You can be the sheriff but you can't tote a gun

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Sep 7, 2010.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Constitutional Amendment On Nov. 2 Ballot
    When voters go to the polls on November 2, they will find more than candidates’ names on their ballots. Across North Carolina, voters will decide on a constitutional amendment that could affect the names on future ballots. The 2010 General Assembly approved a measure that would ban felons from serving as sheriffs in North Carolina. Currently, the state constitution says voters must elect a county sheriff, but it does not say who is eligible to serve as a county sheriff. The amendment would add language prohibiting a felon from seeking the office of sheriff. Currently, a convicted felon in North Carolina cannot vote and cannot carry a firearm.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken that was actually brought about due to a convicted felon, who had been released wanting to run for County Sheriff and he was poling to get his name added to the balot.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

So it might not have been by choice that Andy didn't carry a gun. Perhaps, he had a DOC record.

4. CraigSPL

Personally I think that anyone who runs for sheriff should have to pass a background check ,and if elected have to complete BLET before taking office.

5. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I agree. I know its an elected office, but a sheriff should have at least 8-10 years of law enforcement experience IMO and most certainly shouldn't have a record with felony convictions.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I agree, and I also think folks have enough common sense to not elect a convicted felon to the position of County Sheriff without having to make a law outlawing it. At least I hope they do....

7. CraigSPL

but....but.....but...what about those poor counties that may have more convicted criminals than non criminals...who are they supposed to elect?

8. michelle

:iagree:

9. michelle

Obama :cheers:

10. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

LOL