Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree:

2. toysrmel.com

toysrmel.com Well-Known Member

I love you go after Johnston County school time and time on this board but yet you and your wife cash a check from them month after month. I am jut saying.

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

ICAM. If you want a free public education, there should be some rules to abide by. Otherwise, you are welcome to go to private school.

However, in this same article there is mention of a boy from Halifax County who did not have to abide by the dress code -

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Poor assumption on your part. I haven't worked for the school system in years. Doesn't mean I'm not interested as I do have a child in the system and I am involved with the local schools.

I do not speak for my spouse. You'll notice that she doesn't post about the school system. As for her employment with them, the parents of the children she teaches are glad she does.

I'm all for public education, and those dedicated to excellence, especially in JoCo. When they do it right, I cheer and brag. When they make choices in my mind that are illogical, then I voice my personal opinion.

Cleo, I read about that case. I hope that this doesn't make it into the courts, and that a tenable accommodation is achieved without involving the courts. But, even if it begins in Johnston County courts, you can bet that there will be a motion to change venue.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You still didn't answer my question. :allears:

6. Hatteras6

I would venture that someone who follows this belief system might be able to answer you. As I do not ascribe to their beliefs, I am unable to answer it. I support their right to believe as they wish. Doesn't mean I agree with or or understand it.

7. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

I have a solution: No more public schools. Maybe some minimum government standards regarding reading, writing, and arithmetic (to protect the rights of minors) ...but other than that, just enjoy your liberty.

Liberty ...too radical right?

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Nice dodge. From what I have read that is available to the public, she is not required to wear it 24/7. Simple as that, problem solved.

Looking for their 15 minutes...........period.

9. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I would be very interested to know how many other persons of the religion choose to wear the nose stud and do so at school or at work. Or is there some other way of expressing her beleif?????? Is it being done elsewhere so that might be precedence setting?
    And by the way--this will show my age. I went to a great smaller school. We got a handbook with rules clearly defined and if you chose not to follow them then you could handle the after school detention or suspension in compliance with your religion.

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

When I read and signed the School Handbook of Conduct I would write in my objections and opinions as items pertained to our Constitution. Year after year I did that so that if something happened it would show that I objected.

Sherry

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sherry, I gotta ask..............so year after year..............did anything change? Did they change the handbook just because of your objections?

I realize that no school administration is perfect, but you know what? It's school, you get through it and you get out. I don't get all this angst about the rules. Live with 'em, deal with 'em and go on with life. It's part of getting along in society. Not every employer is going to bend over backwards to accomdate your differences of opinion, your religion or your objection to the corporate dress code. Sometimes, it's just not about the individual, you know?

12. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I agree, Attention Whores, both Mother and daughter, and then the biggest Attention Whore of them all, the ACLU comes along and latches on to their teat(s)! :evil:

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Biggest Attention Whore? I though she was in Iowa. 8)

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

There's probably several in the running..... :)

15. Hatteras6

How is this a dodge? I know no more about her religious beliefs than I do yours. I believe yours to be passionately held, and I respect that. As for knowing the religious beliefs of someone whom I've never met, nor whose religious belief is something to which I've been interested enough to study, your comment came across as puzzling.

I've made the point in the greater libertarian sense, or at least I had hoped to, that it was about respecting the 1st amendment rights of all, popular or not, well known or not.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You really ought to go into politics..........you'd fit right in!! :lol:

17. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

KDC, I am with you 100% on everything you have said.

18. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Is this their new pastor?

[​IMG]

19. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I got into quite the lengthy debate with a facebook friend about this.

For me, it boils down to this...

This nosestud is no different than a Christian child wearing a necklace or pair of earrings with a crucifix on them.

Do they make Catholic students wipe the ashes off their forehead at the beginning of Lent? Do they make indian students take off their red dot on thier forehead?

The JoCo student handbook goes really crazy with some of it's dress code requirements. Did you know your kid can't wear colored shoelaces? Look it up!

I also think I read somewhere that she just recently got it done, and that taking it out now (before the required length of time you're supposed to keep a new piercing in is over) could cause it to get infected or grow together.

Look, I'm a Christian, but I believe in equality. Equal rights for everyone, whether they agree with my beliefs or not. And I just don't think this girl is getting those rights.

Whether or not she and her mother are attention whores are irrelevant....

20. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

but the same thing would happen if someone showed up with a cross nosestud, they would be suspended too...

the rules are written out should be the same for everyone