Nosestud as an religious symbol

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 10, 2010.

1. old school

old school Well-Known Member

You cant be smart as me, as proven by your responses. :lol:

2. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i don't think you are getting what i am trying to say. i am not saying that she doesn't have the right to fight to have the rule changed if that is her strong belief but i do think she should have obeyed the rule while at the same time doing the work to make it change instead of as a CHILD blatantely breaking an established rule in a school. Anyone comparing this stupid attempt by a CHILD at publicity to a true fight for rights and liberties by adults is not seeing the whole picture. Should we teach all our children that if you don't like the rules just go ahead and break it, mommy will get your name on the news? Like i have said from the beginning, if you believe the rule is wrong then fight to change it but don't teach children it is ok to break it. These are CHILDREN folks.

3. Suzie Q

Suzie Q Well-Known Member

After looking at the website for this “religion” I think her mother should be reported to the Department of Social Services for subjecting a minor child to these grotesque and sick rituals!

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Give it up Kaci! Common sense is dead. I think we need to throw it a funeral.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree:

7. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree: I think this girl will learn a lot from this experience. One being "stand up for what you believe in".

I wonder how many discussing issues against this family are fond of the Tea Party? Just sayin'.

Sherry

8. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

I guess this will be her next look at school, maybe then it will be a distraction!! One piercing allowed could and probably will lead to more. If she wanted the nose ring with her why not wear it around her neck til after school then place the nose ring back in.. Its not about standing up for what you believe in, its learning that people have set up boundaries and sometimes you just have to live in them.. As far as it being a religion, I was always taught believing in yourself was just good ole self esteem!!

But to each their own, I see a hard road for this girl in the future!

9. sassymom

Sherry you do realize that in this statement it still implies all sexual conduct.. to exclude forcible (sp) conduct it would still need to state that.. something to the effect:
    If a student has sexual coduct on school grounds they will be suspended until further notice unless it was a forcible act...

atleast that is the way I am reading your post.. it may be more specific in the handbook but you didnt state that here.

10. Sherry A.

It does read differently than my post and I apologize for any confusion. At the point where I was debating the issue they changed the policy where it made sense for non-consensual sex but after doing some research this morning I see West Johnston has it back in for consensual and non-consensual, which probably means the whole system has it back that way. I hate to see that for the kids and know they had changed it when our family discussed the issue.

Sherry

11. sassymom

You may not agree with this next statement but think about it before you respond:

I think the schools should leave that statement in the books, for the main reason of if students get caught misbehaving how many will claim non-consensual if they know they will not get in trouble. I honestly feel that in case of a true rape the student assaulted would in no way be held accountable, no one asked to be raped..

12. Sherry A.

When I started high school in Alabama the dress code read that all girls must wear dresses or skirts and they should be a certain length. I had been living all over the world and our last assignment had been in Norway. Most of my clothes were slacks, sweaters, blouses, etc. My parents could not afford a new wardrobe nor did they believe girls should have to wear only dresses or skirts. They sent me to school in slacks and a blouse, actually I wanted to wear the outfit as I felt comfortable in it.

My parents were called and told to pick me up and send me back to school in appropriate attire. My father went to see the Principal and told him that the attire that I was wearing was appropriate. I was suspended until it was resolved. My parents attended a School Board meeting and questioned the policy. I was reinstated and the dress code was changed as it was gender biased, per the adults.

The other item my parents fought for was stopping corporal punishment in the school. I learned a lot from fighting within the system to change items that just are not correct. Please realize that my dad had just returned from Vietnam and believed that freedom was more important than petty school board "control" issues.

This girl's family beliefs may be different than most of us but it is their right to fight for what they believe in. It is the school system's job to teach kids, not values because that's a parent's responsibility, but history, math, reading, science, etc.

Judgment can destroy families, communities and countries. Whether it is her religious belief or not it is a right we have in America to challenge and speak up. I love this country!

Sherry

13. Sherry A.

I understand what you are saying but if one takes the handbook at face value and follows it strictly, as everyone wants them too regarding this girl, the school has the right to suspend the person being raped. I don't believe kids are quick enough to think about crying rape if they are having consensual sex, but that's my opinion.

Sherry

14. sassymom

but now how far will this be taken. Look at the picture posted above, this is what her church promotes, if she wants to do this and show up to school you are saying its great bring it on. But at what point does the school have to say enough is enough.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Some of you can't see the forest for the trees. There are procedures in place to change rules. Showing up at school repeatedly when she KNOWS she's going to be suspended for not following the dress code is showing your ***, not fighting for rights. Not one of you has given a single good reason why she can't follow the dress code other than the fact that she doesn't WANT to. Maybe her and her mother would like some cheese to go with that whine.

16. sassymom

Trust me girls these days are a lot different than you and I.. A lot of kids are not taught values of any kind and its all about getting what you can get.

17. Sherry A.

To heck with it, let's go back to corporal punishment and stone anyone whose beliefs are different or who want to change anything. Let's see who will want some cheese and whine. :mrgreen:

Sherry

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I see your little green face, but seriously? Once again, you choose not to logically answer the question.

19. Sherry A.

How many times does it have to be said that it is a part of her religious beliefs, whether we understand them or believe it or not. It's been clear since the beginning so I didn't think we had to go back over that again. See where Judge allows her back in school and lawsuit will probably prevail.

Sherry

http://www.boston.com/news/educatio...s_nc_school_to_admit_girl_with_nose_piercing/

RALEIGH, N.C. — A federal judge ordered a North Carolina school to admit a 14-year-old high school student suspended for wearing a nose piercing she says is part of her religion, and the teenager headed to science class yesterday afternoon.

US District Judge Malcolm Howard ordered the Johnston County schools to suspend enforcement of their dress code for Ariana Iacono and allow her to return to school immediately. The judge ruled that the girl and her mother are likely to prevail in the lawsuit filed on their behalf by the American Civil Liberties Union.

“We are thrilled that Ariana can return to her studies,’’ her mother, Nikki, said in a statement released by the ACLU. “Ariana was an honor roll student in middle school, and she is eager to get back to her classes and continue with her education as soon as possible.’’

20. Sherry A.

I still believe that if one person who is getting raped on school grounds gets suspended because of this rule it will be horrible. Just one counts, in my opinion.

I do agree a lot of kids are different in today's world but I know that when I was a teen the adults thought the same thing about our generation.

Sherry