Real Estate Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by wolfcub, Jul 30, 2010.

1. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Sssshhhh, don't tell the women. :jester:

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

MMMMMMMMMMM's the word!!! :twisted:

3. dgsatman

Givin' or receivin'???? :?

4. old school

old school Well-Known Member

Not even close, call ncdoi and ask about appendix G in the nc residential code book, it has been adopted into code and your suggestions do not follow the letter or the intent.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:popcorn:

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/north-carolina

If a man and a woman who aren’t married go to a hotel/motel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married.

It is illegal to have sex in a churchyard.

Oral sex is considered a crime against nature.

A marriage can be declared void if either of the two persons is physically impotent.

Funny stuff, yet it costs us money to print this crap.

Sherry

7. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Appendix G is quite large. Perhaps you can quote the section you are referring to. The only thing i found was...

Urge your communities to incorporate layers of protection around pools and hot tubs. “Having multiple layers of protection is essential to preventing
    swimming pool drowning,” explains Kelly Ransdell, SKNC’s director. “In addition to placing barriers completely around the pool, closely supervising
    young children is crucial. Plus, parents and caregivers should always be prepared in case of emergency,” she added. Following are safety procedures that can help parents and caregivers save lives:

• Always look for missing children in the pool first.
    • No child is drown-proof — never substitute swimming lessons or flotation devices forsupervision.
    • Keep rescue equipment and a phone next to the pool.
    • Learn CPR.
    • Install physical barriers around the pool — fences should be at least four feet high and installed completely around the pool, and gates should be self-closing and self-latching with latches out of reach of children.

Again it says "barrier" though it only lists fences. This is coming from the NC Dept of Insurance, which is not the NC Building Code, nor Johnston County regulations.

8. Sherry A.

I do think if one has close neighbors it is smart to have some kind of fence around a pool, whether in ground or above. Safety first. Not sure how insurance handles these items.......P, you know? Plus just plain old safety is always the best route, in my opinion.

Sherry

9. dgsatman

Okay Dogsrule, This ones for you!!!! :beathorse:

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

it's not just smart, it's the law. protecting neighborhood kids (especially) and others is not the same as the "dumb laws" you posted. not even close.

re: enforcement. fine. don't put up a fence. chances are no one will ever fall into and drown in your pool. just be ready to lose everything you own if it does happen. but hey, life is full of risk, right?

re; insurance. i'm sure your agent would have a coronary if he found out. the insurance company might likely drop you, too, for falsifiying your information or for providing false info. did they ask you if you have a pool when you bought homeowner's? did you lie? forget to mention it on your renewal, since you didn't have the pool when you first bought? all illegal and grounds for the insurance company to cancel you.

look, i don't like covenants and crap, either, but some people do and that's their right. you buy in a covenant neighborhood, you gotta work within them.
    i'm also not stupid enough to open myself up to having my entire life ruined just to show those stuff shirt covenant people (pool) and the stupid state legislature (fence) that they can't control me!!

11. DogsRule

DogsRule Member

:ack:
    Now you have gone and ruined my cow dinner. Not nice!

12. Sherry A.

Yeah, the dumb laws stuff I Posted was just to get a laugh from what a few others had stated. It really did not fit in on this Thread.

Sherry

13. Sherry A.

Makes sense.

Sherry

14. DogsRule

DogsRule Member

You may actually be grandfathered in. Whether or not you are willing to take the risk is the question. We had an above ground pool with no fence growing up, but had to have a raising ladder. That was enough for us.

15. old school

old school Well-Known Member

The NCDOI makes interpretations of and has the final say, on all NC building codes, Johnston County has to follow the same code as every other county in the state. To further clarify, it is the international building code with amendments made by the NC building code council

16. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

That's what we did the first year we had our above ground pool - took the ladder down when not in use. The next year we built a huge deck with a gate that could be locked. We called State Farm before building the pool, and it made no difference on our insurance bill nor did they even have any requirements (which was surprising). The ONLY requirement was that we had to have a building permit (per JoCo) and that was at the time recently enacted due to a drowning of Jarrett Odom.

http://vanceholmes.com/court/trial_odom.html

Now, I don't know what difference a building permit makes in child drownings due to negligent parents, I guess the county can make some cash off of tragedy.