Westview 3rd grade--??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

My son just received teacher assignments and apparently, he will have 5 teachers. I'm confused. He was in resource last year but not self-contained. Does anyone know if this is some type of inclusion situation they are attempting?? Have a call in but thoroughly confused & concerned as he was in a regular setting last year. Anyone else get a teacher assignment w/ 5 teachers??? Thanks.

stephanie--mom to 7

2. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

All 5th grades are going to 3 classes from what i can tell. Did u get your 5th graders teacher yet? Sorry, i dont have a 3rd grader

3. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

ours said 5 team teachers as well and that there would be a powerpoint presentation at orientation to explain.

4. littlejoey

littlejoey Active Member

My daughter has 2 teachers for the 4th grade. Ms. Stafford for homeroom, language arts and social studies and Mrs. Brown for math and science. Is this new w/ the multiple teachers?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  5. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

3rd grader here too- ONE teacher @ Cleveland...

6. Abdulina

my 5th grader has Ms. Martin who is not going to be there for orientation. So, we have to go to a separate orientation on Friday.

I can tell you after I got off the phone w/ the high school that this is ALL changing this year due to NCLB. They are doing inclusion classes. For those who don't know what that is, it is where the special needs children are put into regular classes and other teachers are in the classroom walking around to help. They say it won't be noticed by the other students and that no one is singled out. I will not get into a political debate on here about inclusion but just know I am VERY against it for multiple reasons.

I am beyond upset that this is transpiring and in addition that no one warned the parents. Iv'e spoken w/ several teachers who are not happy either about how this came to be. It sounds like this is what is taking place on the elementary level as well. Though, I can't confirm that yet.

I will let you all know if I find out more. I know my son's previous resource teacher is now listed as one of his teachers on that "team." Sounds like inclusion to me and if it is, it will be an interesting experiment to see how it turns out. They practiced this last year w/ my son's class(math)...sort of. To let you know how it turned out, he's repeating this year. Enough said.

stephanie--mom to 7

7. paige1

paige1 Member

I have a third grader at West View - One teacher assigned.

My fifth grader will rotate between three different teachers, one for math, one for science and social studies, and one for reading.

8. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

9. Abdulina

10. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

My son is in mrs martins as well. We are going out of town friday so i cant even meet her beforehand. Ugh!

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

sent you a PM lil joey. ;)

12. Abdulina

Have to let you know how it goes. I'm going to the school tomorrow for some answers. I've always had really great luck w/ teachers at Westview. Only had one that didn't work out and that was an unique situation. Otherwise, always been great teachers w/ no issues whatsoever. Can't wait to meet some. One of my daughter's teachers only has 4 things on the supply list! My 3rd grader...much, much, much more. Oh well. At least one not so bad supply list is great. My 5th grader was given no supply list. My 1st grader's isn't too bad either. Though I can't imagine giving him 20 pencils. Umm, no. I'll give him 2 and when he needs more throughout the year, I'll give it to him then. Giving them 20 at that age to lose is not the brightest of ideas. LOL. Good luck to all and can't wait to see some of the teachers this year. I know there are some big changes happening & do hope it works out for everyone.

Stephanie--mom to7

13. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Polenta didn't even send me a Teacher letter for my 3rd grade daughter.....Has anyone from Polenta gotten their assigned teachers yet?

Orientation isn't until monday, but it'd still be nice to know!

14. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Doesn't the child's IEP state his educational setting?

15. teach

teach Active Member

supply lists went home in the report cards for every grade level...it is also on the school's website under "supplies"

16. Abdulina

Most teachers have their own lists though too. I know years past I'd buy the generic list & then either not use it or not have enough. More of a guideline I know but like to know what each teacher wants. Teachers are getting more reasonable w/ lists which I as a parent appreciate greatly. 2 years ago, one of my kids brought home a 2 page list. No lie. So, I do appreciate them really thinking about what's needed and being more reasonable than years past. It helps everyone for sure.

stephanie--mom to 7

17. Abdulina

Somewhat. If you have inclusion classes, you have NO choice. It had thrown me for a loop for sure. I have found out much over the last day or so and am still trying to digest it all. My child is slated for resource but won't have resource persay as he's in an inclusion classroom. My daughter is in self-contained classification but they don't do that in hs level. USED to have separate classes though. Now, they have inclusion this year and told today her regular class will have a minimum of thirty kids, most likely more as the week progresses, and teachers walking around helping the students (like my daughter) who need it. Yeh, as if that's not singling them out. So, even though the IEP states the setting, the inclusion status has kind of debunked some of that. I'm still learning though so hoping some of it's wrong but it is coming straight from the teacher so assuming they know what they are talking about for sure. Having a hard time finding the good in this right now though I'm seriously trying to.

18. LJN

LJN Well-Known Member

Polenta Teacher Assignments

Teacher assignments for Polenta went out last week. I got mine on Friday the 13th. You should have gotten a call from the Principal last night that explains what to do if you didn't get your teacher assignment yet.

19. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

i know school just started today, but so far, our family is VERY excited about 3rd grade at west view with the team teaching. should be a fun, busy year!