Why does Johnston county change bus drivers?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by SaraBeth, Aug 20, 2010.

1. SaraBeth

SaraBeth Guest

why do the schools change bus drivers? my daughter had the best driver for 2 years and now she has someone different. I trusted Ms Hodge, I knew she would take care of my daughter and had no worries what so ever when she was in this drivers care. Now this year there is someone completely new. May have to start carpool again.

2. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

It's possible that it's because she wasn't a bus driver per se but was a teacher assistant or something similar that was MADE to drive a bus.

I really don't understand why Johnston Country requires this. They'd probably get better quality bus drivers and better quality TAs if they left them separate. It's two different sets of skills and qualifications..

3. OmniOne1

OmniOne1 Well-Known Member

I would assume it is cheaper to pay one set of people to TA and drive the buses. Than to pay two sets of people separately. Taxes would surely rise to front this payroll increase. And I for one, don't want to pay for that.

4. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I truly feel sorry for the bus drivers. Have every year. I looked into subbing & going the TA route one year. As soon as they told me I'd have to drive a bus... I was out. The bus driver we have is wonderful. You know what they're doing to this poor woman this year? Giving her 3 bus routes! That's right. She's driving elementary, middle & highschool routes for our neighborhood. Though I'm glad she'll have all my kids, think of her day doing this and then going to school afterwards. I commend all the bus drivers for having to put up with this. It is my understanding they don't pay them extra but maybe I'm wrong about that.

A big reason for the change I'm assuming is the new schools built. Many changes took place this year in JCPS system and many things parents weren't told. Like the team teacher approach and inclusion classes as part of this. I wished many things JCPS would have told us. I had assumed all bus assignments would change just due to new schools. However, pleasantly surprised to find out we have the same wonderful driver we've had for years.

Every school year brings new adjustments. This is just another to add to that ever changing list JCPS has.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Substitutes don't drive buses, do they?

SaraBeth, why don't you meet & greet with the bus driver before you make the decision to sit in car pool for hours and emit more emmissions into the environment.

6. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

No, the subs don't drive buses but I was looking more at the TA route. We have never ever had an issue w/ any of our bus drivers and have had one lady for years. She's great & kids know her well. She did inform me that they have installed cameras on ALL buses and have to address issues w/ any child immediately. No chances or anything like that. I was surprised w/ budge cuts that they'd spend money on cameras in the buses. I'm w/ Cleo for the op...give the new one a chance for sure. Like I said, I've never had an issue w/ any bus driver and we've had plenty over the years. Good luck.

Stephanie--mom to 7

7. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Change is pretty much the norm here. Johnston Co. less than Wake Co. More growth = more schools = change.

8. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

they also make custodians drive buses, my hubby worked for them years ago and was exempt cause of a neck injury. i wouldnt mind doing any other work at the schools except drive a bus.that probably keeps alot of qualified people from applying for those jobs, they should give you a choice if you want to or not