So what's going on around Polenta Elementary?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by TheSantaFeMan, Oct 12, 2010.

1. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Actually, as one poster mentioned, I think some "neighbors" had an idea that things weren't quite right, since there were very flashy cars constantly there. And those of us who monitor our kids' facebook pages were concerned about what looks like a bullet proof vest that one of the kids is shown wearing in one of his profile pictures. So please try to realize that homeowners have a legitimate concern for their families' safety, and property values, and are trying to figure out how to best keep things like this from happening in the future.

2. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Now see, if you had just admitted your bias against renters yesterday, we could have saved a lot of time. However, i can assure you that at no time did Carroll Construction have the idea of building rental houses in Island Creek but when houses dont sell, for whatever reason, the builder has to get his money out of it it somehow and often times they make them rentals until such time someone wants to buy them.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I'm sure you are a nice person, but I just cannot believe you really think like this. I sure hope I never have to rent a home near you and all your stability. wow.

4. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

When I lived in Florida there was a homeowner who had a marijuana farm in their house. It was about a mile from where we lived with an average home sales price of $250,000. You just never know. We found out when they got busted and there was crime scene tape in front of the house. Everyone was in shock!

5. pocahontas

I

Stability=people not moving in and out every 6 months-year...Argument?? The issue is between homeowners in Island Creek and the owner of the rental home. Hopefully this will never happen again, in this neighborhood or any other.

6. Grinder

Actually the issue is between a few elitists and the renter of the home, not the owner. As was pointed out, there is nothing in the covenants that say Carroll can not rent out a house they own in Island Creek. Tony did not break any rules or laws, the renter did. That, is who you have issue with.

7. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Criminals own homes as well.. its everywhere. If you want to live somewhere without neighbors you are in the wrong area!!

8. KellBell

argument is it's NONE OF MY BUSINESS why folks move about....that's what.

Maybe folks move about (rent) because their ex husbands are stalking them or threatening to take the children.

Maybe folks move about (rent) because they are a single mom and they aren't sure where they will end up to make things good for their kids.

Maybe folks move around a bit because they are building a new house and its not quite ready when the old one already sold.

Maybe folks move about because they just moved here and they can't figure out where they want to be.....

I could go on and on....

9. pocahontas

For the record, I never said he couldn't rent, I said there are many who would prefer that he didn't. Isn't the owner the responsible party, in the end, for making sure the rules are followed? Wouldn't the other homeowners' issue be with the homeowner, and the homeowner-landlord's issue be with the renter?

10. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

:hurray: Good Point!!! Being I am a renter in the SAME home going on 6 years. I treat it as if it was my own! Now if I can just get the fence done I will be good to go..not all renters are bad!

11. pocahontas

I never said or inferred this.

12. Grinder

Nope. The neighborhood owners issue is with the renter only. Since there is no law or rule against the rental house in the first place then you have to go after the renter. Carroll, or any other landlord, has no say in what goes on in their rental houses UNLESS they are aware of it going on. Meaning, if the landlord has no idea that laws are being broken, or the house is being torn apart, then there is nothing he can do to the renter. He can make an appt. with the renter to come inspect the property (at the renters convenience) but he is allowed to come in and make repairs to the property regardless of the renters convenience. So unless the landlord has gotten wind of laws being broken in his rental unit, there is nothing he can do.

Until time comes when Carroll can sell that house, you are stuck with it and might just want to learn to accept it.

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm going to take my own advice and keep my big mouth shut.

<carry on>

14. pocahontas

A "For Sale" sign in the yard would help move it; he seems to still be moving homes in the neighborhood.

Until then, I'd ask the landlord to try to be more vigilant in the future, to make more visits to do maintenance, require parking passes, do more extensive background checks, ask for referrals from previous landlords and employers, continue to perform credit checks, and open a line of communication with the other homeowners through the HOA so that he has a set of eyes and ears in the neighborhood for his property.

15. Grinder

Sure. Go ahead. You have his office number im sure but dont pretend that you want the eyes to look out for the interest of his property. You want the eyes to know whats going on inside the house because, after all, they are just renters.

Just curious. How many eyes do you have on the rest of the real owners in the neighborhood?

16. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Seems like a neighborhood version of Mrs. Kravitz's on the loose. Here's a simple solution. Buy the house. I'm sure Mr Carroll is doing more than half hearted attempt to sell this place. I've never known of a developer that held onto rental property for all the profit it brings in, especially after the wear and tear affects the ultimate sales price.

17. KellBell

18. pocahontas

Whatever. I'm sure it will all work out.

19. pocahontas

:roll:

20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree: