A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Canning party at kdc's... Next summer. I'll bring the veggies. The deer ate my garden this year.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Poor garden! I am seriously thinking of making another batch of applebutter to can soon. :cheers:

3. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Great idea!! i can supply cucumbers to make pickles and tomatoes & all kinds of peppers to make salsa if anyone knows how:cheers:

4. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I am on my way home from California after watching my best friend get married this weekend. Although I did end up in the ER when we were suppose to be on a wine tour, it was still an awesome trip! :)

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Salsa is easy. I made almost a gallon last week for my "girls" at the Clayton Library. Let me know when and I'll come over and we'll make up a batch.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks!!!! i still have your dish too sitting ready for ya. We'll have to plan it for a Sat evening and make a party of it:cheers:

7. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Thanks to my generous neighbors (giving me more tomatoes than we can eat) I have tried making some too, and its turned out pretty good. Is there anything else I should add? :)

This is what I put in mine:
    fresh tomato
    red, yellow, and green bell peppers
    onion
    cilantro
    jalapeno
    S&P
    garlic
    a small can of tomato sauce (to thicken in up a bit)

8. dgsatman

That's pretty much what I use, sometimes a can of tomato paste if it needs more flavor. I also usualy use lime juice, and sometimes corn and/or black beans.
    One time I had some pickled okra that ended up being "cooked" when we tried to get the jars to seal. It was very good, just not crunchy. I added that to a batch of salsa and it was VERY good. Lot's of folks add pineapple, mango etc., and if you like a fruity salsa, that's OK. I just tend to stick to the basics.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I adore the salsa at LaCocina. It's never exactly the same from time to time, we went Friday night and it was so HOT. Good, but hot! Someone put an extrad dab of something or other in there!! :lol:

10. dgsatman

Last time we went (a couple of weeks ago) it was warmer than usual. I like their salsa, but I don't process mine like that. I prefer to hand chop some of mine to give it some texture.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yeah, I normally like mine a little chunkier too, but overlook it there, because it has such a good flavor, not weak like a lot of places.

I need a salsa recipe, I've never tried to make any. Looks simple enough though.

12. dgsatman

It really is, simple that is, and very subjective as to taste, texture and ingredients. I never use a recipe, and although it's slightly different every time it's always good. Use the ingredients above and start with lots of tomatos and add the others to taste. Betcha it'll turn out great!!

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm going to give it a shot.............will have to pay a visit to the farmers market this weekend. :cheers:

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

lime juice and some avocado are yummy additions!

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Can I leave out the bell peppers?? I hate those things and don't think they are in most salsa I've had. :confused:

16. dgsatman

Player's Choice ;)

17. Cleopatra

Lime juice is a must!!!

18. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I got a small river going thru the front yard. :?

Wonder how much flood insurance is? :p

19. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I am soaked from head to toe...

20. Cleopatra

Really??? The last day of summer vacay and it is a washout?? We were supposed to go to the Super Duper Beach Party!!!!