Copperheads

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

What is the best way to get rid of them? Mothballs, sulfur, or a good hunting cat to get rid of their food source combined with ridding the property of snake habitats?

2. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

All of the above!
    In the Pool Pump room we had an issue w/ Mr. No Shoulders 3 yrs ago... went w/ Moth Balls- I mean an entire Box! No snakes since then!

Good Luck!

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

A shovel and a bb gun.

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Are there any Billy the Exterminator-types around these parts? You could always call somebody like that. Otherwise, I'm not getting any close than shotgun distance.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Stop killing King Snakes.

6. Get some black snakes....and I don't mean Alabama Black Snakes.:lol:

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Amen to that.

8. Cleopatra

Quite a few acres here, and it backs up to a fairly large creek. Yeah, prime copperhead real estate!

Probably impossible to keep them off the property entirely, but I don't want to see one slithering out from under my back deck again. :shock:

I'm gonna go with the mothballs under the deck, look into getting a cat to hunt the mice that I have seen in the yard in the past, and clear some brush this fall/winter.

I found an AWESOME kitty on cl. I am waiting back to hear if it is still available.

9. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

MOVE!! Geez, how many times do I have to give the same advice? :jester:

10. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

If you live in an area prone to snakes--especially venomous--I'd definitely avoid taking any nighttime strolls in low-light conditions. I guess that stands to reason, but I'd agree with michelle. I'd move if it were possible and you were dealing with a hopeless case of riding the property of snakes and their food supply.

11. I once had somebody tell me that a snake won't crawl over a rope. Anybody else heard that?

12. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Move to Maine. It is the only state in the country that has no poisonous snakes. There's your useless fact of the day...

13. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

You might want to have someone check for snakes under the house before putting any snake away products out.

The snakes will COME IN THE HOUSE if they feel trapped under the house. Gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it!

I've heard of people finding snakes in the dryer!

My husband saw a snake last week climbing up a brick wall!

Ok I'm gonna have nightmares now!

14. Cleopatra

Really? Move? Maybe in a few years, but not anytime soon. I just don't want them around the house, where the girls play. I am bummed that they won't be able to take advantage of the woods and the creek without extreme supervision, Thing I is Steve Erwin reincarnated.

I haven't done that much research Jester, is it that bad?

4ME2KNOW, I'm on a slab so I don't think I have to worry about that.

15. grandma4

grandma4 Well-Known Member

Hawaii too I believe.

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Yes, I have heard of this. I believe it goes back to the Cowboy days.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I would bet Alaska is also, course you have some pretty nasty bears instead.

18. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I think that copperheads account for the most reported venomous snake bites in NC, so if you have a natural water source nearby along with a lot of underbrush, I'd definitely be careful where you walk...at night, especially so. Also, its the smaller copperheads that often inject the most venom in a defensive situation. Snakes are very inventive about finding their way indoors. Not likely, but you'd want to make sure that any holes they could possibly squeeze through are closed up. Smaller holes could be filled with steel wool in a pinch.

Yeah, I'd hate to think you'd have to move simply due to a elevated threat of snakes. Just be careful. When my wife was a child, she was coming out the backdoor and her dad shouted to her not to step off the door step. She said had she done that, she would have stepped on a large cottonmouth (water moccasin) and they, too, can pump alot of venom into a victim.

20. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Well, the best way to get rid of snakes, is to put them in the microwave of a jumbo jet, hit Snake, Start, and wait for it to go DING! Compliments of the Male Flight attendant on Snakes on a Plane. :jester: