Monroe Rd. to be paved!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Aug 12, 2010.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

:hurray:I've been waiting for this for a long time,it's one of DOT's road projects for this year.For those that are not familiar with Monroe Rd.,it's the dirt road connecting Polenta Rd. to Cleveland Rd. Maybe this will cut down on all that trash dumping to be seen there,including sofas,deer carcasses,wash machines,etc.,etc.:x

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My GPS took me down that thing once for an appt, I was like WTH???? LOL Glad to hear it.

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Do you have an ETA on when they are suppose to pave it?

I figure they are going to do that cause the new high school is about to open.

4. AnnetteL

I wish I did,all it said in the Smithfield Heralds article was 'this year' and that the estimated cost for paving the one mile stretch was supposed to be $415,000,whoah!
    I think you're right about the new high school having something to do with it!

5. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

That's got to be about the last of the dirt roads at this end of the county.

I remember when...

[​IMG]

6. AnnetteL

Even though my husband is still using it as a shortcut to Barber mill Rd.,I haven't used in a long time.The last time I drove through there I actually saw a parked truck with who knows what in the back,it was pulled over waiting for me to pass by,it gave me the creeps and I forgot to take a look at his license plate...

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Unfortinately...or fortinately in this case you can't just go in and slap some pavement down and be done. There is alot of work that has to be done to prep. the road surface to accept the asphalt and while the costs seems high, if the work is done right it will be cheaper in the long run that doing it half-cocked this year and then again in two years.

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Can't do it now

But what I would of liked to have seen would of been a road connecting Indian Camp Road to Barber Mill. But then it would have to run right through the middle of the new school. But paving Monroe will definitely be making going to Barber mill easier. Always hated driving it when it was a dirt road. Also its shorter to Barber mill then having to go over to Watkins then to Barber mill.

9. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Why do you go all the way to Watkins and then back to Barber Mill? you can easily take Grill, dumps you out 1/2 mile from Barber mill....unless you just got your road names mixed up......:jester:

10. AnnetteL

Looks it might finally happen and get paved,DH saw all the new survey stakes the other day.

11. Ksokol22

Ksokol22 Well-Known Member

Even if the road gets paved, I will never drive it again. I got in an accident on that road in 2009 because some idiot dumped glass in the middle of the road, which popped my back tired and I spun out. That dumb*** almost got myself and 3 of my friends killed that day... Needless to say, I am not too fond of that road.

12. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Still thinking NO on paving Monroe Rd.

One of the major FARM owners along there just passed away (a year or so ago). I'm betting this is part of his FARM ESTATE being settled by his family/children.

13. AnnetteL

Since the road is State owned that should not really matter.

14. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I would LOVE to see McLemore Road going all the way to HWY 42!!!! Hate going to Cornwallis or to Barber Mill.

15. AnnetteL

I contacted NC DOT today and this is what I've found out
    Quote:
    We are currently still attempting to acquire the need right-of-way to construct the road. We would like to have the road built and paved prior to school opening this fall, but we’re having some issues with the right-of-way. So stay tuned, we hope to have something moving shortly.

16. AnnetteL

Looks like they started working on it.

17. AnnetteL

I had contacted DOT earlier asking if they had started constructing the road and just received the following email.
    Quote: "We have! We just secured the last of the Right-of-Way a little over a week ago, so we got started as soon as we could. We hope to have it complete before school starts this fall, but it will be really tight. If we don’t make it before school starts, it shouldn’t be much after that we will have it open."