Pre-Algrebra 6th grade

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ncmomtothree, Oct 4, 2010.

1. ncmomtothree

ncmomtothree Well-Known Member

Just wondering if other middle schools gave parents any info on the pre-algebra classes (curriculum etc.) at the beginning of school. I think many parents at our school (Archer Lodge) were surprised to even learn that their kids were in pre-algebra. We did not receive a letter, have a meeting-no notification whatsoever. There was a lot of surprise for some last week with the progress reports; I think most were not aware that the 6th grade math had changed and was gonna be harder.

Thanks!

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

At Clayton Middle there was a pre-algebra orientation meeting after the regular orientation before school started. We were told we'd know within the first couple of weeks whether or not they could hack it. They threw it at them pretty good too! And we had 20 days to pull them out and be placed into advanced math or regular 6th grade math. I don't have the curriculum handy but I'm sure if you contact the teacher or the office they will send you the info.

I can't help him in math any more. 11 going on 20 ... when he gets outta hand I beat him with my cane.

Edit - Clayton Middle not WCES duh! I've even called WCES asking them questions about 6th grade... I've been calling them for 7 years now! Old habits are hard to break!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  3. nsanemom22

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My son goes to Riverwood middle and we were told about it at the end of the year last year in a letter that came home. We knew he would most likely be placed in it, but it wasn't certain til school started. I believe Archer Lodge had a similar notification, as my friends kids went there this year. I think it's a huge advantage for them to have the opportunity now, if they are ready for it. I didn't get pre-algrebra til 8th back in the stone age.

5. nsanemom22

Seems like my stone age pre-algebra was in 9th grade. For some reason 9th is more memorable and 8th seems to have disappeared from my memory...dunno... but I've got you by a few... several... years. Hated it then and hate it now. If it weren't for DH I don't know what DS would do. I would have to of hired a tutor for sure! :oops:

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

LOL nsane, I think you and I are close to the same age. :lol: I can't do any of that stuff anymore either, DH will have to handle it from here on out. I had pre-Algebra, Alegebra I and II, Geometry and Trig and I couldn't work an equation right now if someone put a gun to my head. :mrgreen:

7. nsanemom22

I was good in art. :jester:

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Didn't get pre algrebra when I went to school here in Clayton. Started with Alg. I in 8th, Geometry in 9th, Alg. II in 10th, Advanced Math in 11th, and trig/calc. as a senior.

BTW...8th grade was at Cooper Middle school way back in the day. And our schools consisted of Clayton Primary located on 42 across from the trailer park, Clayton elementary located downtown where the Clayton Center is now, Cooper Middle (out in the hood towards Archer Lodge back in the day) and the High School.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  9. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

Aww I remember those days! I went to Clayton Primary and then to that OLD Clayton Elementary but then we moved to the big city of Raleigh for my middle school and high school years. Back then it felt like Raleigh was an eternity away with nothing but trees as the scenery between here and there.

P.S. I was good at lunch! :lol:

10. nsanemom22

yup yup. We moved to Smithfield during the summer before I went into the 9th. Imagine my disappointment when I found out that in Smithfield 9th grade was still Jr. High!