Organic meat

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Anyone know of places around here that sell by the whole or half cow? I've heard of some place in Apex that sells organic beef reasonably priced IF you buy half or whole cow. We can do that and freeze it. Just curious if others know of places locally. Or the one in Apex. We tired of getting water injected meat at stores lately. And, the beef at Lowes is way overpriced for organic meat. Doesn't necessarily have to be organic. Just a whole or half cow locally. Also, anyone know about how much that runs nowadays. Last I checked it was around $600. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I saw an ad on craigslist the other day under farm and garden. I;ll see if I can locate.

3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Just did a search in Farm and Garden for "meat" and found several, including one in Clayton (Falcon Park Farm, I think) Some of the prices I found were, for a half or quarter cow-$3.25 lb, whole cow-$2.75 lb., this being hanging weight. Found one looking to sell "shares" in a Berkshire hog for $1.00 lb., on the hoof.
    Take a look....seems to be some GOOOOOD EATIN' out there! 8)

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Stephanie, just a thought from a farmers daughter. I don't know if I would spend the extra money on organic beef. The reason I say that is how do you know they are "organic". That beef animal, who knows what it was fed as far as grain goes or what was in the feed, even if they say it is "pasture" raised, how do you know how long it has been pasture land and if it has ever been fertilized. On top of that the farm that butchered it, did they buy the animal when it was older or was it raised there.

That is just my opinion way to many "ifs" out there for me to justify organic. Just trying to help save a $$

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I started to post something similar. I spent some time on my aunt's dairy over the weekend and they were telling us about a neighbor that sells "organic" milk. It's a crock. They are just pencil whipping it, there is nothing inherently "organic" about what that guy is doing. He's just paying lip service and doing the same old same old. And getting nearly double for the milk. I'm not saying that is true for all organic farmers by any means, but there are no guarantees out there.

6. cece

cece Well-Known Member

Clayton Farmers Market on Saturday has a booth with an organic meat farmer. If you are on Facebook the you could join the Clayton Farmers Market and they could probably give you their contact info.

7. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

:iagree: IMO, I won't spend the money on any oganic meat or dairy product for that matter but that is just me, alot of people do.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yup..............I think some of it (not all) is just a big ole marketing ploy to separate folks from their cash. I'd drink my aunt and uncles "non-organic" milk over their neighbors "organic" milk any time, any where.

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

A CATTLE MOMMA here--- I gotta agree! You are much better off looking for FARM RAISED & GRASS FED LOCAL beef.

Craig's List usually has a few listings. Meat usually goes for $5.00 and up per pound, for 1/2 a side of beef.

10. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

That is what I meant & posted the wrong dog gone thing. Sorry. I meant to say GRASS FED LOCAL beef. Sorry, I had other things on my mind. I will definitely check out some of those places people mentioned. Had no idea there were any here. It's fantastic! Cost is a big factor but a bigger factor is some of the stuff put in some of the meat we've seen lately. I'm sorry but I don't want bone in my meat. Nor water. Cooks down to nothing. Seriously. We've been using 5lbs of beef for meals and that is barely enough. Should not cook down that much. Never used to. Thanks for all the advice. My husband grew up w/ family being farmers and doing some farming. I do agree w/ posters on here that not all organic is all it's cracked up to be. Thanks again. I can't wait to check some of the items out. We are trying to buy more locally at this house and support more local farmers. Frankly, I'm tired of cheap stuff from china falling apart, meat being pumped w/ things, & fruit covered in wax. We get most our veggies/fruit from either our garden or a farmer up the street. Now, we're working on the meat part of it all. As a military brat who spent time growing up on what is now a contaminated site, I know what chemicals can do to a body. Trying to avoid more damage for me and my family.

stephanie--mom to 7

11. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Check with McLamb Meats & Butchering...910-892-7279. I think they raise a lot of their own catttle and hogs, so he can probably tell you if they are grass fed or not. They are between Benson and Dunn and may be a little bit of a ride for you but I am always told they have the best prices on buying large amounts of meat. My in-laws just bought a whole butchered hog at $1.85 per pound; best ribs and sausage I have had in a long time!

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Some of the things they do to be "Organic" and successful are as scary or scarier than the tried and true modern methods.

13. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

i've got a NCSU degree in horticulture. organic for the most part is BS. Yes, there are "rules" for organics, but a lot of "organics" don't comply. (probably most)! I've been ask to produce organic stuff. I told the buyer about the "rules" and he said it was OK if I didn't use chemicals. Wrong. The field can't have chemicals for "x" many years. The "plantlets" can't be started in commercial substrate which has a chemical nutrient charge (fertilizer).

If you're into organics, cool, but realize, a lot of marketing is in play

14. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

What if you buy "certified" organic stuff? Just wondering.

I remember reading some of the labels in the produce section at Whole Foods once and the labels said some were fully certified organic some said just as above that they were from fields where chemicals hadnt been used in x amount of years but were not yet considered organic. i read these labels a long time ago so i might not be wording this exactly right.

DB's wife

15. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

yes, there are true certified organic products. I just think many are gimicks. I personally had a guy who was starting an organic salsa company ask me to grow peppers for him. I told him we didn't have any fields that had been out of production long enough to be certified. He did not care. Said to just not use pesticides. I didn't do it. I'm sure there are a lot of legitimate organic products. However, I think it's more of a marketing scheme. At least that's how it's pitched to growers by suppliers and buyers.