Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Kaci,

Again, with all due respect, in my mind, this is a fight for her civil right of religious freedom. Blacks fought against Jim Crow laws which were legal. Should they not have done so? It's not as if she torched the school in protest. She and her parents protested with the school administration, provided them ( in the federal judges POV ) sufficient evidence to allow an exception to policy. When that failed, they sued under the system of justice that we have in this wonderful nation.

I fear the strong push to conform, yet it really doesn't represent the values of liberty and democratic rule. There are nations with governments who prescribe certain beliefs and observances and proscribe all others. Is this what the community desires to become? If so, count me out.

I'd rather live in a nation of liberty which operates under rule of law.

2. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

How do you feel about Rosa Parks and her refusing to sit at the back of the bus? She blatantly ignored a rule, got publicity, and got her name in the news.

3. old school

old school Well-Known Member

You are honestly going to compare the fight for racial equality to a stud in a dumba$$ teenagers nose? Your are more pathetic than her mother and the ACLU!

4. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I couldn't make it to the service, but I made it for the gathering afterwords.

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Hold onto your boots, folks. Here's where the schools got it right.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39584217/ns/local_news-portland_or/

Although not local, the schools were right on this one. While I support same sex unions, this student teacher was out of line discussing this with a student. The best answer should have been, " I do not talk about my personal life with students." Period, paragraph, end of story.

The place for the student teacher to discuss this is within his own peer group.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

So you don't think freedom of religion is important?

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I got a feeling that as of today she just got the rule changed. Good for her!

8. mmchallen

mmchallen Member

The can has been officially opened. It is so hard to be a strong, guiding parent in this society. Sadly, we take so much away from the public school system that it drives so many families away to private schools. We love JCS, but unfortunately peer influence is a huge factor in the mind of a teenager. Where's that number for Cardinal Gibbons?:cry:

9. old school

Certainly it is important, but I implore you to go beyond your usual M.O. and check this out. It is not a religion, these people can not even tell you about what they believe or why they believe it.:banghead:

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

In school?? Its such the irony

11. old school

I got a feeling she just continued to erode the educational system that is already in trouble. Bad for us!

Thanks hught Murray O'hair :ack:

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Although not for me, this religion makes more sense to me than all the Abrahamic religions.

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You two need to work on your comedy act! :jester:

I have said multiple times in this thread "all or none" you can't discreminate in a public institution just because you can't understand them.

14. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Rights are rights. Would you care to tell me the order of importance and/or priority of our rights? Please be clear. Is Freedom of Speech (Expression) more or less important than Freedom of Religion? Tell me how I should think so I can be as smart as you.

15. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Didn't Aclu have a part in running say, Prayer before a football game outta school.
    It just appears that there is those speaking out of both sides of their mouth on this. Religious freedom for a nose ring but none for prayer. Explain the difference between the two. One you see one you hear but both religious overtures. Comedy act?? Yeah I agree.

16. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Blah, blah, blah, another kids gets their 15 minutes of fame and another school system bows to the liberals. I'm sure if they hadn't then St. Barak would have seen a photo op and stuck his nose into it somehow.

Hey Mom, Can I be on TV like Ariana?​
    Pleeeeaaaaassssssseeeeeee?????

[​IMG]

You're the man, Hugh :roll:

17. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

From what I heard on the news (WRAL) this AM, I don't see that the school system has bowed. It stated that the federal court had ruled that she should be allowed back in school until the trial, which could take months (years). While I agree that she shouldn't be deprived of an education, I totally disagree with the court's decision. There are many alternatives that she could and should have persued to "continue her studies", knowing that it could take a while. I wonder what contingency plan mother and daughter had put in place to continue her education during and after the process having played itself out. :?

18. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

The difference is that the State can not be apart of it. A team can pray before a game, but a coach can not tell the students to pray before a game. The government can not endorse any religion. School officials in their role as School Officials can not endorse any religion. If they were allowed to do so then they would have an unfair authority over the students.

A student can bring a Bible and study it as the Word of God during his free time. The school can study the Bible as literature, but not as the Word of God. I believe that there is a Christian club at West Johnston and there is nothing wrong with it as long as students are free to decide to join it, or not join it.

The Government is not and should not be pushing any religion on anyone. Some schools have a moment of silence during the day and I don't have a problem with it. The individual can pray, but the school is not telling anyone that they need to pray to Jesus and not Allah or Buddha. It is not for the schools or government to say if someone's religion is acceptable or not.

If the school was telling a Christian that they could not wear a crucifix then I would be equally upset. If they asked a Jew to remove his kippah, I would be equally upset.

In some parts of the world Christians are persecuted. It is a shame that the other governments of the world do not have as a basic tenet of government the right to choose your own religion. Here we do and I am grateful.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Far more articulate than I! 8)

20. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

BUT - - - -CRAP!!!! IT'S NOT A [ REAL ] RELIGION. It's just some made up BS following that is not worth the time of day.