Festejos

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Loriana, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Loriana

Loriana Well-Known Member

Just tried Festejos Mexican restaurant at the intersection of 70/Main Street in Clayton. Cool atmosphere and very authentic food. It was a little pricier than La Cocina and slower (although authentic food takes longer to cook) but all in all was very good. I would recommend people try it---they seemed slow on business and I hate to see good restaurants not make it.

2. smithfielder

smithfielder Member

I ate there last week after reading about it in the News and Observer weekend section (where it got a good review). Food was excellent. Service was very poor, which may explain the small crowds.

Worth a try; service can improve with practice, and as I said, the food was quite good.

3. Loriana

I agree. Service was nice, but slow.

4. NCGIRL

NCGIRL Well-Known Member

We went there today for lunch. I agree, the food was great. The service was not that bad either. The staff was very friendly and we had several people taking care of our table. They haven't been open that long so I am sure that they will improve on their service. I will go back when I am over in the area.

We are looking for a good Baja type resteraunt to go to in the area. Any suggestions?

5. CountryRoads

CountryRoads Guest

Poor Service

Long time lurker, but this topic made me register and take the plunge.

My wife and I went here twice recently, the first of these two visits was on the Saturday following the Friday review. It was about 6pm or so and there was about 10 tables taken (over two thirds of the place was empty). The service was horrible, easily the worst service I have had anywhere. Our waitress could not speak loud enough to be heard. When we orders the guacamole prepared @ the table, the waitress said 'she was too busy' and decided to bring us the stuff they make in the back days in advance. We stated we did not want that stuff and she proceeded to make the guac table-side but complaining the entire time. The food was average for this type of place.

The next Thursday we had friends over and decided to give it another try. We had the same waitress and this time it was a ghost town. The service was still horrible, we were wishing we would not get her again, but no luck. The food was better this time, but still nothing better than La Coc on 70.

We wont be going back, we'll either head to La Coc and fight the poor layout and crowds or for authentic Mexican head to the place on Main St. Its a shame to see a place like this have a chance to make it, but the poor service will be the downfall of this place.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I want to try the place yet, but I have enough to keep me interested until the whole food poising thing is worked out. I might then feel the hunger for Mexican food again.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Did you leave her a note in lieu of a tip that said "I was going to leave you a tip, but I was too busy"?

8. shardee428

shardee428 Well-Known Member

Sorry about the food poisoning. I've been there and it SUCKS. I didn't eat out for close to a month afterward.

9. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Currently I don't have food poisoning, and never ate at this place, but every day I hear in the news about the nationwide issues that they think are traceable to restaurant salsa.

I figure I can wait a week or two before I eat any Mexican again.

10. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Try the place down on Main Street....Oxoxaca or something like that. Sergio is a great owner and host. The food is top notch.

11. Loriana

Really? Are you just used to American Mexican? Don't get me wrong, I LOOOOVE La Cocina, but this place is much more authentic.

12. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

I think she meant food poisoning sucks. that's how i read it anyway. (well, the 3rd time. first and second time i got the restaurant, but the wording didn't entirely fit)

13. Loriana

OK, I get it now.

14. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Has anyone been here recently? Is it still good?

15. Tweetyluvzme

Tweetyluvzme Well-Known Member

Delicious as ever!

16. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Never had a bad experience. And the post by "Country Roads" in 2008 seemed like a competitor trying to ruin the real deal. I do not believe Country Roads has ever posted since. In any event it is 2 years later and Festejos is still there.

17. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Love this place!

18. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Good enough for me.

The lil' lady doesn't care for La Cocina (!) so maybe I can get her to go here. I've 'almost' been in there a few times but I'll definitely go now.

19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

best salsa around.