Buying a used car

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by INTHEBUFF, Oct 11, 2010.

1. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

I've been noticing more used car lots springing up in the area and was wondering:
    1. Who would you recommend in the area?
    2. How much off would you expect them to come off their asking price?

Most of these cars look to be several years old and have quite a bit of high miles on them. I've never bought a car this way and am just a little unsure of what to expect if we go this route for one of our kids (their money and I don't want them ripped off their first time buying a car but they can't afford a new one, young and just starting out and very limited income).

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

2. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

I sold cars for a while, so let me give you some advice.

1. Get a carfax report! DO NOT buy a car without one. There are other brands of car reports, but Carfax is the best. Most used dealerships will not run one for you. This isn't because they are shady, it's just because it costs the dealer $25.00. Pay the money and run one yourslef. You will need the VIN number from the car to run a carfax. If the dealer balks at giving you the VIN, then run!

2. Have the car checked by YOUR mechanic before you buy it. don't let the dealer recommend a mechanic either. Each used car place has a mechanic that they use to fix the cars, and that's the one they'll refer you to. A used car inspection usually runs about $75.00. Now I know you said funds are limited, BUT if you don't pay that $100.00 you will definitely regret it!!

3. Pay cash if you can, but DO NOT finance through them if you can avoid it. Used car dealers work with finance companies known as secondaries, which means for people with bad or no credit. I have been in situations in my younger days in which i had to use secondary financing, so it's not the end of the world if you have to go that route. Just try other avenues first. If you have a bank that will finance you then go that route and have your kid co-sign.

4. For what it's worth, I'd buy a car off of Craigslist if you have the cash. Take your time and find one you like, then run the carfax and then have the mechanic check it out. The reason I say get one from CL is because the people selling them are just ordinary folks, and they aren't selling cars for a living. I've bought three cars off of CL, did the mechanic/carfax thing, and never had a problem.

Now all that being said, the ONLY used car place I would buy from is Matthew's Motors in Clayton, but I don't think their cars will fit in your budget. If you need anything else just drop me a line. Good luck.

P.S. As far as asking price goes, the used places will normally take off around $500.00. Depending on how long the car has been on the lot they might take more, but I wouldn't count on it. I got $1,000 taken off the price on one I bought from Craigslist, but there were special circumstances on that one.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  3. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

I bought a used car two months ago from Auctions Direct on Glenwood. I was very happy w/ Auctions Direct and the car.

The give you a Carfax report. They have a computer right in front of you so you can look anything up. Kelly Blue Book, other car dealers. You don't haggle over the price. It's set by the car's KBB value and an additional amount.

The guy who helped me was very low key and very helpful. His name is Jay Meyer.

A lot of the cars they have there are leases that have been turned in, so you'll see 3 years old, 30k miles.

I bought a 2007 Altima w/ 16k miles for 18 and change. Leather seats, sunroof, heated seats, push-button start...

I initially went to Auctions Direct because they were open 30 minutes earlier than CarMax and I didn't feel like waiting around.

4. Hoof-Hearted

Hoof-Hearted Well-Known Member

Check the Classifieds on here. there are some good deals right in front of you.
    I just browsed through looks good. and you know you are most likely to get a car that was local. instead of shiped in from a flood area or worse. I say Shop local stay local. check Craigs list. and check on the page that you are on now.

5. We just went through this a few weeks ago. I also have heard good things about Matthews Motors, but their cars were slightly above our initial price range (we were looking at 5-7k, but bumped it up to 9). I used autotrader.com to do searches for private sellers and dealers, and that website is very helpful. I also read good reviews for Anchor Auto in FV, although I didn't find much there. From my personal experience, I liked Exclusive Carz on 401. 'They were nice and not pushy. They seemed to give honest info about the cars, and I didn't feel pressured. Also, they cleaned up their cars real nice. Some places didn't even vacuum them out. A few had ashes all over the front sheet, and reaked beyond belief. Anyway, we ended up buying at Cary Auto Sales. They had a big variety with a range of prices, and they have a price sheet for you with all cars and their prices, so you don't have to ask about every single car that catches your eye. Anyway, we were very happy with the experience, and we are still happy with the car. I went all over the area for about 3 weekends or so looking at various cars, but it was worth it in the end, because I was able to find a good deal. I also found a second choice car at Exclusive carz that I would have bought if the car at Cary Auto Sales was gone, but it wasn't, so I bought my first choice. I definitely would recommend autotrader.com if you have an idea of some makes/models you might be interested in (or to search by price range, mileage etc).

6. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

We bought my daughter's car at Kelly's Kars on 42. He ran a carfax, and we had our mechanic look it over. July last year, paid 5000 for a 2001 Ford Escape. Had to replace the back lock, and buy a new keyless entry fob, otherwise no problems, and 3000 under KBB at the time. We are happy with it still. My daughter was very excited to get the car she wanted, she did not think she could afford it. We paid cash.

7. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Tom S.
    Ding ding ding, your post was a Winer!!! Good Rock Solid Info!

Please understand that Used Car Lots are in the CAR FINANCE Business- not the CAR Selling Business.

Sure they sell cars but they make $$$$$$$$$$+++ on FINCANCE Charges.

Pay CASH, Green Real CASH. If you cannot come up w/ $4K, wait. Save. Then Buy.

There are MANY used $4000.00 cars out there and GREEN Cold Hard Cash can make them yours.

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

http://www.anchorautonc.com/

I bought a car from them a few months ago. They don't finance, you have to have that in place before you purchase. The best car buying experience I have ever had. Carfax right up front, they don't care if you take it to 14 mechanics. Laid back, decent folks, great experience.

I got a 2007 Honda Accord, 39,000 miles, $13,000 out the door (taxes tags license, etc).

9. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

On the flip side of this post, is there anywhere else to just sell your vehicle to besides CarMax? We have a vehicle we are getting ready to sell within the week and the only place I figure we could just sell it to (not trade) is CarMax or list it via craigslist.

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I agree with everything TS said.

I sold my maxima on CL, sold the truck to Auction Direct and bought both DH's hunting truck and my 4 Runner off CL, I feel like we both got exactly what we wanted for a really good price.

Good Luck!

11. harleygirl

YES!!!

Auction Direct on Glenwood Ave. You'll need to call and make an appt.
    Carmax offered me 17 for my 08 F150 and went up there, they gave me 20,500 - HELL YEAH!!! My payoff was 14K, so... 6K was nice to have in my pocket AND get out of a $500/mo stupid payment.
    I WILL NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN EVER!!!!!

12. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Yeah HG!!! Good for you!!!

check your PM's....

13. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Definitely pay cash or do your own financing. Pentagon Federal Credit Union has used car financing at less than 5%, and they are so easy to use. We got our car loan from them. Took less than 30 minutes to get approved and the documentation that they wanted was very reasonable. They mail you a blank check, good for up to the amount that you're approved for. You write the check out for the purchase of the car and they send you the payment information. Super easy and saved us a TON of money.

14. arogronjomom

arogronjomom Well-Known Member

Shout out to HG.

I took your advice and went to Auction Direct. Then, I went to CarHACKS to just be sure I was getting the best deal. Sold our vehicle to Auction Direct for $2500 more than CarMax's appraisal offer!!! I feel like I need a shower now....sleazes.

Thanks!

Barbara

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  15. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

wrong thread -sorry

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  16. harleygirl

YEAH YOU!!!!:hurray::hurray:
    Actually hotwire turned me on to that place!