R/C Helicopter

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by pkc789, Nov 10, 2010.

1. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

My son is turning 9 and wants a new R/C helicopter. He has a small one that falls part when it hits the floor. It hits the floor because it doesn't work correctly and you can't slow it down. Need recommendations on something under $50 that he won't break instantly and that will work correctly.

2. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

I will look it up when I get home if no one answers you there is a place in Raleigh that sells these I have an airplane just have to be careful with other radio towers as it messes with my remote and I lose control but it last for a few crashes out of the sky.. I think I paid 25 or 30 for mine..I got one off ebay as well so you may want to check there..

GL

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

As he is turning 9 I'd honestly look into something a little more that he could honestly learn with and that would teach him a little responsibility along the way. Granted it's going to cost more, but should be well worth it in the long run.

Examples:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/rc_helicopters_197_ctg.htm

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Personally I think the Chinook style looks kind of cool.

5. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I've got the blade heli on the hobby web sight. you don't want it for a 9 year old ! It flies great but not for beginners. Also, the gears strip occasionally so you have to be somewhat mechanical.

6. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Quadracopter

This isn't what you're looking for, I know, because of the price, but it sure is pretty cool.

My latest Macworld featured it and I found this youtube video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRDYdZxkXnQ

7. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I'd hat for that thing to hit me in the head! LOL I'd be snatched bald in a heartbeat. I wouldn't be fretting so much over getting a hair cut any more that's for sure!

9. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I did that to my wife. Bumped the tail rotor to her hair. She won't pleased but didn't get too upset cause the 4 year old thought it was funny.

Just get one of the Air Hogs. They are cheap, work ok, and don't break easily. My 4 yo flies it till it bounces around the floor in the corners. Set it back up and it flies again. They don't maneuver like the tv commercial! I've got other "cheap" helicopters that I won't let my friends fly. If you want one you can really control, spend $200 at least. real rc helis ain't easy. Not designed for kids.