What day are the kiddies trick-or-treating?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Katt9, Oct 25, 2010.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

word.

I don't know anyone going on Saturday....why? because Halloween is on October 31st every year. Not rocket science.

I think it's funny that 'parents' are trying to change this...because it's inconvenient for them. The kids that trick-or-treat, don't give a rats patoot what night they go, never have.

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Exactly - there is never a question about any other holiday!

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with Gomer.

4. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

I don't see what the big deal is. Halloween is not a religious holiday and from what I can remember trick or treating has never been done on Sunday around here. A lot of things are not done on Sundays. Growing up here we never even played all on Wednesday nights because it was church night.

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

New Year's Eve is not a religious holiday either, but it is not moved to be more convenient. I don't see what the big deal is with Halloween, the kids only trick or treat until 8 or so.

When it falls on a Monday, it's not moved to Saturday. Same with it falling on Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.

6. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is a big deal or not, but it doesn't make sense to me to go trick or treating when it isn't Halloween and Halloween is on Oct. 31, regardless of the day of the week. If it is for church or religious reasons keep your children home and explain to them why, and if someone is at church then they are at church that evening and not home to give out candy no big deal. (no not you specifially just making a comment 8))

7. Tangerine

I just thing its one more thing for parents to complain about. The kids don't care.

And New Years was not founded on witches and ghosts and spirits. Maybe that's why.

8. shar824

we all know there will always be someone to complain and find fault with something.

My thought is, if the excuse that people don't participate because Halloween is on a Sunday and for religious reasons that is a hypocritical crock, if it is for religious reasons he/she, their kids wouldn't participate no matter what day of the week it was!

Hence go trick or treating on the 31st no matter which day it falls on.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!!!:cheers:

10. Cleopatra

Neither was Halloween - much like New Year's marking the New Year, Samhain marked the end of summer. Combine that with the Christian Holiday of All Saint's Day, mix in some different culture's traditions and of course Hallmark and VOILA ~ Happy Halloween! :)

11. Tangerine

A lot of people don't cut their grass on Sundays out of respect of it being Sunday. Doesn't mean they are hypocrites for doing it on Monday.

12. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

History of Halloween

http://www.history.com/topics/halloween

Halloween, celebrated each year on October 31, is a mix of ancient Celtic practices, Catholic and Roman religious rituals and European folk traditions that blended together over time to create the holiday we know today. Straddling the line between fall and winter, plenty and paucity and life and death, Halloween is a time of celebration and superstition. Halloween has long been thought of as a day when the dead can return to the earth, and ancient Celts would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off these roaming ghosts. The Celtic holiday of Samhain, the Catholic Hallowmas period of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day and the Roman festival of Feralia all influenced the modern holiday of Halloween. In the 19th century, Halloween began to lose its religious connotation, becoming a more secular community-based children's holiday. Although the superstitions and beliefs surrounding Halloween may have evolved over the years, as the days grow shorter and the nights get colder, people can still look forward to parades, costumes and sweet treats to usher in the winter season.

PS: If you come to my house on Saturday, sorry all I'll have is wine :cheers:

13. Cleopatra

I remember reading Little House books when I was a kid. They would prep all of their food and do all of their chores on Saturday. They would even walk to church on Sunday because setting up the rig was work.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I think you are missing the point. If their objection is that it's about spooks and ghouls, then they shouldn't participate in Halloween no matter what day it's on. Moving it from Sunday to Saturday doesn't change that.

15. shar824

But what is the reason behind it? If they are only not doing it because of respect for it being a Sunday and they don't know the reason why...only just because..... in my book yes.

According to the scriptures and my own beliefs, God created Sunday as a day of rest.

16. shar824

Yes that is all I'm saying

17. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

:iagree:

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:hurray:

perfect!

19. Tangerine

Now that's just reaching. Anyway trick or treating will be Saturday night at my house because that's what the town has set up.

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

How is it reaching?? Either you believe Halloween is about the devil (or whatever) or you don't. It's either "evil" or all in good fun. What difference does it make what day of the week it is? None at ALL................................ You only believe in evil the other days of the week??? :lol: