School letter--??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Is anyone thinking it's a little goofy to not allow children chapstick in school?? All my kids have it and have never had an issue w/ anything. Plus, it's the only thing that doesn't have their lips bleed all winter long. They also said no cough drops. I just don't see how chapstick can even remotely be perceived as "medicine." Is it me or has common sense just gone out the window lately? Am I the only one on here who thinks this is being petty or do others think this is silly too? They seem to ban something new every single year. Just curious on others thoughts on this.

Stephanie--mom to 7

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

For what grades?

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Zero Tolerance = Zero Common Sense

I would go to the Doc and get a note, but I am bitchy like that.

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

I havent gotten that letter yet, but i remember it from last year. We were just talking about that this morning. Last year i told my son to smuggle the chapstick and i would deal with the consequences. Its a stupid rule and he gets bad chapped lips.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

WTH is the reasoning behing THAT?? I am a chapstick fanatic!! :?

(Actually Nivea is my fav right now, LOL)

6. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

So far, I've only got it for 1st grade. I'm waiting for the others to arrive.

Stephanie--mom to 7

7. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Not sure of the reason but just thinking about it, I assume they are banning it due to the fact that children tend to share alot. Sharing something like that spreads colds and viruses. I would think they are trying to keep kids healthy. But if your child really needs to use it than I would take Cleo's advice and get a dr note, no matter how silly you think it may be.

8. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the rule, and it does sound silly. That being said though, I definitely wouldn't want my kids to think it is okay to break a rule just because I didn't understand it or agree with it. I think the proper steps would be to find out why the rule was put in place, then find out if your child can be exempt from it. More and more I see kids these days who think if they don't agree with the rule, they can break it. Chapstick seems insignigicant, but kids will learn to apply this same reasoning to more important rules as they get older. Just my opinion.

9. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

If sharing is the concern then why not leave it to the parents to instruct their children to NOT SHARE, and throw it away if someone else takes it and uses it. Children get sick, it is part of building up their immune system. You can't protect them from everything. :roll:This seems like another example of overkill on the rules. I totally agree with whoever said "zero tolerance=zero comon sense".

10. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I think it's a bit much for any age, but for the younger kids it does become one more potential distraction, projectile, etc. I can picture chapstick ending up on a desk or someone constantly going in and out of their backpack all day for it to the point where they aren't concentrating on the work (Note: I am not saying OP's kids or anyone else's specifically...just thinking out loud)

Again, I think that if it's not something that's caused problems in the past they should let the kids at least have the chance to bring it in and then have it taken away if they misbehave with it.

11. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

which schools?

12. Grammie

I am sure most parents do instruct their children not to share certain items, but we all know kids will be kids. Telling kids to NOT SHARE is not right either. That encompasses alot. I know that getting sick is a part of building up their immune system, but I have a grand son who when he gets sick has to go on a breathing machine. So if people want to get in an uproar over something as silly as chapstick then so be it. The overkill is this thread blowing everything out of proportion. If your child needs chap stick because their lips get so dry they bleed then talk to the school.

13. LovingLife10

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Seriously? Who is blowing what out of proportion? I've seen folks ask what the reasoning is and that they will get a doctor's note. Sorry your grandchild has issues, but they are not everyone's issues. I don't think telling kids not to share personal items is a big deal. We don't "share" like that at my house. My toothbrush and chapstick are MINE, we don't drink after each other, etc. How hard is that to instill? Not very, speaking from experience.

Using someone else's chapstick??? :ack::ack::ack:

15. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Please don't try to make it seem like I was saying that parents should tell their kids not to share anything ever. Sheesh. Obviously that was not what I meant...we're discussing chapstick here. I tell my kids not to share personal items like chapstick, drinks, combs, hats...I'm sure most parents do. These little rules school admin make up each year are the overkill. If a child is using it inappropriately and disrupting then teachers should take it away. Otherwise, leave them alone and stop causing grief for good kids by making up silly rules. I would think it would be more distracting to have kids with sore, cracked and bleeding lips than to let them carry the chapstick.

16. JCoRes

JCoRes Well-Known Member

Pretty sad about the chapstick deal but

I gotta agree with above. Just like the dad who'd bring his son to our neighborhood, park on street by my house, break out their fishing gear & walk thru my yard right by the sign planted right in the middle of the walkway PRIVATE PROPERTY, NO TRESPASSING.
    That use to irk me to the fact of sorta like above situation .. dad just teaching kid to ignore signs in people's property and do what you want.

As much as some rules seem outrageous the children should be taught to follow and respect the rule even if they don't like it. And of course as already stated, if medically needing to be exempt, then call the doctor and have them fax over a completed form stating medical need.

I think the rule is stupid but my daughter will just have to apply before going if need be and then when she gets home. Fortunately easy for us because she only gets chapped lips from excessive licking her lips which she'll have to learn to not do so often.

17. Grammie

Please read the post I quoted.

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I did. Sorry, doesn't seem to be an over-reaction. If they have to ban chapstick in school, I think we have big problems with common sense. But again, common sense is to teach your kids what is appropriate to share and what is not. Oh, wait............that means actually parenting?? Heaven forbid!!!

19. Grammie

And that I agreed with. Talk to the school if its that bad I am sure they will be aloud to take it. If the school says no then they are not using common sense. A note was sent home, if you disagree call the school.

20. LovingLife10

Just curious...does anyone know why this rule was put in place??? It seems to me that some teachers and admin think of all of things that they get tired of dealing with and make rules for it, hence silly rules. Things like learning to share some things while not sharing others are the teaching moments that NEED to happen. Until I know why the chapstick rule was made, I can't say for sure that it applies to this rule in particular, but some teachers and admin have managed to get around teaching kids life lessons by creating rules to make their own lives easier. The frivilous rule-making is a mentality that making rules is better than letting kids be kids and teaching them along the way. If a teacher sees a kid sharing chapstick, or a drink, or some other personal item, he/she should explain why that's not appropriate, then impose consequences if the kids do it again. A lot of teachers will say they don't have time to deal with these kinds of issues, but I've been a teacher for years (staying home with kids currently) and sometimes these kinds of lessons can be just as important as the curriculum.

The main part of this thread (not the OP) that I don't agree with is that it's okay to break a rule that is in place because you don't agree with it. Contact the school, work to get it changed, get the doctors note, whatever, but don't just do what you want to despite the rules.