Toyota 4 Runner OR Ford Explorer?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, Aug 23, 2010.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Do any of you have one, if so how do you like it, what year is it, any problems etc...

TIA :grouphug:

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Have had 3 Explorers (all pre '95) and loved them all. That being said, if you are thinking about a new one, I think I read where they are starting to build them on a car frame, and the pictures I've seen look more like a crossover than a SUV.

Not impressed with the new bodystyle, AT ALL!

3. harleygirl

05-07 Model is what I'm looking at one that I can buy outright and have NO PAYMENTS!!!

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

DH had a Toyota 4runner years ago and he absolutely loved it.

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I know you do a lot of driving. Have you checked the gas mileage on these, I've heard it's not great. :neutral:

6. harleygirl

Yeah I have. :ack:

The "packages" we have on our site makes it easier for people just to order on line. :hurray: So that will be less driving for me. Whoop Whoop!

Thanks for thinking about me! :grouphug:

Dag gone, the 4 runners are EXPENSIVE!!! <gag>

7. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

I have a 98 Explorer and I love it!

I also know of someone who had a 98 Explorer and got in an accident where the truck rolled about 3 times. The car was beat up a bit but if she had been in any other car, she would have been crushed to death!

I have no problems with mine at all...knock on wood.

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

2007 Explorer here. 87,000 miles. no problems, oil changes and a new set of tires. No rattles, great drive (to me). V6, not V8. i can get 23 mpg on the highway where most of my driving is. 17-18 mpg just back and forth to work.

9. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I really like the looks of the 2011. It is on a car body, but will still have the 3rd row option, but max towing goes from 7500 # (or so) to 5000#. Looks a little like the GMC Acadia /Chevy Traverse

10. harleygirl

Thanks!
    Yeah, I'm looking at the V-6, I don't NEED 4 wheel drive.

11. dgsatman

Had an accident in my '95 Explorer in 1998 at the Chops intersection. I was heading toward 40/42 on SR1010 and HS girl in a Mazda coming the other way came into my lane and tried to make a left turn. I hit her and knocked her back 300 ft or so and I ended up totaled upside down in the ditch beside the church. From that day on I have believed in seat belts and Explorers. I basically walked away (staggered is more like it) with far less injuries than I would have had in a lesser vehicle.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

parents used to have an explorer, then they bought a 4 runner and gave us the explorer, and mom always said she wished she had kept the explorer as it seemed alittle more roomier and comfortable than the 4 runner.

Rolled the explorer several eyars ago in Florida and we now have a jeep grand cherokee limited, that is nicer than the explorer was and the explorer was the Eddie Bauer edition.

Dad just recently sold his eclipse spyder (to us BTW) and they bought a GMC Acadia for mom to drive and dad took the 4 runner. The 4 runner is always going to maintain a higher resale value for a comparable explorer, but my best suggestion is to try and one of each to test drive to see which you feel more comfortable with/in.

13. CraigSPL

I'll have to see if the wife still has her photobucket album of our explorer accident in Florida. I walked away with only minor bumps, bruises and a scrap or two. Wife had a few other minor aches and pains, but nothing major.

14. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Your moms new suv is the Envoy :)

Its very nice, she got a 2008 with low miles, 4WD and in excellent condition and paid approx. $16k for it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dgsatman

Looks very much like the one I rolled in '98, except that you don't have near as much crap coming out the back as I did! :)

17. harleygirl

I remember seeing those pix before.
    Ya'll are 2 lucky people.

18. CraigSPL

The side view pix of it still upside down against the curb is impressive as well.

19. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

this one?

20. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

I had a 92 explorer, got rid of it 3 yrs ago with 242,000 miles. I had very little problems and i loved driving it.