JCC Textbooks

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Luvgoose1, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Bad news Rocky- the bookstore just called me back. Seems that the instructors have ordered a custom book for A&P with a little bit of this and a little bit of that from books. It's also got other stuff in it, so we have to buy it from them.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

well for lack of a better term, that stinks.

3. JenJen458

JenJen458 Well-Known Member

Well wonderful, I was hoping to find that book cheaper also. Almost $300 dollars is ridiculous.

4. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

This is becoming fairly common practice from what I understand from brother-in-law who writes textbooks. Creating custom books like this keeps you a captive consumer to the college bookstore, where you can only get the book for full price, which benefits both the college and the publisher. To make it worse, they change things up each semester, so you can't sell your book back or buy a used text. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it is true.

5. Hotwire

Hotwire Well-Known Member

I just used bookrental.com as referred to by this thread. I am very happy so far, it saved me quite a bit of money. They had all the books I needed in the edition I needed them, the other place (chegg.com) didn't have the books I needed.

Thanks!

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I found out today that the book store is going to start selling books on Friday (tax free weekend) They will be open 8am to 4pm. And they will be open on Saturday as well (not sure what those hours are).

I know I am going to get there early on Friday. I know they have the flash cards for the Medical Terminology I am taking. They are suppose to also have flash cards for A&P but they did not have them out yet.

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

We found out today that if the student has a scholarship and rents a book, let's say online, the student cannot use the scholarship money at that time to get the book. The student must rent the book, show proof of rental and then they will be reimbursed. Not good for those who cannot afford to do it up front. If a student/family can afford it up front then it is a great deal.

Just wanted people to understand this portion as I was asking my daughter's counselor about this today.

Sherry

8. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I'd still compare prices - sometimes your rentals can be 1/2 of what you'd pay if buying, so if you could put it on a credit card (and get reimbursed before interest is applied) you'd still be able to stretch your scholarship money.
    Also - if you do end up buying them from campus this semester - I'd check the online sites about selling them at the end of the semester. If they buy your books, you can choose to either get paid or receive credit toward your next purchase. It seemed to us that they paid better than the campus books stores, and they paid for the shipping!

9. Sherry A.

Thanks so much for the information. We need all the information and advice.

Thanks,
    Sherry

10. JenJen458

JenJen458 Well-Known Member

Has anyone taken developmental psych online? I don't have any experience renting books and I'm thinking about renting this book. But I'm scared there is a CD or a website code that comes with the book in the bookstore and it won't come with the one I rent. I've taken a lot of classes online and many of them have a code that you have to have to use the website. Does anyone know? Thanks!

11. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

I went yesterday to see how many books I need to buy. I need a truck to get them home!!!!!! The online Ap is over 600 alone. My tuition is less than my books. Books are going to be ~ 1400; tuition ~ 700 (if that). Sigh.
    Good news, the Nursing "bundle" is good for all 4 semesters.

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you guys. DD needs the same books. The two she needs are going to be $566.50 total. :banghead:

13. Luvgoose1

The fun never ends. Just got back from JCC trying to get books with my DD. There are people stretched all the way from the bookstore to the cafeteria, and the folks halfway down the line have been there since 8am. Just crazy! Guess we will have to take our chances at getting them late next week. Hope they don't sell out, reason would stand that they would order enough to cover the number of students allowed in the class, and since the books can't be ordered anywhere else (customized for JCC) they know how many they will need. :banghead:

14. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

I got there at 8:40. Left at 12:45. I don't understand why they do things that way. It was the same as the summer school registration. Why can't they be more organized???
    They did not have of one of my books and one lab kit. I don't think they ran out, I think they didn't get the order on time b/c I was there last week and they didn't have either then.

15. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

That's why I didn't go today...

I'm going to wait till next week. They'll order more books if they run out, and yes it's a PITA having to keep going down there, but I am NOT standing in that line again to buy books!

16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

do they offer the option of ordering and paying for them online, then you just go by and pick them up when they tell you (email) they're ready? Most schools do offer this.

17. Sherry A.

That would be awesome. Glad you asked this question.

Sherry

18. Sherry A.

Very smart move on your end and thanks for Posting this. I read it off to my daughter and we both took a deep breath as we thought we were going to be stuck in heat and a very long line. Your idea is refreshing.

Sherry

19. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

20. Luvgoose1

We asked about the online ordering and they will google the address you give them to ensure it is at least 20 miles away. If it's real close to the 20, they may let it slide. I'm not sure if you could have them sent to someone else's address that is further away or if they will match the address of the student they have in the system....