Age appropriate SCARY movies for 10-12 year old's

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Sep 8, 2010.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Got any? We are staying in with our own goodies this Halloween and I want to make it fun. They are still pretty sheltered but they're past Casper. I'm thinking Ghost Busters... is there anything else? I don't want to scare the bejesus outta them. Freddie and Jason can stay on the shelf.

I AM loosening the apron strings... I promise.

2. momof3girls

momof3girls Guest

The only ones I can think of are Disney movies like the Halloweentown series...

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Gremlins, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, the old Frankenstein, Poltergiest, Wizard of Oz.......

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

By the way I just saw today that the Guy who played the rotund Interior Decorator in Beetlejuice just died this week.

Sorry for the downer.

5. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

I second Poltergeist - its pretty scary without gore. Hocus Pocus and Cirque Du Freak are pretty tame.

The Sixth Sense is PG-13 but has some pretty intense scenes.

6. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I have a few kids in that age range & mine are pretty sheltered as well. LOL. The movies that they LOVE that they consider scary are any of the Goosebumps movies. Some of the other movies mentioned have some really rough language. Goosebumps has no foul language and is scary enough for them. Past the baby scary but not as scary as the adult movies. Good luck but Goosebumps is a safe bet.

Stephanie-- mom to 7

7. nsanemom22

Ooh! Good ideas!! I'll check out the Goosebumps ones!

I loved Beeltejuice too!

8. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Got a pile if you want to borrow to see if they like it. Just let me know.

stephanie-- mom to 7

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Have a 16 and Pregnant marathon. That'll scare them, too!

10. Cleopatra

These are good suggestions. Two of my favorites from childhood are Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Gate.

Some other ones that come to mind are Little Monsters, The Monster Squad, and Critters.

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

The Gate scared the poo outta my two....

12. Cleopatra

Me too! YOU'VE BEEN BAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

hahahaha! I still say that!!

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Dag, I was already watching Jason & Freddy by that age. :lol::lol:

Rent Saw 1-5 :twisted: :hurray::hurray:

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I agree about Gremlins. I remember it being said that my cousin years ago went to see the movie when he was about that age. He had nightmares about all those greenie meanies running around. One or two of the Stephen King derived movies come to mind. There's Cujo and The Silver Bullet which are suspenseful.

16. Cleopatra

And It, Pennywise scared the crap outta me.

17. nsanemom22

Last year at Halloween while trick-or-treating, someone's house spooked my then 9½yo and I ended up sleeping with him.

Even at 9yrs..."the hand that rock the cradle"... These days won't last much longer.

18. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

How about the Goonies, not really that scary but is a classic!

The Witches is a good one about a bunch of witches that turn children into mice.

Whatever you do, don't let them watch Children of the Corn or "IT" by Steven King! My brother made me watch it when I was that age and I had nightmares for months! LOL

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I don't "do" scary movies, LOL. I had nightmares about the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz literally for YEARS! Hate that movie to this day and I don't believe DS has seen it either. He does watch a few with his dad though, nothing too major, we are pretty careful about what he watches.

We actually just saw the Goonies not too long ago on TV and my DS at 11 really liked it.

20. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about It. Good suggestion, Cleo.