So what's going on around Polenta Elementary?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by TheSantaFeMan, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

What's POCO mean?

Sherry

2. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Last time I checked wearing a bullet proof vest wasn't illegal, so what was there to report? That would be kind of a pointless phone call wouldn't it? But it is enough for me as a parent to think maybe my kids shouldn't be spending a whole lotta time with this kid, or his family. To each their own, I guess.

So monitoring my kids on facebook is now a name-calling worthy activity? Really? I'd be more embarassed to say I didn't.

What either of these things has to do with asking the landlord to be more vigilant in choosing his renters is beyond me.

3. pocahontas

:roll:

4. pocahontas

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I think he could have and should have done more, and would like him to do more in the future.

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

pot of creamed okra?

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

pack of crazy ostriches?

7. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Bet ya a bowl of lobster mac and cheese that if the seller of her house asked her to sign a form for a complete background check before she was able to buy the house, she would have balked and screamed to high heaven about her rights and how that was a violation of them.

8. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Well...

Unfortunately the drug problem is only growing instead of weakening.. so yes, it'll probably happen again in all variety of neighborhoods with all variety of people .. renters or homeowners OR homeowners family members that still live in that home...

9. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Lord help me I read this whole thing. My two sense is: no matter where you live or who your neighbors are, whether you rent or own there will be problems. Just keep your eyes open and see whats going on around you, without being nosey. People break the law everyday and they don't get as much attention as this has. Instead of trying to figure whos in the wrong here try to find a solution. Stop pointing fingers at sooooo many people when there really is no one but the criminal to blame. Being an owner does not make a better class of people it just makes you a home owner. Everyone have a nice day.:)

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

My suggestion is that you purchase the home. Then you can do whatever you want or don't want with it.

11. JPinJOCO

JPinJOCO Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with renter's. There is plenty of reasons not having rental house in a neighborhood helps homes value. Its a fact. No one is saying having an owner would have prevented it either. You guys quick to post your posts that have no dog in the hunt can kiss off.

Tony Carroll rented the house to help a friend at the beginning. Since then, not one sign to sell has gone up even though right down the road he is selling some. Homeowners would just prefer to have stable neighbors that owners bring, but if not, no big deal, we know its not going to prevent the crime!!!!

12. JPinJOCO

Hatteras, trust me your wrong. This has been a rental from the beginng. Well, it was on the market for awhile I admit years ago, but then once it was rented the first time, it has remained there with no market listing for sale.
    That is a fact, no question about it.

My question is, with islamnd Creek homeowners discussing their neighborhood, what makes you and Grinder speak up all the time and act like experts on the matter? maybe not you as much, but grinder tells us what we really think and he has no clue.

13. JPinJOCO

Come on now, let's not get personal like that. Why dont you non Island Creek homeowners stay out of this discussion or either just agree to disagree with her?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  14. JPinJOCO

POCO, your points are noted and are legit as are some of the other points of view. Don't ever apologize to jackasses on a message board for doing what you think is right for your kid's safety. Right or wrong, your heart is in the right place.

15. pocahontas

I don't know why you keep stooping to name calling, really.

I certainly wasn't lookin out the window all day ...drinking wine. As a matter of fact, part of the time I wasn't home at all, and then I couldn't get home when I needed to. But again, not sure what that has to do with asking the landlord to be more vigilant in the future with his rentals. And I already answered your question about what else he could have done in post #75. To quote myself for your convenience..."Until then, I'd ask the landlord to try to be more vigilant in the future, to make more visits to do maintenance, require parking passes, do more extensive background checks, ask for referrals from previous landlords and employers, continue to perform credit checks, and open a line of communication with the other homeowners through the HOA so that he has a set of eyes and ears in the neighborhood for his property." I was criticized for this last suggestion, although that is what an organized community watch does and no one ever criticizes those.

I really have nothing more to say, and I'm tired of defending myself for trying to think of some way to keep my kids and my family safe. I'm tired of the personal attacks out of the blue and the false accusations. I only have concern for my family in mind at this point, and my neighbors and friends.

16. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Communication does not have to go through the HOA. If there was suspicious activity before this all went down, why didn't any of the neighbors contact Tony Carroll directly? I'm sure he would have wanted to know, and he's not that hard to get in touch with.

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

why don't y'all just burn the landlord at the stake? of course, this is just for those that live in that subdivision.

:roll:

18. pocahontas

Honestly, hind-sight is 20/20. I guess it looks like we should have. Now, all we can do is ask for everyone to do better. Maybe we should implement an official community watch program through the police department. I don't know. I'm trying to figure out a way to make it safer. I also think there are other things the landlord could have done, and again I'm sure hindsight is 20/20 for him as well. But I don't see any harm or offense in asking him to do more in the future.

19. tams

tams Well-Known Member

I think the people in Island Creek who are so outspoken about this situation should have done a background check on the people their kids are hanging around.
    As far as other kids watching the "whole horrible thing", why would a parent allow this? I know I wouldn't.

If you are so concerned with the children's safety, just do a background check on all their friends parents. See what you come up with. JMO

20. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Hope you don't ever live in a military town. God forbid one of our military have to move in 6 months due to deployment or reassignment. **GASP**