Looking for......

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Jubes

Jubes Well-Known Member

I used the brown paper that you wrap packages in to mail.

2. Jubes

Jubes Well-Known Member

If the school wants only certain types of book covers then they need to supply them to the students. They shouldn't be too picky. Most of the books look like they've been stomped on anyway. :ack:

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

DD had a middle sch teacher that required they cover their books w/ paper. She provided the bag and she instructed them on how she wanted it done, this was a hw assignment and if it wasn't done properly, she was going to count it as a TEST grade! DD was having a hard time doing it according to the teachers instructions, so I showed her my way (which in my opinion covered better than the teachers) but she was terrified that she wouldn't accept it and she'd get a failing grade. So we ended up doing it my way and I wrote a letter to the teacher and told her I thought it was ridiculous to count 'a book cover' as a test grade and if she had a problem w/ the way it'd been done, she could call me. :banghead:
    I never got a call and DD said the teacher redid the book for her........:lol:

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

You've got to be kidding me on this book cover thing?? .....

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I've gotten paper bags from both Food Lion and Lowe's but it's been a while since I've requested them from Food Lion.

6. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Personally I think some of the stuff that they come up with for the kids to have is crazy!!! When I was in grade school, we also use to use brown paper bags to cover our books and we could do them any way we wanted. By the time we were in HS, it wasn't required. Guess they figured by the time we got into HS we should have learned how to take care of things.

I remember when we use to have a couple of spiral notebooks, a 3 ring binder, pencils, pens, compass, protractor.....the basics. Did not have to have a 3 ring binder for every class or a particular kind of pens, etc. We learned how to figure things, for math, on paper and then on a calculator. Heck, they even want a particular calculator for school, and those are not cheap!!

My baby graduates this year, so I just have to make it through this year.

7. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

:iagree: schools these days are taking advantage of our kids and our wallets. Our kids want to do what's right, they see so much wrong in this world and want to make it better so they follow directions, follow the leader etc. The school sends out a list of things requested for your grade. Since when do I need to supply the tissues? I remember getting Tissues, among other items, free from school! you didn't need to bring em in for the whole class to use.

When i grew up, rather WHERE I grew up, things were provided that were for use for the whole class. Like Glue, Colored paper, Tissues, etc. If it was a special project, the school paid for it. (not our teachers and certainly not my parents) I didn't go to any private fancy dancy school, I went to Public school with a PTA that was membership fee free. The only thing parents should have to buy is the basics, and if my kid wants a GI Joe or Barbie pencil to use in class, he or she should be allowed to use it. requesting only Dixon pencils or whathave you. When will this stop? when we have to supply the gas money for the teachers to get to school?

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Exactly.

9. Cleopatra

Hey GAM, do you have a hand-mixer? I blew mine up a few weeks ago.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Cleo, I have a spare if you need it. For free. It's the one I dropped in the sink full of water and shocked the living daylights out of myself with, but once it dried out, it's worked perfectly ever since.

BTW, I finally found the jumbo book covers at Target/White Oak tonight. They were on clearance as well as quite a few other things, including the shelves for the lockers. 30% off, some school supplies were already 50% off. I'll be hitting them up again over the weekend.

11. Cleopatra

WOOHOO! Awesome! I can pick it up on Friday. I am painting tomorrow. How much?

I bought 15 book covers at Walmart last winter on clearance for 10 cents. I figure I'm good for all 3 kids, they can reuse them. Or use brown paper bags ;)

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Nada, zip..........zilch!! Will be happy for it to find a new home.

13. Cleopatra

SWEET! I will be happy not to make any more of that crappy "candy" and burn it up. My arm is tired!!

I'll call you Friday!

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sounds like a plan!! :cheers:

15. Jubes

Jubes Well-Known Member

Just got an email from one of my childs teacher asking for a few classroom supplies... paper towels, kleenex, hand sanitizer, colored computer paper and construction paper... I can barely afford what he has to have. It's crazy what the schools want.:ack:

16. Cleopatra

Even crazier are the supply budgets allotted to the teachers, should they have to pay for this stuff out of their pockets? I can give some kleenex and paper to somebody who spends seven hours a day teaching and loving my child. When I was in school we each brought a big box of tissues the first day. Tissues nowadays can run 2.00 for a big box, I imagine they go through alot of tissues with snotty noses, wasteful kids, tears, etc. 22 kids in a class, in school for nine months. If each kid uses one box throughout the year, that is 44.00 (before tax). Do you want the teacher spending money on snot rags or on learning aides, etc?

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

So in other words you had issue with the teacher providing a homework assignment that if not done correctly was going to be counted against your dear child? So you then proceeded to do it your own way and then proceeded to tell the teacher that if they didn't like the way you did it to call you?

And we wonder what is wrong with kids now days.

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Well, I see your point. But it wasn't like it was an assignment about following instructions (there was nothing provided in writing) just that they had to make a book cover from her verbal specifications. I could've accepted it being counted as a HW grade - but not a test grade, they weren't being tested on how to make a fricking book cover. Believe me, this teacher was a PITA. I later found out from other parents that I wasn't the only one who felt that way, and several of us discussed this specific assignment (brought up by another parent in coversation).

and, just in case you're worried, my DD turned out just fine - graduated w/ honors and made the dean's list last yr/freshman yr. 8)

19. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

So in other words if they aren't written down then they aren't legitimate instructions? Is there any way this could have been a test? Say to find out how well the students listen and pay attention in class. I can't tell you how many times in English Lit. class we were verbally told to read chapter so and so and that there may or may not be a test on it the next day.

Guess it's a good thing I don't have kids, cause I'd probably be locked up by social services, because when I was coming along it was do what you are told the way you are told or face the consequences....now it's if you don't like it do it your own way and how dare anyone question it.

Congrats on your kid having honors and being on the Dean's list, and hopefully it wasn't one of those bogus over 4.0 GPA lists, but I have known many students including some I went to school with that carried 3.5 to 4.0 GPA's but couldn't survive in the real working world.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  20. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

It sure is easy to tell people how to parent a child correctly when you don't have any yourself.