Names for Grandparents

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tatertot36, Oct 25, 2010.

1. tatertot36

tatertot36 Well-Known Member

My husband and I are going to be grandparents in May. We are trying to decide what we would like to be called. What are some good choices?

2. cece

cece Well-Known Member

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My son calls his paternal grandmother Grans, all the kids have called her that for nearly 30 years. His paternal granfather is just "Paw". Always has been. Sweetest folks ever. My son calls my mom Granny Jo, her first name is Johanna, but she goes by Jo. Her husband (not his actual grandfather) is Paw Dave).

I have always, always, called my own Grandmother, just Grandmother. She didn't hold with any cutesy names. :mrgreen: "Grandmaw" or "Granny" might get you fanny busted, LOL. I still call her that and I'm nearly 40 and she's nearly 79.

4. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

My kids call my dad "Pop Pop" my mom is just "Grandma"

I called my grandparents
    "Poppyand Gram" and
    "Palka and Beppe" (they were Dutch though, that is the Dutch names for grandparents)

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

A lot of times the children will decide what they are going to call you, and it sticks. :)

6. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I looked at the list and thinking about it now, I don't think I ever pronounced the N. I know I didn't pronounce the D. I called mine gra-ma or gra-mamma but for him gran-daddy. Still no D.

Congratulations!!

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thats what my grandparents learned!

I called my maternal grandparents Grammy and Grampy, and my paternal Grandfather was Grampy also. (They were the carbon copies of Edith & Archie Bunker from All In The Family)

my maternal great grandparents were "meme" (pron. meh-may) and nana.

8. Crysta

Crysta Guest

My kids have grandparents and great-grandparents, all of whom picked their own 'names'. The only one that my kids changed is my dad's. Most are ethnic. We have:

Nonna (Italian)
    Oma and Opa (German)
    Bubby (Jewish)
    Mom-Mom and Poppy (he was Pop-Pop, but my daughter changed it)

9. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

whats your grandkids call you?

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's how Granny Jo came to be. I think it's cute.

11. shar824

Oma and Opa is also Dutch names for grandparents, from the southern regions of The Netherlands I believe

12. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

My grandkids call me GiGi... it's means gorgeous grandmother...or so I'd like to think so!

13. lissa27504

lissa27504 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!

My children call my parents Grandma and Pappy. Their father's parents are Granny and Grand-daddy.

My nephews call my Mom "Momma" because my oldest nephew (first grandchild) said it and it stuck, but when I was pregnant with myfirst child I told my Mom I didn't like that, he has one "Momma" and that's ME!!

My maternal grandparents are Granny (called Gran) and Poppy (sometimes called Pop). My paternal grandparents were MomMom (pronounded Mum-mum) and PopPop.

There are so many variations this days....good luck!

14. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Tatertot - I'm going through the same thing! First grandchild due in December. She will have a Nonna and Poppa but I want something a little different. Thought about Oma (which I really like) but my son didn't. My parents will be Mema and Pa - the other great-grandmother will be Nanaw and paternal granddaddy will be Papaw. Not sure what the step-grandmother will be called (I'm sure they won't let me have a say in that! LOL!) So I guess I will just let Lyla decide what to call me when she can do so. I sorta like "g-ma". Never thought I'd like to be called "granny" or "grandmama" - so I'm opting for a newer modern version! Best wishes to your family while you wait! We've got 7 more weeks! Can't tell I'm counting the time - only problem is that she will be in Virginia!

15. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Oma and Opa are German because that is what my niece and nephew call my inlaws who are pure German. They even speak fluent German as they still communicate will relatives in Germany.

16. shar824

Yes, both German and Dutch, with the Dutch language it gets interesting too with with different words for the same thing, different dialects for different areas of the country which is only the size of RI to begin with! Hence, my best friend had an Opa and Oma and mine was a Beppe and a Palka, imagine the confusion of a 5 year old

17. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I second that ;)
    there they can also be called Großmutter und Großvater, the ß is a letter in the German alphabet which doesn't exist in the English one.

18. Hoof-Hearted

Hoof-Hearted Well-Known Member

We are called Nanna and Pappa.
    My neice used to call her grandparents Oma and Opa. it is greman.
    meemaw and pee paw is used widely in the south.

19. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Mine were Nanna and Pop Pop on one side and Granddad and Mamaw on the other.

When its my turn I am going to be called Granddad. My wife will be Oma - since she is German.

20. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

i am pengma to my grandkids, i didnt want to be granny and my mom is grandma and i wanted something else. my friend suggested it since i collect penguins. its so cute to hear my 3 year old grandchild call me pengma. her other gma is called meme.my hubby is pops