Early Voting

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KDsGrandma, Apr 14, 2010.

1. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I usually don't call her on it, but this time I just couldn't resist saying something.

2. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

(laughin')....I get such a kick out of folks....

Again, I say I can not comment on the decisions of others. Yes, the information was forth coming.

I realize that Democrats don't understand that many Republicans do not agree with the concept of Early Voting and all of the fraud which might occur.

(laughin')......

Its just a Republican thing. I know. Democrats would love to have early voting for 30 days prior to the actual election day but many Republicans feel that it gives the opportunity for fraud and is not something which our government should invest in during times when the Democratic Governor is talking about not having enough money for something as important as education and cutting positions in the school system.

I never did read any comments about the amount of money spent state wide for 15 days of early voting.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

(howling)

You might want to understand that KDs was actually helping you. Whether the GOP likes early voting or not doesn't matter.......registering people to vote after the deadline is wrong if they don't understand. You spoke about it as if it was a big deal on how many were registered that night and that's why one asks, since you knew about it, how many registered and were they told it was after the deadline?

Sherry

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

*snort

5. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

The Cleveland Campus -JCC "One Stop" Poll is now set up and will be OPEN THURSDAY 10/14/2010 at 12 noon till 7pm.

6. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

How many days will this be going on??

7. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Thurs 10/14 till SAT 10/30.
    6 days a week.

8. KDsGrandma

Thanks for your hard work in every election, Kel! Poll workers like you are an under-appreciated, but vital, element in our democracy.

Any resident of Johnston County can register and vote at any of the 3 early voting sites.

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Correct - Register & VOTE same day @ the ONE Stop (Early) Voting.

BUT you cannot register & vote on ELECTION DAY.

10. KDsGrandma

What do they have to show as evidence of citizenship and residence if they want to register at the one stop site?

11. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

http://www.johnstonnc.com/joconcelections/econtent.cfm?page_desc=reg

How to Register to Vote

First, check to see if you are already registered at:
    http://www.sboe.state.nc.us/VoterLookup.aspx?Feature=voterinfo.

If you are not already registered, you may register to vote in Johnston County if you are:

A citizen of the United States (if convicted of a felony, citizenship rights must have been restored).
    A person 18 years of age of older.
    A legal resident of Johnston County for 30 days by the date of the next election.
    Johnston County has a permanent registration system. You need to register, transfer, or re-register ONLY if you:

Have not registered in Johnston County before.
    Have moved to a different voting precinct since you registered in Johnston County. If you move, it is a violation of the law to return to your old precinct after 30 days.

Wish to change your party affiliation.
    Have changed your name.
    Complete the Voter Registration Application
    The State Board of Elections issues the standard Voter Registration application. <<See above link>>

To register to vote, complete the Voter Registration Application and mail it to:

Johnston County Board of Elections
    P.O. Box 1172
    Smithfield, NC 27577

For more information about the standard Voter Registration application, please contact the State Board of Elections directly at:

State Board of Elections
    P.O. Box 27255
    Raleigh, NC 27611-7255
    919-733-7173
    http://www.sboe.state.nc.us

A voter registration card will be mailed to you once your registration application has been processed. They are mailed monthly. Keep the card as it may be used to change your address by mail should you move, change your name or change your party within Johnston County. It can also be used to cancel your Johnston County registration should you move out of the county.

A registration form must be postmarked 25 days before election or delivered to the Board of Elections office no later than 25 days before election in order to be good for that election.

Your voter registration may be placed in an inactive status if a voter card is returned by the Postal Service as undeliverable.

Party Affiliation
    When you register, you will need to declare your party affiliation. You may register with any recognized party in North Carolina. Party affiliation determines the primary in which a voter is eligible to vote. You may also register unaffiliated. During a partisan primary election, an unaffiliated voter may vote only in a party primary that authorizes unaffiliated voters. If no party authorizes unaffiliated voters, they may only vote in non-partisan races and bond issues.

Registration Locations
    You may obtain registration forms at the following locations in Johnston County:

Board of Elections Office, 205 South Second Street (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
    Public Libraries during regular hours
    Public locations including the Chamber of Commerce and political headquarters
    Various Town Halls
    Drivers License Offices
    High Schools
    Various Agencies (Social Services, Agencies dealing with people with disabilities, Employment Security Commission, Armed Forces Recruitment Offices)

You may also request a registration form by phone or mail from:
    Johnston County Board of Elections
    205 South Second Street
    P.O. Box 1172
    Smithfield, NC 27577
    (919) 989-5095

In addition, you may change your address by filling out the back of your voter registration card and returning it to the Board of Elections. CARD MUST BE POSTMARKED 25 DAYS BEFORE ELECTION OR RECEIVED IN THE BOARD OF ELECTIONS OFFICE BY 5:00 PM, 25 DAYS BEFORE ELECTION.

12. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Now the Short Answer:

Proof of Residency is required.
    Sample ID:
    Bank Statement
    Gov. Check
    NCDL
    Other Gov. Doc.
    Paycheck
    Photo ID (NC DMV ID)
    Utility Bill

Citizenship is a Yes/No question box.

Same as the "Are you 18 y/o or older."

ALSO a PO BOX is not a Residence.

13. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Appx. 150 voters today at JCC- Cleveland Campus.

14. granola acres mayor

granola acres mayor Well-Known Member

also at the jcc annex

15. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but aren't they using JCC annex instead of C3 this year?

16. KDsGrandma

You are correct. That quote came from something I posted back in April, during the primaries. Maybe we should start a new thread for each election, to avoid confusion.

17. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight. If I have a utility bill in my name and check "Yes" on the U.S. citizenship box, I can legally register to vote? Huh. And the dems insist that illegal aliens can't vote. :roll:

18. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Yes....but

Keep in mind NC has a LONG HISTORY of NOT allowing a person to VOTE... think 1920-1970... Poll taxes, Land ownership, Jim Crow laws...
    So then the Laws bent the other way.... sign here - You can vote...almost.

19. KDsGrandma

No, you cannot legally register to vote unless you actually are a citizen. Lying about your citizenship on a voter registration form is a felony. If you know of a case where this has occurred, you should report it to the board of elections. Of course it's theoretically possible for unqualified people to register, but there is no evidence of it happening in large numbers. Bear in mind, the photo ID that is preferred is a NC drivers license, and I believe you have to be a citizen to get one of those.

20. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Appx 150 people voted today at JCC Cleveland- Did you??