What is this wild vine taking over my flower bed?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KB2, Sep 6, 2010.

1. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

I don't know how to post a picture here, and I tore most of the vine out of my flower bed now, so not sure I could get at good picture anyway.

So let me describe it and maybe someone can tell me what it is.

Very spindly vine with small ivy like leaves, and small yellow blossoms that turn to some kind of fruit (like a grape or berry?) The "fruit" starts out a variegated green & almost looks like teeny tiny watermelons, then it turns to almost a dark purple color. They are about the size & shape of grape tomatoes, more oval in shape than round. When squished the inside is more clear/greenish like a grape. There is TONS of "fruit" on this plant/vine.

This vine actually rips away from the ground very easily. It overtook one of my knockout rose bushes, grown all throughout & around it, but didn't kill it. I was able to pull most of it out of the rose bush. It also overtook two huge ground areas of the flowerbed also.

Does anyone have any idea what this is??

Thanks for any ideas!
    -K

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I know just what you mean since we've got them too but so far I haven't found a name for it...

3. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I know this time of year there's a lot of Devil's Darning Needles around, but I think those blossoms are mostly white. Be careful in handling it, though. Some of these vines are toxic (similar to poison ivy) and can cause skin irritations. I'm not sure if I'm immune or not, but I've never had any reactions but some of them can cause mild to severe reactions.

4. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

sounds like you're describing maypops :mrgreen:

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I've got something that looks like a grapevine, but no grapes.

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

We do too and honeysuckle that is trying to take over the side of our house and fence - drives me crazy!! :banghead:

7. AnnetteL

We got them plus Virginia creeper and porcelain vine which we were dumb enough to plant ourselves :banghead: they are everywhere :ack:

8. Jack E

Jack E Guest

[​IMG]

Maypop picture. Great eating and used to be ready to eat just in time for priming bacca ....

9. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

Darn, what I have is definitely not Maypops. Guess it wouldn't be so bad if it was.

Both the leaves and the "fruit" is much smaller than in the picture posted. I also looked at some pics online it is not the same.

I'm going to try to get a picture of what I have and post it in the next day or so.

I hate not knowing what stuff is, thanks for trying to help me figure it out!

-KB

10. AnnetteL

I agree,the leaves on mine look different more like ivy but smaller and more delicate.

11. DancerRaquel

DancerRaquel Guest

It possibly could be a weedy eggplant species... does it have thorns on the vine?

12. AnnetteL

Mine doesn't. It's also not a very tough type of vine such as japanese honeysuckle.

13. AnnetteL

The little purple berry does resemble a eggplant ;),while it's still green it looks like a mini watermelon.
    [​IMG]

14. bridgett

bridgett Well-Known Member

It looks like it could be a muscadine.

15. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

definately has the grape leaf look to it.

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

woohoo, if it is makes a great wine:cheers:

17. AnnetteL

18. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Give it another year and see what it does:) Maybe you will be better able to identify it when it gets alittle bigger.

19. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Boy, do I love the muscadines...especially the scuppernongs. Just got through with two bowls of scuppernongs and they are delicious. There ain't none better, even if you have to deal with the seeds. Speaking of wine (sort of), JR's carries Hinton Farms brand (based out of Pine Level for those that don't know) and they actually have Muscadine/Scuppernong wine there for $10 bucks. Of course, I love their non-alcoholic grape juice for $5/bottle. I'm thinking about getting a few bottles for Christmas to give to family/friends. If you like the typical store bought grape juice, you ain't tried nothing yet until you try a Muscadine or Scuppernong juice!

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

We just came from the new FL at Riverwood, they had free samples and the bottles were on sale for 6.99 each.