Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Yes, they did change from......."If a student has sexual conduct on school grounds, whether by force or consent, they will be suspended until further notice....etc." To: "If a student has sexual coduct on school grounds they will be suspended until further notice....etc."

Get the difference above in the two statements? Huge difference on a person getting raped. They may be minor in some people's mind but not in mine.

I happen to be a parent who reads everything before I sign it, in our school system. Seems way too (hope that's the right too/too) important, in my mind, that parents and administrators get this right. The example above is but one item I contested until it was changed because of concern for students. Sorry, I did not teach my daughter to be a sheep or a by stander if someone is in danger. To blindly follow a mightly important set of rules is just way to high up on my priority list. Anyone here ever raped in high school or on school property?

Sherry

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Jen,

I agree with your stance on this subject. Very well thought out.

Sherry

P.S. Josey....Are your kids or did your kids go to public school?

4. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The people who support this are the same people who will be the demise of this nation.
    Schools have to have rules. Deal with them or go elsewhere.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Sherry, perhaps I should have been clearer, this thread is about the dress code, your example is a whole 'nother kettle of fish I'm not prepared to get into right now. Because honestly, if that happened to my kid and the school tried to dicispline them for an unwanted sexual attack, well, the handbook would be the least of their concerns.

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Exactly......sort of like the parent who had issue cause the teacher gave the kids an assignment to cover their books a certain way and the parent did it another and basically said to hell with the teacher and wanted to get mad at the teacher for deducting points.

had that discussion a while back on here.

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

You mean those of us who wore a uniform and served to protect the Constitution? No doubt, others who served may share your view. Yet, you paint with a broad brush.

When it comes to rights afforded by the Constitution, I prefer to be vigilant. And they're either rights for all, or for a protected class. If you're in the majority and it's the protected class, you probably don't worry about it. What happens when your views and beliefs are denied because they aren't in the majority or part of the preferred stance?

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Guess what? If there are 2300 kids in a school and all of them but one gets it, then the problem ain't with everyone else!
    What happens when your social experiment becomes such a distraction that the other 2299 kids in the school can no longer learn?
    Public school is not the place to make a statement - If they want to exercise their rights they can do it on the street corner all they want, keep it out of the schools. The rule is written, follow it or take your delinquent elsewhere.

9. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Here's a great authority figure for that student to emulate.

[​IMG]

I'm amazed that the Sheriffs employee policy allows showing those tat's? He looks more like a gang member than a cop. Or maybe he's Hawaiian and his religion allows him to show them?

This pic was on the N&O front page on Tuesday.
    Apex Teen

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Maybe he usually works the gang or narcotics divisions and is picking up some OT? Who knows, it's still different from a free public school.

11. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I think it's unlikely he works undercover and then shows up in uniform on the front page of the paper?

The difference is "Do as I say, not as I do." Great concept in teaching moral issues.

12. Cleopatra

You know nothing about Law Enforcement. :lol:

The difference is, he is a paid adult and she is a minor getting a free education in a public school where the dress code is very plain as is her religion stating the jewelry does not have to be worn at all times. I looked for the WCSD dress code but could not find it - do you have access to it?

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:cheers: Cleo, sometimes I just "heart" you so much, LOL:jester:

14. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

I think that is a great point in the whole controversy that seems to get lost. Many point out that Christians wear crosses, crucifixes, etc.......but I really don't know of any denomination that states it has to be worn all the time.......of course a necklace is different from a nosestud.....I highly doubt that a cross nosestud would be accepted in the JC School system.

15. Cleopatra

Because with the facts they would have no argument, better to call people names.

I don't wear a cross to show my faith, I got Jesus inside. :cool:

[​IMG]

A Christian is supposed to act a certain way, so one does not have to advertise or tell others.

16. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

why the judgmental tude?

17. old school

old school Well-Known Member

What unfair accommodations have been made for those of the Christian faith? The Liberals have beat God and country slam out of all the public schools. If anything this nation of Christians should have been a little less accommodating to all the bleeding hearts and stuck by our beliefs and left all the traditional standards in place. Over three quarters of the U.S. are Christians and if we conducted our selves as the majority we are, maybe the school system would not be overrun with gangs, violence and teenage pregnancy.

God Bless America

18. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Not sure how we weak humans forced God to leave school. As far as the Higher Power that I look toward, He doesn't need me. I do need Him. Without me, He exists and is omniscient and omnipotent. Without Him, nothing else matters.

Yet, I am fervently against admin or staff lead prayer or religious activities in public schools or a taxpayer expense. If the taxpayer doesn't want to fund unpopular religious expression, they shouldn't be funding the popular.

19. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

It wasn't meant to be a personal judgement. I was noting a common occurrence.

They make rules for kids in school while the rule makers break them. It's a farce to tell them "no" in a world where those same items are perfectly acceptable. And being done by the very people enforcing the rules. "Do as I say, not as I do."

We also teach the Constitution and the Bill of Rights in schools where our children are denied part of the rights they are taught. Another farce.

Here's the jewelry rule:
    7. Body piercing and jewelry/ornamentation must be worn in good taste, small in size and not disrupt the educational process.

Someone please tell me her tiny nose piercing broke this rule? She broke the rule because someone has the sole power to say "she did". Plain and simple.

http://www.claytonschools.us/publications/High%20School%20Handbook.pdf Scroll to page 18

I find it amazingly hypocritical that those in here who scream, "Less government", "Its my Constitutional right", etc. are degrading this young womans attempt to fight for what she believes in also. Right or wrong in reasoning, she has that right. Lets hope they get the same treatment when their fight comes along.

20. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

She wouldn't have a fight if the 'popular' religion hadn't set the ground rules she's fighting on. How ironic?