Best Neighborhood for Trick-or-Treating on Oct. 31st?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KB2, Oct 17, 2010.

1. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

So, maybe this is an odd question, but is there a really great, participating, w/close houses neighborhood to go to for Trick-or-Treating somewhere close to the 40/42 area?

While I LOVE my neighborhood, it is NOT easy to navigate,(very hilly, houses set back far & not a lot of participation).

I come from NO. Va. where we lived in a townhome developement and it was SOOO easy to trick-or-treat & for the kiddos to hit a LOT of houses. They loved it & were not worn out to the core afterward. (one year we did it here in my neighborhood here & it took twice as long, with half as much "loot" & the kids were beat,so not as much fun)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-K

2. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Wow...I don't mean to be rude, but please don't come to my neighborhood.

Halloween is an opportunity to spend time with my neighbors and their children, a local thing. I really can't afford to hand out candy to everyone who trucks their brood into my neighborhood.

Anyway, no offense intended. There are many church sponsored events that I'm sure would welcome your participation.

Peace.

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    COMMUNITY FALL FESTIVAL Time Again!​
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Come and enjoy GAMES, CANDY, BOUNCE HOUSE,
    SLIDE, and MUCH, MUCH MOORE!!!
    Wear your non-scary costume and bring the whole family!
    It will be loads of fun!
    Date: October 31​
    st Time: 3 – 5 p.m.

Location: 411 N. Fayetteville St.(across from church office), Clayton.

4. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

:iagree::iagree:

5. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

How about if I bring along candy to pass back to you & your neighbors to cover the expense? Two pieces each to cover the two that would be given to my two boys? (Not trying to eat you out of house & home or anything, just want to give the boys a fun experience). :? Sheesh.

I do see your point somewhat though, if loads of outsiders come into a neighborhood, I can see how that might be annoying.

Anywho...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  6. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

That souds like fun, we will have to check that out. Thank you for the helpful suggestion.

-K

7. Crysta

Crysta Guest

:iagree: I agree with this too, although for different reasons. While I couldn't care less about how much candy we hand out, it angers me that outsiders don't care about the rules of the neighborhood. Our subdivision covenants forbid go carts, quads, dirtbikes, golf carts, etc. in the subdivision. Yet last year we had a ton of golf carts and quads come through (in addition to the people that came through in their cars and parked in the right of way while they're kids ran up and got candy). When we tried to nicely inform people of our rules and offer them a place to park their vehicles and walk, they completely ignored us. Obviously we weren't willing to refuse candy to anyone's kids, but we all found it to be highly offensive. I'm not sure if or what we will do differently this year, since I'm more than happy to have anyone come in that is respectful to the neighborhood, but I don't look forward to dealing with the jerks that came through last year. I'm new to the idea of trick or treating outside of your own neighborhood, and I grew up in a very rural area where you just had to walk very far if you wanted a lot of candy, but I understand that the parents just want their kids to have a good time.

8. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

Well I can understand how a scenario like that would make you not want to have outsiders come in. However, I've never witnessed anything like that. I wouldn't think that the numbers of outsiders would be so large that they would be noticed at all. When we lived in a town home development, kids/parents from some of the single family homes would come & trick-or-treat at our neighborhood because it was so much easier for the kids. (I knew this only because a friend of mine was one that did it & told me others did also) Otherwise, I never would have noticed. I didn't know every single neighbor in the neighborhood, so how I would I know if it was someone who lived there or didn't? No big deal as far as I'm concerned. Neighbors or not, it's just for the kids enjoyment anyway.

There are plenty of people that knock on my door for Halloween that I don't know. Many times I have just left a big bowl of candy out and put a note to "Take 2 only please” because I'm out with my own kids. I have NO IDEA who has come and gotten candy. I have never come home to an empty bowl either, so everyone seems to have used his or her manners.

Unless your someone that knows every neighbor & every child in your neighborhood, I bet you wouldn’t know whether my kids & I belonged there or not. We would meld right in, be polite and have a great, fun night.

It’s too bad that such a fiasco happens in your neighborhood. That is strange.

-K

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:cheers:

10. Ny2NcMom

Ny2NcMom Active Member

I hate to jump in and put my 2 cents in but I have too. What is the difference if people from other areas come trick or treating in your area? The way I look at it is kids just want to have fun and get candy. When I was growing up we were out from the time we got out of school until dinner then went back out until 9pm. We would walk miles, it was more about who can get more candy. LOL.... I know it is different down here with all the rules and restrictions they put on it. But still who really cares if kids from all over come to have fun in your neighborhood. The first year I was here in NC I went out and bought bags and bags of candy for all the little kids.... I had like 10 kids come to my door... How disappointing it was.

Anyway I just feel it is rude to tell someone not to come to where they are that it is a neighborhood thing.... Get over it and let the kids enjoy the holiday!

11. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Hey KB, you can come to my neighborhood. A couple of years ago we had a lot of kids come to the house, but last year we had maybe three. I was really disappointed, because I go all out. I'll PM you and let you know where I live. We'd be happy to have ya!

Don’t worry about all these old Scrooges. They’re probably the kind that stand on the front porch yellin’ “Hey you whippersnappers, get off my lawn!” :lol:

12. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Re: "not being able to afford passing out candy to everyone" - buy what you can afford, turn the light off when you're done! sheesh.

I didnt know there was even a problem going to other neighborhoods for Halloween. We do it every year. We're suppose to suffer that our neighborhood is boring because hardly anyone participates? (it's an isolated area, no one really expects anyone to come) And what about the "haunted houses" that do it BIG and want as many people as possible coming? Am I not allowed to go to them because it's not my neighborhood? haha good one.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Some neighborhoods welcome anyone and everyone. Riverwood Golf is a BLAST!! Those folks know how to have fun. I wish DS wanted to trick or treat because I have about as much fun as he does. I'd love to have trick or treaters at my house, but we aren't convenient so no one bothers. Makes me sad. I love to see the kids.

Ignore the grouchy ones and go out and have fun.

14. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:grouphug::grouphug:

15. Tom Servo

Were you a hall monitor in elementary school? :lol:

P.S. Outsiders. Too funny.

16. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

so nice...

we go to riverwood if we stay in the lodge, if not we go to Walkers Ridge

17. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

We only got 4 in our neighborhood the last couple of years. I think our neighborhood is too much like work. The houses are spaced far apart.

18. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Y'know, I guess it's like most things- moderation is the key.

Call me what you want, but I just don't appreciate it when I see a steady parade of Suburbans jammed with kids stopping every fifteen feet to hit up another house. My kids walk until they are tired and then they're done.

What happened to walking door-to-door, saying "please" and "thank you", and maybe leaving something for the next guy instead of trying to grab as much loot as you can? ...and what does it say about the parent that encourages such behavior?

Not to imply in any way that the OP is such a person, but I see this every year and it's just disgusting.

19. Tom Servo

Okay, fine. Outsiders (that still makes me laugh) aren't welcome in your neighborhood. Maybe you should walk around the neighborhood and check I.D.'s. :lol:

P.S. What was it that HughT said about liberals? Oh yeah..."tolerant and generous". :roll:

20. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

no offense Gomer, but it sounds pretty snotty to tell folks you don't want them in their neighborhood trick or treating. Like someone else said, buy your normal allotment of loot and when it's gone, cut your front porch light off and be done.

just sayin'....:mrgreen: