Can anyone recommend a GPS?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sd214, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sd214

sd214 Well-Known Member

I am searching for a new GPS and, after looking through reviews of a number of units, I am getting disheartened by the user reviews on some well known brands. Can anyone recommend a particular GPS? I have owned two Magellans and don't want to purchase another. Also, I don't need all the bells and whistles (don't need Bluetooth or FM receiver). I would like to spend no more than $200. Thanks for any opinions offered.

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi, bought the lifetime updated maps for $120 (?)

LOVE IT!

Got mine off e-bay for $150 and that was 2 years ago.

btw, LOVE IT!!!
    I update the maps every quarter.

LOVE IT!!!!

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If you are traveling in the United States alone you might consider a "Droid" phone. I own a Garmin Nuvi and the only time I use it now is when I am out of the country.

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We have two Mio's. All the features of the bigger names, much smaller price tag. Zero issues with either one. In fact, DH was able to hack one of them, it now has the same software as one of the pricey ones and does text to speech. It didn't come with that. :jester: He's gotta figure out mine next, I really like that feature.

5. sd214

sd214 Well-Known Member

GPS

Thanks for all the input. I do have a Droid, and the navigation app works very well. However, it doesn't offer features like POI's. Also, screen is rather small and I'm hesitant to use it constantly for navigation as it rapidly drains the battery.

6. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

i second the garmin nuvi. I've got'em in my truck, the wife's, and in my delivery trucks. Large screen and easy to program. No bluetooth, but the last one I bought does show traffic problems. All were around $200

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Same here.....and I've seen the map upgrade gift cards for 109 at Target to save ten bucks over the online upgrade costs.

8. sd214

sd214 Well-Known Member

GPS Suggestions

I had been leaning towards a Garmin Nuvi, but was a little put off by some negative reviews. Now that I have these recommendations, I am more comfortable buying the Garmin.

Thanks again, everyone.

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Wife has a Nuvi and has loved it from day one. Bought my parents a Tom Tom 1 a year or so ago for Christmas and it's nice, but I like the text to speech with street names that Nuvi does better.