Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I understand what you are saying. I was responding, in kind, to those who ask about "do people actually read those things?" the answer, in my case, is "Yep". Just an example of what I found not to be correct in the Handbook. Glad I was able to change a little part of the Handbook during our tenure.

Sherry

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

And I was just about to change my position and defend the girl, based on ddrdan's first "quotation" of the rule......SO MUCH FOR THAT!!!

4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Umm I meant the comments made about the policeman.

5. jennandchad

jennandchad Active Member

This is not a religious issue.....

It's being made one. The rules are the rules. No nose piercings - that it the rule that applies to everyone going to the school whether they have a cross nose piercing, a swastika nose piercing, etc. Period.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

So this individual cannot adorn her body with her religois symbols, fine, but shouldn't we also ban crucifixs?

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

They *are* banned from being jammed in her nose.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I don't understand why is unacceptable on the nose but ok around the neck or wrist.

Well actually I do, it is a cultural / religious bias.

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Because historically/traditionally necklaces and bracelets just as rings/earrings are acceptable jewelry and not solely worn as a sign of a persons beliefs.

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Pleased we agree it is cultural / religious bias.

11. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Hugh. It is against the JoCo dress code. Her religion also states the jewelry does not have to be worn at all times.

This is not a case of cultural or religious bias. It is not an infringement of her First Amendment Rights.

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Sorry, my position is if you are going to ban some Jewelery you ban it all, whether it is religious in nature or not.

Only exceptions I can think of off hand is obscene or hate jewelry.

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I thought you were coming around, but now you're back to your old ways.
    Why didn't you complain at the beginning of the year? The rule has been in place all along. It's not until it becomes an issue that liberals can exploit and make the news on that it's a big deal.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I didn't know about the rule at the beginning of the year. Did you?

P.S. I haven't a kid in the school system, I do however have concerns about religious freedom.

15. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Nope - but I don't need to know the rules to know right from wrong. I don't allow my kid to have a nose ring so it's a non-issue.
    Now, lets turn it around to something I can relate to. I bought my middle school child a nice pair of jeans for going back to school. She loved them and couldn't wait to wear them on the first day. During orientation we found out that they do not allow jeans with holes in them - no if's ands or butts. So guess what I did?
    I did not call Channel 5, I did not call the papers, I told her to wear them on weekends and we got her some that were allowed within the rules. Rules are rules. Fight them if you wish, but don't disobey them.

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Gandhi would be proud!

17. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Now just admit that you're wrong so I can pay attention to the whooping that the Pack is putting on Georgia Tech.

18. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Hugh... I never thought I would have to type slow for you!!! j/k

The JoCo dress code has always been in place, even when my son was in kindergarten at Cleveland Elem. He's going to be 16 in October. :shock:

It is in the parent/student handbook for the HS as well as on the JoCo School website, at orientation (esp for freshman) they generally go over the handbook. The parent and student then sign it, stating they agree to abide by the rules.

Like I have said, *I* think the rules are a bit stringent and kids should be able to express themselves, however rules are rules and we should teach our children to respect authority. My Christian religion tells me that. Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's. And they were amazed at him" Mark 12:17 So, yes. Ghandi would be pround.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

So we will disagree, just because we always did it this way does not mean it is right.

20. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

All jewelry....religious or not....is banned from the nose, eyebrows, face, etc.