Real Estate Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by wolfcub, Jul 30, 2010.

1. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

You sound like my neighbor except our neighbor doesn't have his horse anymore.

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I really think that is what being a good neighbor boils down to. Mutual respect. Of course, that's one of the basic necessities of any good relationship.

3. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Well-Known Member

Wolfcub, as a real estate appraiser I can tell you that a neighbor's above-ground pool has NO effect on the value of your home. It only comes into play with what is called 'curb appeal' and most people wouldn't even notice.

4. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Well still, out of the safety and respect of neighbors, I would put up a 6 ft. fence. You would not want to come home one day and see someone had drown in your pool, something that could be prevented. I have a pool and you would not know it unless I told you.

5. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

If the home is in Johnston county I do believe a fence is required. So the person with the pool expense also has to bear the expense of a fence. I'm sure their insurance company would also like to know about the pool. Check with the planning and zoning office.

6. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Fences are not required for above ground pools in Johnston County. Only in ground.

Reason being, as i was told, that as in ground, a person could accidently fall in while walking around in the yard, or you know, breaking into the house at night when its dark and they cant see the pool...that sort of thing.

An above ground, you cant fall in. You have to make a conscience effort to climb up the decking, ladder, whatnot, and then get in. Since you can "just fall in", the county does not require a fence for above ground pools.

7. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

The funny thing is as dumb as that sounds it is probably dead on.

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

9. DogsRule

DogsRule Member

First:
    There is no fence rule for above ground that I can find.
    Second:
    Dude knew the covenants when he moved in. If he didn't like them, he should have moved to JOCO.
    Third:
    An above ground pool will not affect your home value as long as they take care of it.
    Fourth:
    My GOD people, back off! Covenants are like mini laws. I don't necessarily like all the laws I have to obey either, but I am not going to go join the militia that some members of this forum apparently belong to!

Finally:
    "requirements and regulations for a fence when building or installing a pool in the North Carolina area. I have taken this information from the 2006 North Carolina Residential Code Commentary" (http://raleighfencecontractors.com/poolcode.html)
    I know you think you live in your own state called self righteous, but JOCO is part of North Carolina.

10. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

RUH - ROH !!! :shock:

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

wow....

12. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Drama aside, you have to go to the bottom of the page to see where they quoted "The Code":

Somewhere in there it says the pool itself can be considered a barrier as long as it meets the specifications and has a removable ladder or blah, blah...

I wasn't aware of the requirement, and my pool isn't to code either...I imagine it could be an expensive oversight if I was on the wrong end of a lawsuit (...and don't get any ideas!).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  13. Grinder

However, the "barrier" is very vague. One would assume that for an in-ground pool, that would mean a fence around it and that would suffice as a barrier. For the above ground pool, one could argue that if the owner built a deck around the top of the pool and then installed lattice under the deck to "hide" the pool from view then that deck and lattice could be considered as a "barrier".

I imagine that for an in-ground pool you could build a rock wall to the required height and that would be the barrier so its quite possible, as i read it, that there is no "fence" requirement in this state at all.

Still, back to one of the original questions, no, Johnston County does not have a fence requirement for above ground pools.

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree:

15. Sherry A.

I didn't know you had a pool on your property. Can some of my Liberal friends and I come swim in your "cement pond"? :mrgreen:

Sherry

16. Sherry A.

I hate that you feel that way. Certainly would not think a place such as that would fit in a subdivision because of the amount of land it would need but in the country with some acreage would not bother me as a neighbor.

Have you ever been or lived around a rehab center? How about a shelter for abused adults and children? Most are very well kept and do not have problems, if they are run correctly.

Shame on you for that one statement, which is a very big one in my mind. I was with you for a while, on this Thread, until your judgment of people with AIDS and addicts. Hope nobody in your family or any friends ever need that help.

Sherry

17. DogsRule

DogsRule Member

:iagree:

Think before you speak. Sometimes Karma has a way of biting you in the.....

18. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

The section of the code referenced -at least according to the link- defines a barrier as:

I suspect they specifically chose the word "barrier" instead of "fence'" to include all the methods that could be used to prevent entry to a pool.

So while we don't have a fence requirement at the county level, the state of North Carolina does have a barrier requirement that applies to every outdoor "in-ground, aboveground or on-ground pool, hot tub or spa" in Johnston County.

19. Grinder

So put up some iron stakes around the pool, take a rope and tie it along each stake and make a rope "barrier" out it and call it good. Even better, get some of those movie theater rope off thingamajigabobbies and put those around the pool. I would think that follows the letter of the law. Maybe not the intent, but certainly the letter of. 8)

20. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

SAY WHAT????? THAT"S against the law???? RUH ROH!!!! :shock::shock: