Gift Search Thread

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Crysta, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for the lists of presents/toys we still need to buy. My girlfriends send me their lists every year and then we let each other know when we find a great bargain on one of their items or track down something they're having a hard time finding. I posted this on a parenting group I'm a member of, and thought it might be a good idea here too.

The idea is to add your list, with a special notation next to anything you're having a hard time finding, or if there's a certain price you're hoping for, or even if you don't mind if it's used (like a bike). Look through everyone else's list and keep them in mind when you're shopping or see good bargains. Hopefully we can help eachother out!

Also, feel free to post any random good bargains you find.

2. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Some good bargains I found today:

-- TRU has a 25% off coupon for all of their bikes, for today only, that can be used on their sale bikes as well. Dh just went and said they still have a ton of bikes in stock.

-- Walmart has 3 different 20" Mongoose bikes online for $54, plus $2.97 shipping and tax

-- TRU online has a bunch of Zhu Zhu pets and accessories for 50% off with coupon code 941688, for today only. If you sign up for their 30 day trial of ShopRunner, 2-day shipping is free. Use a virtual credit card for the ShopRunner sign up, and you won't have to worry about canceling on time. I got a 2-pack of pets for $8 after tax.

The only things I had on my list so far were a bike and some zhu zhu pets, which I got today, so I don't have a list to add yet. I shop almost entirely online, so that's where most of my deals will come from.

HTH!
    Crysta

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Dammit!!! The TRU zhu zhu deal was yesterday. GRRRRRR.

Thanks for the heads up on the bikes.

Keep me posted on upcoming zhu zhu deals. I have two girls close in age, so I have to buy twice as much.

I'm on online shopper too. JC Penneys sent me a code for 20-30% off plus free shipping, today and tomorrow - 4NICEVIP. I saved 32.00 and got free shipping today.

I am looking for Pillow Pets. I need two, the unicorn and the puppy. I would like to pay less than 40.00 for a pair of freakin' pillows. :neutral:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Do you have or know someone with a Kohl's charge card? We got ours (purple unicorn and ladybug) at Kohls. They are $21.99 less the 30% code, so $15.39 each plus tax. The 30% code is HOLIDAYGIFT and then you can get free shipping with code FREE2MVC. The codes are only good if paying with a Kohls charge card. Their selection isn't great, but I just checked and they do have the puppy and the purple unicorn in stock.

Hope that helps!!

5. Cleopatra

I just got my Kohl's charge today (don't tell my hubby, he makes Dave Ramsey look like Daddy Warbucks), and saved a ton of money. Can I use Kohl's cash online? That would really sweeten the deal (yes, I am *that* cheap). Otherwise, I will just do as you suggested.

N/M The stupid unicorn is no longer available. How long are those codes good for?

6. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Sorry, I didn't actually click to check availability. :( The codes are good through 11/17. You CAN get Kohls cash online. And I think RewardsRunner is offering an additional 12% back (not sure what the percentages are at ebates or other places).

If you're going to be near a Kohls in the next few days, check their selection. You can return/exchange online purchases in store. So you could always try buying one of the other animals and exchanging in-store for the unicorn. I think shipping took about a week.

7. Cleopatra

I was thinking the same thing! I am going to call the store and see if they have them and then buy two puppies. You need to post more often, I only got 15% off this morning - I could have gotten 30%? Ugh.

8. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Walmart will have the zhu zhu pets for $4 on black Friday.

9. Crysta

Crysta Guest

TRU will have them and the Kung Zhu pets for $5 on Black Friday. I wonder if either TRU or Walmart will have them for that price online? TRU did much better with their Black Friday sales online last year, but you had to order fast before prices jumped back up.

10. momtofive

momtofive Well-Known Member

I usually have a list by now and am searching for deals but I haven't managed to get that far yet this year. I'll keep checking here for deals you guys find and will post any that I see.

I did see Pillow Pets at the Smithfield Wal-Mart last week and they had all kinds - even the unicorn. I think they were around $20.

I did want to ask . . . what is a virtual credit card?

11. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Most credit cards have them. If you log into your credit card account online (not sure about debit/bank cards), it's usually called Shop Safe or something similar. You choose the maximum authorized amount and expiration term, and it generates a 'virtual' number. So if the site you're using tries to overcharge you, sell your credit card number, or do a second charge, they'll be denied. We used one with Atlas when we moved...which is the best decision ever because they tried to upcharge us $2k and our credit card reversed the charge. So it's great to use for any of those free trials where they charge you if you forget to cancel, because they can't charge you. You can also use them to find great deals on Priceline, if you want to be a bit sneaky. Just don't use them anytime you're doing an in-store pick-up (like Walmart Site to Store), because they have to see your credit card at pick-up.

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I called my sis to tell her about the Pillow pals (or whatever they're called) because she was looking for 2 for her kids. She said she saw them at BJ's for about the same price as Kohl's w/ the discount. Just passing it along...

13. Soccermom81

Soccermom81 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where I can get a good pair of womens skates for my daughter. That is the biggest thing she is asking for this Christmas other than clothes and make up. Thanks.

14. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Ice skates, roller skates or in-lines?

15. Cleopatra

Got my pillow pets today, two for 25.00 delivered to my door in a week. Today they did not have the puppy dog, but had plenty of unicorns which was good as Thing II was looking over my shoulder and was more interested in the purple unicorn than the brown puppy dog. No return hassles for me, yay!

16. Crysta

Crysta Guest

Amazon has a lightening deal going on right now (I think it will last until 1pm EST) for the Toshiba 7" portable DVD player for $49.99 with free shipping. This is a few dollars more than the 7" RCA that Target will have on Black Friday, but IMO Toshiba is better and this won't require you waiting in line at Target at 3am on Black Friday :) Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Also, Amazon has a DS/Playstation portable handbag on sale for $5.99. I think it's pretty cute for a little girl, and a good way to store all their games and accessories. Free shipping with Prime or $25 purchase. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VDNEI6/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20

To get to the $25, you could add a few of the DS games the have for super cheap, including:
    Ener-G Dance Squad for $6.81 http://www.amazon.com/Ener-G-Dance-Squad-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001DJ7PEG/ref=pd_luc_sim_02_04_t_lh
    Real Soccer 2009 for $6.28 http://www.amazon.com/Real-Soccer-2...ef=acc_glance_vg_ai_purchase_similarities_t_3
    Golden Compass for $8.07 http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Compass-Nintendo-DS/dp/B000R4J4WE/ref=pd_sim_vg_5
    Guitar Hero on Tour: Decades for $6.06 http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-Tour-Decades-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001G1FLJC/ref=pd_sim_vg_8
    Blue Dragon Plus for $6.49 http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Dragon-Plus-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001G9F9JQ/ref=pd_sim_vg_16
    The Chase: Felix Meets Felicity for $7.99 http://www.amazon.com/Chase-Felix-Meets-Felicity-Nintendo-DS/dp/B001HZ30J0/ref=pd_sim_vg_14
    Red Bull BC1 for $6.19 http://www.amazon.com/Red-Bull-BC-One-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0019SVPJ2/ref=pd_sim_vg_10

Or the ton of other games they have for under $10.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I would just be happy with a clue what to get my child for Christmas. He has too much stuff already. And he's at a tough age, not a "kid" anymore but not a teenager either (thank God).

18. Crysta

Crysta Guest

TRU has Zhu Zhu pets and accessories on sale for 50% today as their deal of the day. Sale includes Zhu Zhu pets, Kung Zhu pets, Kung Zhu accessories, cars and armor. Go to the TRU home page and click on Daily Deal to get the coupon codes. Each coupon code is good for one item, and they can be stacked (for a total of 4 items per order). Logout and do another order to use the coupons more than once. Just be sure to use a new email address. It let me use the same ShopRunner, address and payment, so you can get the free shipping on each order.

So in two orders, I got 4 pets, 2 armors, 1 tank, and a playset, for just over $40 in total.

19. Cleopatra

Thanks Crysta, keep those zhu zhu deals coming!

20. Crysta

Crysta Guest

I'm trying to decide whether to buy more at this price! I got my last order and the 2-packs that I ordered are much nicer than I expected. Instead of just being the basis pets that they show in the picture, one of my sets was the dalmation looking one and the brown one with the horseshoe on the back. I picked up 2 more sets and I'm wondering if I should go for a third. At $4 each, you just can't beat it!