Real Estate Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by wolfcub, Jul 30, 2010.

1. wolfcub

wolfcub Well-Known Member

I live in a subdivision in Wake County and I am curious if any real estate agents on here can advise what impact it would have on resale value of a home if someone's neighbor put an above ground pool in thier backyard?

I cannot imagine having a pool that can be seen is a selling point? I need some feedback as I have a neighbor who is trying to get covenants that prohibit this changed to allow it and I am the direct next door neighbor and do not think this will help my resale value.

Thanks

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Send MamaApe a pm. She can help u

3. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Glad you are not my neighbor. If i didnt have a pool like that, i think i would build one just to set you off just a tad more.

Maybe leave my garage door open during the day too.

Change my own car's oil in my own yard, maybe leave the car up on blocks for a few hours while i was doing it.

Might even walk around in my house stark nekkid...with the shades up!

4. wolfcub

Thanks DMJmom. As for the rest, not everyone wants tp live in neighborhoods with double wides, pool and lawn furniture on it, sorry!!

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

With some covenants, I have been told it takes 60% of the neighborhood to vote in favor of a change for it to happen. One person cannot do it alone. See what your neighbors think before worrying too much about it. It may not be an issue if most of the neighborhood wants to stick to what is in place. I would be more concerned with having standards regarding the upkeep of the pool rather than allowing the pool itself. I have seen some beautifully done above ground pools and some not so much.

6. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

Although I am a great believer in "Live and Let Live", I bought my house in a subdivision, expressly because of the covenants and restrictions. A home is a major investment and I would not like to see a loss in value because someone doesn't agree with the rules.
    About a month ago, a neighbor (two doors away) took in a boarder which is strictly against the 'rules'. I figured that with the economy, the homeowner was just trying to make ends meet and looked the other way.
    I was a little perturbed when this boarder wound up his Harley trying to impress my 3 teenage daughters.
    To make a long story short, the boarder is the fire cadet arrested last week for rape and kidnapping.
    Still think I should mind my own business?
    BTW, any land available down there around you? I am looking for a location to build a halfway house for recovering meth addicts, lepers, recent parolees and terminal AIDS patients.

7. old school

old school Well-Known Member

gotta build a new place for those daughters ?

8. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

You wouldn't like it here. I have a pool.[/QUOTE]

I would take up your pi$$ing contest but I don't have time. I am cleaning my pool.

9. Smudger

Smudger Well-Known Member

Check out the sex offender database and do pay attention to the "rules". You may not need to worry about the land down there....after all.

10. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

If you don't like it put up a privacy fence with some tall bushes in front of it to block the view... Landscape for Privacy!!! CARY is quite nice maybe you can move there......

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

:popcorn:

12. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

if you got such a problem with the neighbors, just buy their place and do it your way.

13. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Sorry to interupt the drama to respond to the actual question:

Your covenants can tell you what percentage of homeowners must agree to a covenant change. Typically it's 2/3 of homeowners and you have to hire a lawyer to draft the addendum, which is usually around $500-600 per change and will be paid out of the HOA fund.

Our HOA has the rule against the above ground pools. There has been a lot of talk about chaning the rule and most of the research that I have done indicates that there is no evidence that above ground pools do anything to restrict the resale value of the home or the neighbor's homes. In fact, an above ground pool is often better for the owner's value because they are non-permanent structures. Whereas an inground pool appeals to a smaller portion of the market. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Just like anything else, if the homeowner does not maintain the pool it can become an eyesore.

I would just tell your neighbor to put up a privacy fence and then everyone can look the other way. If you can't see it, it absolutely can't retract from your home value. And anything on the other side of a privacy fence, IMO, is no one's business, including the HOA.

14. redtangsoo

redtangsoo Well-Known Member

Tall hedges make good neihbors:jester:

15. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

"good fences make good neighbors"

16. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Jesus commanded us to love thy neighbor as thyself as the second greatest commandment. Life is about more than resale value, especially in situation where you have: 1. no intention of selling presently; 2. the market is crappy right now; and 3. the likelihood of an above ground pool making hardly any difference. Why live in a neighborhood where you don't like your neighbors? The relationship value is worth more.

17. wolfcub

First to address coventants..yes they are prohbiting it right now but there is a good possibility it may be changed.

Next to all the drama seekers. As I indicated not everyone wants to live in a neighborhood that allows anything and everything. if you do then great have at your double wides and pink flamingos in the front yard. Some choose to live in neighborhoods with convenats and that is okay as well so the flaming you are providing for amusement to show your ignorance is appreciated.

For those suggesting I move or build a fence. Exactly why is it fair to me to have to spend my money to hide the eyesore when I bought in an area that prohibited it in the first place as others have. The requirements for keeping it provate should be on the one constructing it not the others being adversely affected by it.

18. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Absolutely, the person putting up the illegal pool should be the one to put up a fence and hedge out of respect and safety for the neighbors and the convenants and restrictions. I keep mum on alot of things also, but this is just a lack of respect for anyone but themselves.

19. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with Robbie! Once covenants are made they should not be changed and should be enforced!! If not THE PERSON PUTTING IN THE POOL SHOULD BEAR THE EXPENSE OF THE FENCE!!

20. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I had to go back and re-read the original post. I didn't understand that the guy putting in the pool was in violation of covenants that he had agreed to.

In this case, Wolfcub is dead to rights: if the pool dude doesn't like the covenants he agreed to, then he needs to take it to the HOA and try to get it changed. You can't arbitrarily break contacts you decide you don't agree with.

BTW, I have an above ground pool and a horse in my backyard; my neighbor has a motocross track and the guy up the street sights in his rifle in his yard. We have covenants (..sort of) but no HOA so we rely on personal responsibilty and mutual respect to make it work. If that sounds like a redneck's dream, I'm OK with that!

Peace!