Outer banks, NC Trip ???

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kelyel, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

OK All you 40/42ers that have the scoop....

The Fam & I plan to take a long weekend trip to the Outer banks sometime this year.

What are your top 3 MUST SEE, MUST DO's:

Yes, we have a place to stay on Ocracoke & plan to do Hatteras lighthouse We know about the ferry so - What else is a MUST???

2. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

The Wright Brother's Memorial and Museum is great also.

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Fort Raleigh (site of Lost Colony)
    Bodie Island Lighthouse
    Queen Elizabeth II moored at Manteo
    DEFINITELY Wright Bros. Mem @ Kitty Hawk

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Is Bodie finished maintenance/construction? It was covered with scaffolding when I was there this spring, so was closed ...

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Corolla wild ponies.

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Visit Duck. Just because .... it's a town named Duck. How cool is that???

7. cmdknw06

cmdknw06 Well-Known Member

As of about 3 weeks ago, Bodie Island was still under construction. Def. the Wright Bro's memorial and the Lost Colony was cool, but only for about an hour or so.

8. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Eat at Sam and Omies...about 16 MP

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

What about on Ocracoke ?? Places to EAT?

10. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

The Lone Cedar Cafe for their Shrimp and Grits

Kitty Hawk Kites

Anything in Hatteras

11. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I'm going this weekend.. I'll check it out and let you know.

12. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

An itinerary defeats the whole point of Ocracoke! Ocracoke is a place to unwind and forget about schedules, or even what time it is.

If you’re taking the Cedar Island or Swan Quarter ferry, begin your vacation on the ferry. Have a picnic, and drink some champagne on the trip over.

Bring or rent some bicycles. It's the only way to get around town. Peddle down to Oracoke Coffee on Back Rd and just hang out awhile with a big cup of coffee and a danish.

If you have a 4-wheel drive, lower your tire pressure, drive out to a spot where you have the whole beach to yourself, setup some pop-up tents and relax to the sound of the surf crashing on the shore. Throw a football, bodysurf in the waves.

Sometimes the sand there will squeak when you walk on it, and at night the sand that you kick up will glow like a firefly.

What more do you need?!

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I had fun at Jockey's Ridge State park, and the nieces had a blast!

http://www.jockeysridgestatepark.com/

And as pointed out earlier The Wright Brother's memorial is a must. Well for me it was since they had such a major role in my life.

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Breakfast at the Magnolia Grill on Roanoke Island. Try the seafood omelet. Out of this world.
    http://www.roanokeisland.net/restaurants/featured_restaurants/magnolia_grille

As for seeing Banker's horses, the best way to view them is in their own natural element, not penned or corralled. For that, head to Beaufort, go to the waterfront, and ask the local guys at Island Ferry Adventures http://www.islandferryadventures.com/ to put you near the horses on Carrot Island.

Remember, these horses are protected by federal law. You can approach them, but not bother them in any fashion. By all means, resist the urge to feed them, as nothing you give them will replicate what they have evolved into digesting.

15. TheHabu

TheHabu Member

Dirty Dicks Restaurant for Spiced Shrimp!

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

And the entertainment! My wife almost punched out our waitress, uhh we don't go there anymore.

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I agree with Jockey's Ridge, we spent hours there and had a blast. When you come out the back of the information/visitor center bear to the right and keep going until you reach the water, make a left and follow that along and you will get to a spot where you can enter and walk out in water that only comes up to your knees or so and then you get to a sand bar, and watch out for crabs!

18. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Tips:
    Ferry Reservations are a MUST
    bring snacks & drinks + food for the birds!
    Ocracoke - Pony Island Motel- A+ place, local, med. sz - nothing Fancy - clean & newer.
    Pony Is. Rest. for Breakfast!!! Mmmm!
    Walk everywhere! See it all in 1 day by Foot.
    R&R - thisis the place.

Drive to Hattreas
    See the Lighthouse - WALK to the TOP!!!
    Ferry ride is Free between the island & they run 5-6 ferries all day, small wait.

Eats- lots of places for all $$$$ levels.