the Ukraine, I then had to get two Visas to get her into the United States, she had to be Naturalized and then I signed that I wanted her to have dual citizenship. The process was long and very hard. The lines at those offices are horrible and so are the offices. They are treated differently but she was not because I am a U.S. citizen.

Applying for colleges and scholarships has been no cup of tea. People don't understand the laws, including my Congressman's office, on this subject.

I can only imagine what people go through who have not studied this subject in great detail. Had I not done that my daughter would not be applying for scholarships like she is. She would not be going to a university with a full scholarship nor would she have the letters of recommendation from officials because people really do not understand our laws fully.

Papers....papers.....NO! It is the school and the employer's responsibility to check her social security number to make sure she is legal, not my or her neighbor calling the police. And I sure don't think she should have to carry papers with her the rest of her life.

We have many individual stories that must be taken into consideration and my daughter's is just one of many.

Sherry

15. dangerboy

I think illegal immigrant or alien says it all. They got here ILLEGALLY.
    They are law breakers. There are reasons we want people to follow the proper channels to come to this country. I shouldnt have to state any of them because the reasons are so obvious but the big two are for public safety and for these people to not tax or over tax our system. Look at our schools and hospitals. They pay no taxes so American citizens and legal residents have to figure out a way to educate them and pay their medical bills.

This to some might not sound politically correct but its a fact that the majority of illegals are from Mexico. This topic would not even be an issue if the majority of illegals in AZ were from some other country. Would we be marching in the streets to support the rights of illegals from Middle Eastern countries?
    I think not.

DB's wife

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  16. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Sorry Mrs. DB.....I'd still be marching no matter what area they were from or are from.

Sherry

17. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Mr. and Mrs. DB are spot on with this one.

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree: And for years here on 4042 have stated this position and my support of Bush on this.

19. dangerboy

a white guy with green hair wearing pink shorts and a blue hoodie just robbed a bank. you're in southbeach, and you're a cop, and you get this description, and you look up and see three guys walking down the beach a block from the bank that match it. you also see 9000 other people who don't. do you ask all 9003 for id? do you ask the 3 that match the description? the fact is that all 3 can't be guilty, but 1 surely is. is that profiling in your opinion, or smart police work? does that produce grounds for the 2 who were not guilty to sue the police department and claim a violation of their civil rights?

i like AZ's way of thinking. it's like asking for a driver's license. what's the big deal? i'm willing to concede a few seconds to show it in order to maintain public safety. it's not a slippery slope. i was asking "since you don't agree with the solution offered by Arizona, what sort of solution would you agree to, if any?"

20. Gomer Pyle

They can apply, but it's essentially futile.

The first step toward legal immigration is to apply for an entry visa for work, vacation or study but it is very specific as to what you intend to do and how long you intend to do it: you have to have a job (and sponsor) lined up or be accepted etc.

Beyond that, you have to apply for registered alien status which is an open-ended transitional status while you jump through the hoops to gain citizenship. After a certain period of time has elapsed you can apply for citizenship and take the test.

Most of the people that come here illegally wouldn't qualify for a visa.

Further, even if they were granted a visa immigration is regulated by quota so the applicant would need to wait for their number to come up before they could apply for resident alien status.

Needless to say, the quota for minimally educated laborers is pretty small.