Apple Orchards?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Cleopatra, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Any place to go apple picking around here?

2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

3. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I'd love to get some apple cider from them. I remember when I was younger my mom would take us to a place called the Cider Mill. It was a place in Livingston NJ near Saint Barnabas hospital. Use to get fresh apples and apple cider. mmmmmmmmm. Haven't had cider in a long time.

4. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

http://westernwakefarmersmarket.org/Vendors/
    Godwin Farm and Orchards
    Seven years ago, we inherited a family farm with an existing apple and blueberry orchard. That same year, we began farming 1/4 acre with vegetables (primarily tomatoes, squash, corn) and have increased production to now include 7 acres of vegetables in addition to the orchards. We plan to expand both orchard and vegetable production and hope to have a pick-your-own blueberry and apple orchard in the near future.

I bought some apples from them last year and asked the guy where the apples had come from and he told us Four Oaks,I tried to look them up online but couldn't find much.

5. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Honeycrisp apples yet? Last year I was able to get them at Lowes but so far they haven't carried them.

6. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Kroger has them this week for $1.99 a pound.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Godwin's sounds great for the future, in the meantime Millstone is the perfect day trip - just don't know if I can combine with the zoo (we tend to spend all day there).

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

The last time I went to the zoo, I was a bit disappointed anyway. I guess the economy affects every organization, but it seemed they had too few animals there. Just read to that their only female lion just died of cancer. Heck, I'd imagine a trip to the apple orchard would be worth the drive alone. I love apples (currently preferring the Pink Lady variant) but oh, how I love the muscadine grapes and scuppernongs this time of year! My uncle has had a muscadine vine for years and this year they are huge and super juicy. When I was a boy, I lived beside him and would stand under them and eat 'em right off the vine.

9. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

dont forget to get some apple cidar at the state fair this year. they always sell it in that area near the mill where the blacksmiths are.

db's wife

10. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

11. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Jenn - if you like a semi-sweet wine - try the Apple Blush from the Apple Barn Winery! Good "sipping" wine!

Hope you have a great trip!

12. JenniferK

I think I've tried just about everything they have! I really like the apple strawberry! Yum-O!

13. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

LUSH!!!

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Sounds like something Boone's farm would make. JK :)

15. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill - :cheers:

16. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Hey, now...I love me some good wine BUT can't knock ole' Boone's Farm. Nothing says quality like a twist-off top!

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

True dat - but thankfully my taste in wine has improved since the 9th grade, :lol:

18. JenniferK

Oh yeah....me...a lush....

Your memory must fail you....there were times when I thought I'd drink you out of Dt Coke....lol

19. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Lowes Foods has Honeycrisp apples!!! Pricey, but IMO worth it! I bought a bunch and they are large in size, and just like I remember them. Love the crisp texture and they are semi-sweet.

20. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

and rum:lol::lol::lol: j/k