1st Time Yard Sale - Questions

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gardnerjanelle, Aug 15, 2010.

1. gardnerjanelle

gardnerjanelle Well-Known Member

Contemplating having a yard sale for the 1st time and am wondering if it's worth it or not.
    My boys have of course tons of toys that they'd like to "sell". For instance, I was thinking it might be easier to bag/box alike toys. Big box full of TMNTurtles...with accessories such as large trucks, etc. Is this something that he could ask $10 for realistically? Or a box full of Power Ranges, accessories for $10? 10+ Wrestlers w/accessories, etc. These are the kinds of things they have.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Yard sales stuff like that generally sells better individually.

If you sell it online, however, sets are better - and you get more money. Like 4042.com classifieds, craigslist or ebay.

If you have a large amount and variety yard sales are worth it, but a LOT of work.

3. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

You won't get what things are worth to you, but it will clear out all that crap that you aren't using. My rule is put it in the yard sale, get as much as we can, but nothing comes back in the house. If it doesn't sell, it goes to Goodwill or the dump.
    It will help tremendously if you speak Spanish.

4. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I have a 3 step process that I use....Yard sale first (cause that's the easiest) then one month advertised on Craigslist and other sites as well as ebay, if you have an account. After one month, Goodwill gets it if it's worth it. I agree with the other posters, selling online in groups is good for collectors, and selling individually is best for yard sales....However, if someone seems to be picking up 2 or three, encourage them to take it all for one price...if they say it's too much, go down a dollar or two.

Just be ready with change, about 50 should do you good... Make sure to have coin change as well if you have items marked at the 10 cent or such levels.

I've done a lot of yard sales in my lifetime....

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

:iagree:

I had two yard sales before I moved, and don't plan on ever having another one, even though I still have too much stuff. I've been in the new house 6 weeks now, and still haven't finished unpacking. Glad Goodwill is right around the corner, for all that stuff that makes me say, "Why did I move that?"

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

It will also help if you have 6 extra sets of eyes when the mini-vans start pulling up .... ;)

7. gardnerjanelle

gardnerjanelle Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! You gave me a couple of laughs, as well as advice!

Unfortunately, I do not speak Spanish and know that would be a disadvantage to a yard sale.

8. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

You don't need to speak or understand spanish... just hold up how many fingers you want for it. They understand that. :jester:

9. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

i know this is an old thread...but my questions seem to apply, so i am doing my part to keep the new thread clutter to a minimum. hahahaha!

ok, i have never had a yard sale, and i do not frequent them...it's been 10's of years (we won't say how many!) it's been since i've been to any. so i am starting from sheer ignorance. here's my basic questions:

1. what time is the best to start and end?
    2. can i run it by myself? hubby just so happens :) to be busy with soccer from now until eternity on sat a.m.'s
    3. am i better off pricing individually or putting out boxes or tables with signs that say, "everything on this table 50 cents" or something like that?
    4. do the following pricing guidelines i found doing a quick google search seem about right?
    Standard prices in our area for popular items are as follows:
    * Books (Hardback) - $.50 to $1.00
    * Books (Paperback) - $.25 to $.50
    * Magazines - $.10 to $.25
    * Cassette Tapes - $.25
    * CDs - $.50 to $1.00
    * DVDs - $1.00 to $2.00
    * Clothing - $.25 to $3.00 (dependent on quality and shape of items - some clothing can even get more!)
    * Children's Toys - range greatly in price, usually from .$25 to several dollars depending on the brand and quality of toy.
    5. 4042.com yard sale post, signs at entrances to development, anywhere else i should advertise?
    6. anything i forgot to ask?!

i know that's a lot of questions, but any help would be appreciated. if i make $20 profit, i'm gonna be happy...then the rest to goodwill! thanks so much!!!

10. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

1-7am-till (12ish)

2- yes, but you'll regret it. Find a buddy to come hang out with you.

3-You'll get mixed reaction on this one, but I never price individually. It's too much work. Group like priced items together.

4-Those guidelines sound damn near perfect for a yard sale.

5-Craigslist, major intersections close to your house

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

People still buy cassette tapes? :shock: Do they buy VHS? (assuming you meant music)

<---has an embarrassing amount of stuff and needs to have a yard sale!

12. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

<---has an embarrassing amount of stuff and needs to have a yard sale![/QUOTE]

i think i will go ahead and do mine this saturday and get it over with. no hemming and hawwing around (i'm sure those weren't spelled right!)...just check that off my list. if i planned it for 2 months from now, i'd still wait until the tuesday before to actually get ready for it!

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

If you advertise starting at 7:00, you will have people at 6:00 and you will be busy by 6:45. People hit those things early.
    I agree with the previous post, you can succeed by yourself, but there will be times when you are overwhelmed. You should get someone to help you. At a minimum, get help setting up and taking down.

14. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

oh, good grief, i haven't seen 6:00 since the last time i stayed up that late! i suppose one time doesn't kill me, but when hubby is back from soccer, it's NAPTIME for me!

15. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

I have always just made up prices as people pick stuff up. I can tell you that along time ago like 10 yrs ago we had a mad pay 100.00 in cash for my cousins TMNT figures! Just the Figures!!!!

16. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

there's no turning back now! sent a feeler email out to the grandparents to see if maybe nana might want to hang out with the kids one weekend (jokingly suggested this weekend) while i yard sale. and she's in...for THIS SATURDAY!!! god bless nanas. :)

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Got any girl clothes? What is the age range of the toys?

18. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

no girl clothes, sorry! well, no pink anyway! boy clothes, toddler and little guy sizes.

toys will be toddler mostly. although i do have 3 or 4 mini camp chairs that are in good shape...but my boys grew too fast!

and a bunch of odds and ends in the christmas department...some never used, still with tags on them. just want them to go to a good home because they were thoughtful gifts we just don't have space or need for.

i can't even remember what else i have...i just know i've been adding to a pile i deemed "that would be good for the yard sale!" for about 6 months now.

19. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

when we have yard sales we are usually pretty prepared but so many times forget to have change! that is so important!

Don't you hate that first customer of the day that always wants to pay for a cheap item with a big bill so they can have change to go shopping? geez

db's wfie

20. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

posted in the classfieds, mental note to get change...probably better make that an actual note on paper!, just need to make enough to take nana out to dinner for coming to help and hang out with my boys!

thanks, everyone, for all the help!