Kid invited to The Junior National Young Leaders Conference. Need fundraising ideas!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Our daughter was invited to attend The Junior National Young Leaders Conference in DC early next year. We just got the letter today.

Tuition is pretty expensive and they want the first chunk of change at the end of next month. The next chunk (which is twice the amount of the first), due at the end of Jan, and the last chunk due at the end of Feb.

There's simply no way my family can afford this and my daughter is thrilled to the moon about the invite so we came up with a plan to put together some sort of fundraiser. (Mainly too, to teach her responsiblity and to literally earn the privilege of going).

Since everyone here is local, I was really hoping you guys could throw out some suggestions? Maybe someone on here has had a child attend in the past? We do know about applying for financial assistance but we would rather not. We would rather she work for every cent to raise the money.

So far, we are planning a yard/bake sale. Someone also suggested sending out letters to local businesses. Any suggestions on where to send? Car wash is out of the question since its too cold outside.

Point blank, I can't tell her no she can't go. I'm just in a bit of shock at the amount and the little time to put it together. She's a straight A student, hardest working kid I have ever met and she loves to do volunteer work for other people.

Again, any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!
    Thank you so much!

Heather

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I believe that this progam preys on parents because they are banking on us all wanting to give our kids the best experiences and opportunities out there. My boys are grown, but I knew something wasn't quite right when I got that in the mail some years ago, and my son was not what you would call, ahem, at the top of his class, grade wise. Although he was talented in other ways, scholastically, he was having a hard time. Really really look into this program before you throw any money it's way...it may be a good opportunity to have your daughter research it first.

4. ferrickhead28

I understand how people will have different views on this, I totally get that. It's my kid. She did research it, its something she's interested in and she does see this as a stepping stone for her future. :)

She's 12, straight A student, hopes to get into Early College Academy then transfer to Oxford University to become a Mathematician or to another college to become a MSL or some sort of scientist. To me, at her age, speaks volumes. When I was her age, I was more worried about my social life than my future, lol.

All I can do is support her and hope to guide her through this. We have spoke to students who attended the past few years and its something she wants to do. She's a bright kid, I trust her on this one.

But thank you, especially for the Ambassador info, that is something else I will look into for her as well!

I appreciate it! :)

5. smellarat

smellarat Well-Known Member

Check out the "It Takes All Kinds" Thread and give Kristy a call. Might be a good way to earn some extra cash.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

No... read the NY times article and do some investigating yourself.

You trust a 12 YO to do the research on something like this? A quick google showed me it was a feel good scam. My son was all those things at 12, but in the end... he was 12. I remember when he got the "Who's Who" invitation in the mail. Hook. Line. Sinker...

Still going?

Why don't you ask the kids she knows how they raised the money? Does the group have informational meetings of what to expect with past attendees and their parents to share info on the experience itself and how they raised money for it?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  7. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

We did the same thing with Who's Who. Our daughter was so excited. We rec'd the book and the print is so tiny with ump-teen names. I quickly multiplied what we sent in with an estimate of the amount of names.

But we have the book in the bookshelf in the office. And haven't opened it since after receiving it. But we have the book!

8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

True Story

I once had my phone listed in the phone book under "U. Benjamin Hadd", shorten that and you get "U Ben Had" (I told everybody the "U" stood for 'Utley'. :)) I even talked the bank into letting my "roommate" be a co-signer on my checking account! I received many offers in the mail, but I think the funniest one was from a so-called "genealogical society" that had compiled a history of the Hadd family, and wanted me to buy the book ....FOR $50.00!
    The pitch went something like this: "Congratulations, Mr. Hadd, we have researched the Hadd family and published a book of it's history, AND YOU ARE IN IT!"

I declined.

9. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

I am going to have to agree with PRM on this one.
    We received the same invitation for my daughter. When I opened it I was furious! I always want the best for my my kids however I will draw the line on an opportunity that costs over $1500 for a "Leadership Conference" for an 11 year old.

Why not do something local to help them with leadership? Their are bound to be some leaders in our communities that would volunteer a little time to help the youth.

I too am tired of the scams...

10. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

My son has received many of those tempting offers over the years. He got the DC letter, the Who's Who book...just too many to mention. I say wait until your daughter is older and if she is still in the top of her class, some better LOCAL offers will come her way. My son is in 10th grade and has been asked to apply to the NC School of Science and Math. There is also a student leadership thing at NC State he could have attended and has been invited to the Duke TIP summer program a couple of times. (Wish I would have let him do that one!)

11. smellarat

But the big promises in its mailings and the sheer volume of its business have gotten the company into trouble in the last few months. At least one lawsuit has been filed over its conference during the inauguration, and in February, after nearly 25 years in operation, it lost its Better Business Bureau accreditation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/education/edlife/leadership-t.html

This quote is from the first link Cleo posted. This should tell you all you need to know. It is not easy to lose Better Buiness Bureau accreditation. Hate to burst yours (and your daughter's) bubble, but other people who took the time to respond to this thread and post links are shedding light on this matter. You should be grateful for the advice and not put one penny into this. Hold out for something local and legitimate.

12. smellarat

By the way, Heather, I know you are proud. Being a straight A student is no small accomplishment. She will be fine. Don't waste your money or have a fundraiser for this kind of bs scam.

13. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

I agree that this conference has one goal only - to make money. Your child is incidental to this. This is not an honor. Its a sales pitch!

http://www.science-house.org/student/eyh/index.html
    This is a local workshop targeting middle school girls and their teachers/mentors to encourage girls to explore careers in Math, science, and engineering.

Is your child in Mathcounts? That is another organization that she may be interested in.

14. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

Colleges and scholarships do not look at ANYTHING done in middle school. I served on a major scholarship interview committee for three years. At no point did anything out of high school get put on the application, asked about in the interview, etc. This will not help her reach any of her goals.

In high school, the Hugh O'Brian Youth (HOBY) Leadership Award is worthwhile. It's also very legitimate and helps with a child's future. Being a Scout and earning the top awards helps as will leadership positions in clubs/student government.

My fourth grader got invited to go to AUSTRALIA last year. Really? I researched it thoroughly and (of course) she was thrilled at the possibility but it is never going to happen. Those company's are money makers, pure and simple. They are not legitimate leadership opportunities. To be honest, most people I know refuse to donate money for something like this because most of us are well aware that it is a scam.

15. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

I don't think you can solicit donations unless your are a 501C. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

16. ferrickhead28

Oh trust me, I'll admit, I was PO'd when I saw the price and the due dates. I'm pretty much taking this out of my hands and letting another relative deal with it to put it nicely, lol. So yeah, I'm reading your posts, let's just say that. ;)

But PLEASE bombard me with LOCAL leaderships, workshops, etc. I hate to say this, but I think her school lacks on sharing some of the things local colleges offer. Thankfully we have forum boards where parents can talk. :)

Thanks everyone!

17. ferrickhead28

Thanks so much for this!!! I have never heard of Mathcounts. Do you have any info on it? Sounds like something she would love though! :)

18. ferrickhead28

I just googled the Duke TIP summer program. Wow. So they have to be invited or can we register them? She was picked to take the SAT/ACT, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

19. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

mathcounts.org is the website. The organization provides resources to the school for a club and/or a competition. There is a lot of info on their website, and you should contact your school to find out if they partcipate or would be willing to participate. Good luck!

20. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

State also has an awesome leadership program that some of my students attended.